Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Diff b/t pastrami, corn beef: top of rib, brisket, navel etc

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 3:43 pm
Wha's the difference between all the different types of pastrami and corned beef: top of rib, navel, French roast, brisket. Last time I bought deckle and it was very good but they didn't have it this time.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 4:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wha's the difference between all the different types of pastrami and corned beef: top of rib, navel, French roast, brisket. Last time I bought deckle and it was very good but they didn't have it this time.

French roast, brisket and deckle are all very forgiving cuts of meat (similar/close parts of the cow) and can be all made the same way.

Top of the rib is also similar, but very thin roast so you get very flat slices - best to use for shredded beef (they fold it over in the package so it doesn't look so flat, but it really is once you open it).

Navel is very fatty and hardly any meat - best used in cholent.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 4:25 pm
if you see corned beef with the pickling spices, that's just a roast. you can boil it in water then serve it many ways.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 4:51 pm
What's the difference between pastrami and corned beef is it the spices? Can I cook it in water the same way as I do with corned beef?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 19 2021, 6:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What's the difference between pastrami and corned beef is it the spices? Can I cook it in water the same way as I do with corned beef?

Pastrami had a black pepper crust, darker interior. It needs to steam so you bake it at 300 in a deep 9x13 for 4 hours, with just 1/3 of an inch of water.

Corned beef needs to boil so you almost cover it in water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics