Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
YK fast 1st Trimester, Rabbi says ask your Dr., Dr says.....
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sipping water is Assur unless you get a heter from a Posek?

100% yes.

simcha2

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:13 am
I was always told to do liquid shiurim (some pregnancies as a "must", and some as a "even if you feel slightly dehydrated"), but I was never in my first trimester on yom Kippur.

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:13 am
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:

I dont get why people make such a big deal about fasting
OP its one day youll be fine and so will the baby iyh

You wont easily get a heter to not fast on YK. JUst stay in bed all day and relax. I dont think I davened last YK. Said brachos and thats it. The ikar is to fast. Enjoy the quiet bc next year youll have a delicious baby to play with while youre fasting!! iyh iyh

This comment is hurtful to those of us who are not allowed to fast due to a complicated pregnancy.
I have HG with severe dehydration and extremely low blood pressure, and am absolutely not allowed to fast even if I would beg that I want to.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:14 am
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
I dont get why people make such a big deal about fasting
OP its one day youll be fine and so will the baby iyh

You wont easily get a heter to not fast on YK. JUst stay in bed all day and relax. I dont think I davened last YK. Said brachos and thats it. The ikar is to fast. Enjoy the quiet bc next year youll have a delicious baby to play with while youre fasting!! iyh iyh

For many people, fasting IS a big deal. I don’t fast because I get sick. I’m terrified to fast when I’m pregnant or nursing, even WITH drinking and eating shiurim every 9 minutes.
Some people have anxiety, and they worry about things. It’s ok for someone to be worried, you don’t need to belittle the fear.

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:19 am
I would call the rabbi back and tell him what the doctor said and ask him for clear instructions.
Normally there is a doctor that will work with a rabbi and take questions together.
Sipping is absolutely a problem on Yk, where one gets a heter to have shiurim it’s with specific amounts and timing.
Personally, high risk pregnancy, early contractions and always having miscarried when fasting yk I was told to stay in bed and relax. I was given specific instructions as to when I could take shiurim.
This is really something you need to be clear on.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:37 am
Some people can’t stay in bed all day 🙄
I have a SN child and while I will have help for some of the day , most of the hours will still fall on me. I’m in middle of my second trimester. I’m going to ask a rav but fasting is a big deal!!!

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:39 am
amother [ Birch ] wrote:
This comment is hurtful to those of us who are not allowed to fast due to a complicated pregnancy.
I have HG with severe dehydration and extremely low blood pressure, and am absolutely not allowed to fast even if I would beg that I want to.

She wasn't talking to people that are not allowed to fast. She's talking to people that are afraid to fast. There is nothing wrong with fasting during a normal pregnancy. Mother and baby will iyh be fine.

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 9:46 am
When I was in my 7th month , doctor who is high risk doctor does not like when woman fast, we asked a rav and he said if there’s no specific reason not to then I should fast and if I don’t feel well use shiurim. Well around 5/6pm I started feeling contractions, not strong but the ones where your stomach gets hard and then relaxes and it was like every 15’min, so I stated doing the shiurim. Bh I did. After yo. Kippur I called my doctor and told him what happened he was very upset that I fasted against what he said and said I could’ve caused myself to go into preterm labor... so what I’m saying is get a clear answer deal
Doctor and then speak to a rav. Know what to do and ask if you’re not sure what to do. Hatzlacha. It should be an easy and smooth pregnancy . Bsha Tova gmar tov

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 10:03 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
She wasn't talking to people that are not allowed to fast. She's talking to people that are afraid to fast. There is nothing wrong with fasting during a normal pregnancy. Mother and baby will iyh be fine.

Belittling those who are worried is still not nice.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 10:19 am
A normal healthy pregnancy typically one needs to fast.
If fasting will cause someone significant vomitting , which it does cause many women in the 1st trimester, or if someone is vomitting regularly regardless of eating status, and is at high risk of dehydration that is different and many with this issue get a heter for shiurim.

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 2:28 pm
You need very clear instructions ahead of time based on your specific situation.
If you are told you must fast, your husband must stay home if need be and you stay in bed.
Also I believe according to Halacha the seventh and ninth month are considered more dangerous, I never quite understood that…
I had to drink shiurim lechatchila one Yom Kippur and was really surprised and relieved at the psak.
I was pregnant and nursing (beginning to wean) and given that psak by a well known gadol.
It was annoying to follow through all day with specific tiny amounts of water but was a tremendous help. I felt so good knowing I was doing exactly what I was told for the sake of health and not just guessing what to do.
Also, in Israel the hot season is a big factor in the psak. Even if you were to stay hydrated ahead of the fast and stay indoors.

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 2:32 pm
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
I have a SN child and while I will have help for some of the day , most of the hours will still fall on me. I’m in middle of my second trimester. I’m going to ask a rav but fasting is a big deal!!!

If you have a husband, he should stay home with the child. Your requirement to fast outweighs his requirement to daven with a minyan.

imaima

Post Mon, Sep 13 2021, 3:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Whats the general Psak as far as fasting on Yom Kippur, for a mid 30s pregnant women, in her 1st pregnancy?

Rabbi says ask Dr, Dr says see how you feel.

Whats the general Psak?

Do you have to feel sick to break your fast in the above situation, or do many Poskim/Drs say take sips to prevent issues?

There is no general psak.

Generally you are allowed shiurim and if you feel bad, normal eating/drinking.

But my rav wants everyone to ask a personal psak.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 10:33 am
amother [ Strawberry ] wrote:
If you have a husband, he should stay home with the child. Your requirement to fast outweighs his requirement to daven with a minyan.

I know that’s what it says, that a man should stay home and miss davening so his wife can fast, but that’s not always ideal. Many husbands aren’t used to taking care of the kids app day, and will be constantly asking for help or asking questions. Being home woth the kids might make it harder for the husband to fast. He has the same requirement to fast that you do.

sky

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:00 am
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:

Better a husband stays home from shul all day then his wife breaks her fast.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:07 am
sky wrote:
Better a husband stays home from shul all day then his wife breaks her fast.

Read my comment above yours, in response to this.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sipping water is Assur unless you get a heter from a Posek?

If you're talking about advance planning, then yes, you should consult with a rav before planning on doing shiurim.

But if you are home alone and begin experiencing something unexpected then you don't need to just sit there and let whatever is happening keep happening because no rabbi is present. Just as on Shabbos, you can always seek medical assistance in an emergency situation or avail yourself of emergency measures, which may include hydration. I recommend having a conversation with a doctor in advance to identify medically what sort of symptoms would signify danger to you or the baby. And also with a rav to plan for the least-problematic ways to seek medical advice and assistance. I would expect a rav to tell you that if you are on the spot and unsure whether it's an emergency, to err on the side of caution medically.

sky

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:22 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Read my comment above yours, in response to this.

I think if it’s a matter of a wife fasting or not a husband has to take responsibility and figure it out. Buy toys, treats, prepare food in advance. Write down detailed instructions. Not to be mean - but it’s pretty bad if a husband can’t manage one day caring for his children.

If both spouses must spend the day in bed or not fast then obviously a diff plan has to be made.

Last edited by sky on Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:24 am
sky wrote:
I think if it’s a matter of a wife fasting or not a husband has to take responsibility and figure it out.

If both spouses must spend the day in bed or not fast then obviously a diff plan has to be made.

If the husband being home will make it harder for HIM to fast, how is that an answer?

sky

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 11:25 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
If the husband being home will make it harder for HIM to fast, how is that an answer?

I’m not sure how staying home is harder then being in shul?
Don’t men typically work and run their normal life when fasting.
I guess I don’t get the idea of a husband being completely incapable of looking after his children.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur