Home

I’m tired of my food and I think my family is too

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:00 pm
I’ve been cooking for yomtov for 16 years. I keep making the same thing because my family is picky and this is what some/most of them eat but I’m getting really tired of eating these foods.
It’s not that I can’t think of other foods but when I try new recipes almost no one eats it. What can I change?


Chicken soup
Split pea soup
Corn beef - I tried a new recipe this year (Rosh hashana)even though everyone likes my recipe and the new recipe was so bland
Roast - with rubbed spices
Started making oyster steak sometimes and my older kids like it
Chicken on bone - pretty much only dh eats and if we have guests
Schnitzel
Chicken cutlets in a sweet and sour sauce
Carrot muffins
Lukshen kugel
Potato kugel
Franks’n blanks
Deli rolls
Hot poppers
Cucumber salad
Coleslaw
Nish nosh salad
Steamed broccoli - sometimes I make broccoli kugel
Snap peas
Corn salad
Pasta salad - almost no one eats it anymore- I serve it for shalosh seudos
Back to top

amother




Pumpkin
 

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 4:03 pm
Not sure what your family likes but what about changing up soups and different types of sauces for chicken, different types of schnitzel (for example if you usually make regular breadcrumbs try a pretzel or cornflake coating)
Back to top

SuperWify




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:14 pm
Meat boards
Lamb chops
Veal roast
Chicken roast
Asparagus Spears
Sweet and spicy string beans
Hassle back potatoes
Roasted mini red potatoes
Popcorn cauliflower
Meatballs and peas
Tuna steak
Lemon Sea bass
Rack of lamb
Rice and chicken
Chicken lo main
Chicken Marsala
Back to top

chocolate moose




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:23 pm
wow that sounds great!!
Back to top

amother




Peach
 

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:30 pm
Yummm....all sounds so good!
What about putting meat in the pea soup. I boil flanken or deckel and shred in the soup. My mom used to put hot dogs in pea soup. My family is also very picky....I ask each kid to pick something special they want and I try to make it.
Also everyone always loves noodles and matzo balls for chicken soup.
How about stuffed or unstuffed cabbage? Farfel?
The shabbos between yuntif meals I make more simple and then my kids are more excited for the food.
We also started doing dairy lunches. Butternut squash soup, salmon, fettuccine alfredo, Greek salad.
Honestly op your food sounds so good I want to come over!
Back to top

amother




Jetblack
 

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:40 pm
Ugh I hear you on the pickiness and limited menu options. It's tough when there's no overlap with shabbos, so you need menus for that too. To change it up we do non-traditional menus, like Chinese food, fancy pizzas (leave oven on), taco meal, etc. If you're okay with going in a different direction it can be a lot of fun!
Back to top

gumby




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 7:59 pm
Try making some new ideas. Meat pizzas, shredded beef with bbq sauce (can be in a mini taco as an app or on a salad or for main course , or on top of potato latkes) , different soups etc.
Back to top

Simple1




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:08 pm
I feel like that sometimes. Do you have cookbooks? Can you buy a new one? Would your family be interested on flipping through the books and choosing some things you all like?
Back to top

amother




Pearl
 

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:09 pm
I cook similar stuff to what you posted...
I also make cranberry kugel
Chicken in mushroom sauce
I start each meal with a salad and cut up veggies with chummus during the day meals. I serve a bunch of dips with challa.
Night meals: soup
Mushroom barley/chicken soup/zuchini/ split peas....
Back to top

amother




Bergamot
 

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:41 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Meat boards
Lamb chops
Veal roast
Chicken roast
Asparagus Spears
Sweet and spicy string beans
Hassle back potatoes
Roasted mini red potatoes
Popcorn cauliflower
Meatballs and peas
Tuna steak
Lemon Sea bass
Rack of lamb
Rice and chicken
Chicken lo main
Chicken Marsala

Wow! Can I come.
My menu looks a lot like OPs. Yours is a whole different price point.
(Not all of it, but the parts I want-Meat board, Lamb chops, and a rack of lamb, Veal roast, Tuna steak and sea bass)
Enjoy your beautiful YT!
Back to top

jfk92




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 8:59 pm
Corn soup
Stuffed capons
Minute steak and potatoes
Pulled beef (leftovers great for meat pizza)
Spinach and meat lasagna
Fill your own taco/burrito
Sheet pan roasted vegetables (my family prefers that to kugel)
Asian slaw salad
Israeli theme meal: israeli salad, falafel/falafel burgers, cigars, spiced baby chicken/shwarma and pickeled sides
Another vote for dairy or fish meals. Penne ala vodka, is a crowd favorite here. As is salmon teriyaki, as are ricotta pancakes and mozzarela tomatoe pesto salad.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 9:07 pm
Thank you for the ideas. Some of the suggestions sound so good and I know I would really enjoy but unfortunately my family won’t.
They don’t eat any fish. DH will only eat gefilte fish so I make only gefilte for just us.
No one likes ground beef (aside for me).
They won’t eat peas.
Farfel- no big fans. Just made for Rosh hashana and had to throw some out.
Only DH eats chicken and rice. I make it for him around 1x a week.
I make cranberry apple crisp/kugel? for guests but my family has no interest (it’s really good).
The meat pizza sounds like a good idea with shredded beef and bbq sauce. At least 3 of my kids would probably like that. How do I make it? Store bought pizza dough? How long to bake?
The sweet and spicy beans sounds like a good idea. What’s the recipe?
I bought mini potatoes yesterday. I don’t think my family cares much for potatoes but I’ll try.
I started buying beef jerky. Maybe I should learn to make my own because it’s expensive and my boys really like it.
Keep the ideas coming. I really appreciate it. Even if I get 2 more options to serve it will be so helpful.
Back to top

amother




Garnet
 

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 10:20 pm
A few months ago it hit me that my husband and I are getting bored of the routine menus.. (5 years no kids) so it’s easier to play around with trying out new stuff.

I got a few cookbooks and I try a new recipe about every 2 weeks. if we both like it I’ll add it to menu. It spices life up a bit.
Back to top

sbs




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Sep 14 2021, 10:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for the ideas. Some of the suggestions sound so good and I know I would really enjoy but unfortunately my family won’t.
They don’t eat any fish. DH will only eat gefilte fish so I make only gefilte for just us.
No one likes ground beef (aside for me).
They won’t eat peas.
Farfel- no big fans. Just made for Rosh hashana and had to throw some out.
Only DH eats chicken and rice. I make it for him around 1x a week.
I make cranberry apple crisp/kugel? for guests but my family has no interest (it’s really good).
The meat pizza sounds like a good idea with shredded beef and bbq sauce. At least 3 of my kids would probably like that. How do I make it? Store bought pizza dough? How long to bake?
The sweet and spicy beans sounds like a good idea. What’s the recipe?
I bought mini potatoes yesterday. I don’t think my family cares much for potatoes but I’ll try.
I started buying beef jerky. Maybe I should learn to make my own because it’s expensive and my boys really like it.
Keep the ideas coming. I really appreciate it. Even if I get 2 more options to serve it will be so helpful.


for meat pizza I use the store bough rectangle flat breads,(not frozen)
I usually put on some kind of sauce under the meat, sometimes garlic mayo, truffle mayo, sweet chili, then the meat and then I drizzle on top more sauces
for meat you can use pulled beef, or sauteed pastrami and onions
after it's put together I bake it for about 10 min to get the dough a little crispy and blend all the flavors together

for the mini potatoes you can boil them whole and then reheat them with an olive oil/herb dressing, you can make smashed potatoes, boil them, smash a little with the palm of your hand, put on an oil/herb dressing (I like to use the oil from roasted garlic, with salt, umami spice, parsley flakes) and then bake so they get a little crispy

I've made shnitzel with breading in crushed frosted flakes, it's really good

similar to franks n blanks and deli roll are deli rugelach, individual made with malawach dough, or wontons, eggrolls with deli, chicken, or meat inside

broccoli can be roasted to get a little crispy and there are lots of different recipes you can use for snap peas

is nish nosh salad the only one they'll eat? can you change up some veggies and the topping?
add grilled veggies, leftover meat or chicken...
Back to top

SuperWify




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 15 2021, 1:47 am
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
Wow! Can I come.
My menu looks a lot like OPs. Yours is a whole different price point.
(Not all of it, but the parts I want-Meat board, Lamb chops, and a rack of lamb, Veal roast, Tuna steak and sea bass)
Enjoy your beautiful YT!


This is not my menu. (I wish.) But I do find it cheaper sometimes to buy 6 lamb chops then a whole roast. Meat boards can be put together with extra roast or meat from smith meal, cheap Franks, salami, cold cuts ect. I make one every Shabbos and it’s not expensive at all.
Veal roast we make special for YT.
Sea bass and tuna are slightly more expensive then salmon.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos

Related Topics Replies Last Post
How much did you spend for sukkos food?
by amother
8 Today at 7:16 pm View last post
Cheap entertainer for family gathering
by amother
1 Today at 2:45 pm View last post
Erev yom tov food for the family 15 Today at 10:20 am View last post
Last Letter Food Game 2066 Today at 8:32 am View last post
by SYA
Why do people think
by amother
41 Fri, Sep 17 2021, 5:33 pm View last post