Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
How much did you spend on food for Rosh Hashana?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:50 pm
I just did my shopping for Rosh Hashanah and am surprised at how much I spent. I spend $350. We are a family of 5 (but more like four bec my two youngest can probably be counted as one since they don't don't eat an adult portion yet) This is in Brooklyn.
I'm wondering if I overspent or is it just that prices went up?

How much did you spend? How many people are you, and where do you live?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:53 pm
I spend over $200 last week and was surprised. yotzeit licht went up as well as other things. tonight we're eating something simple.

it's not easy!

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:56 pm
Hello!!! Thousands between clothes shoes food food and more food. You are doing ok

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:00 pm
I'm in Lakewood and I also walked out of the grocery store with major sticker shock after I saw my food bill for Rosh Hashana. I don't remember it being nearly this high in previous years and my family size didn't change

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:04 pm
Food prices have gone up tremendously especially meats and bakery items.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:05 pm
Everything went up across the board. Chicken a lot. Didn’t have same meat salsas as on past.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:06 pm
About 750 for a family of 6 but I cooked more than I needed and I’ll freeze the extra portions for later.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:06 pm
A lot, I've no idea how much but I'm shocked as well at the food prices Sad I live in the uk, but it must be everywhere.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 3:15 pm
$200 for a family of 4

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:19 pm
Food prices are insane. I only bought chicken, no meat, and tried to shop sales as much as possible. If you see something on sale and you use it, stock up, because prices just keep rising.

Fox

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:38 pm
$350. One meal will have a total of 9 being served; the other three meals will be 2-4.

imanotmommy

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:57 pm
Around $250. I'm serving a different number of people per meal, but if you add up the total portions I need over the whole R"H, it's about 25. So average of 6 people per meal.
I don't think I spent that much, though if I had been trying to keep it to a minimum, it could have been much less.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:59 pm
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
Food prices are insane. I only bought chicken, no meat, and tried to shop sales as much as possible. If you see something on sale and you use it, stock up, because prices just keep rising.

That's what I was doing for the past few months and I now have two freezers full and I am storing food in a spare room. I think you can say that I have officially gone overboard, lol. But when I went shopping for Yom Tov I didn't spend too much (already bought most of everything before). So maybe there's a silver lining to being crazy.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 5:26 pm
I don't really know for sure. I made a roast and part of it will be served on Succos. I also bought different meats and chicken and deli to freeze already. So I can't just add up the receipts. L'kavod yom tov. May we all enjoy abundance and the means to pay for it easily.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 5:31 pm
I’m surprised to hear people people buy things specifically for Yom tov. Obviously this is not an option for everyone but even in my tiny tiny apart we make room for a deep freeze so we can stock up on meat and chicken on sale. So we didn’t buy any of that. Obviously there are things that we need specifically (simanim etc) so we did some shopping today to fill in, but many do what we bought will be used well after Yom tov too. We spent $50 or so in the kosher store and another $75 in aldi (but again that includes cereals and school snacks and lots of stuff that has nothing to do with rosh hahana$

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 5:53 pm
I spent around $800 for food in the last two weeks alot of that was for yomtov but also for 2 shabbasos and yom kippur.
Amother because I'm embarrassed seeing all the other poster

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 5:55 pm
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
I spent around $800 for food in the last two weeks alot of that was for yomtov but also for 2 shabbasos and yom kippur.
Amother because I'm embarrassed seeing all the other poster

Don't be. We don't know how many people you're cooking for, how much you decide to splurge l'kavod yom tov, what the normal prices are in the best places for you to shop and many many variables that are none of our business. Also, like many of us, some of this food will end up either being repurposed or deliberately frozen, etc.for Succos.

Also, are you including paper goods?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 6:08 pm
I spent about $600-$800 (still not done yet) but didn’t buy it all at once. This is for food and some paper goods and lots of the items I made , I made to last me through Succos. I usually spend more on food in Chodesh Tishrei than I do Pesach. People always make it sound like Pesach is the biggest expense of the year , but for me Chodesh Tishrei is.
I’m going to be having 10 adults most meals.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 7:34 pm
I don’t know what I spent on r”h because I also cooked main dishes for every Shabbos this month, as well as most of sukkos. I bought some things on sale, I did find some good deals on chicken and meat despite there being very high prices of late. BH

estreya

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 8:56 pm
I'm afraid to even add it all up. The meat order alone was $450 Surprised (that's in Cdn dollars however); that doesn't include stuff I had frozen from previous shopping (chicken etc). Anyway, I'm sure it is like $600 - $700. A lot of the meat dishes got cooked and portioned out and frozen to last us through the end of chagim. We only do big meat orders R"H and Pesach so I guess it balances out over the year.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur