Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
When do you stop burping your baby?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:40 pm
when do babies stop needing to be burped?
my baby can not go to sleep without being burped. shes 7 months kah.

my friend was shocked I still burp her. she told me she should be able to do it on her own. she stopped burping her baby at 3 months.

I felt kind of stupid after that. but my baby literally needs the help to burp bc they get stuck

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:45 pm
When you can put them in a sit and they'll stay there by themselves for a bit, I think.

Honestly, I'm still burping my 7mo too. I hold him in a sit on my lap. It feels like part of the nursing experience! I think I stopped by this point with my first baby. Who can remember? We as parents know our babies and we do what feels right.

Last edited by BrisketBoss on Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burgundy

Around 5 to 6 months.

mommy3b2c

Your friend should mind her own business. If your baby needs burping then please burp your baby. He’s your baby and your his mother . You know what he needs. Not your friend.

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:47 pm
Every baby is different, whenever I felt they didn't need it anymore. If they are going to wake up because you didn't burp them it's not worth not burping them.

gr82no

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:47 pm
I stop 3-4 months. Occasionally I need to help a bit. My baby is able to be in a sitting position with no support at 4 months so maybe that affects the burping

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:48 pm
my baby sits up fine bh.
but she still needs gentle pats on the back to dislodge them.

I guess I was jsut curious what other mommys do

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:50 pm
I had one baby that needed it till 9 months old. Otherwise she couldn't sleep. And she was sitting up long before then. But she needed the extra help.

You do what your baby needs. Don't worry about what your friend says.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 10:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
my baby sits up fine bh.
but she still needs gentle pats on the back to dislodge them.

I guess I was jsut curious what other mommys do

Whatever works for their baby.
Average is around 5 months.

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 11:15 pm
I’m posting anonymously since I’m actually embarrassed at what I’m saying.
I never burped by baby. I grew up with babies, knew babies well, babysat etc. then I got married and moved to Israel, had my first baby without any help… and just forgot about the whole burping aspect. Bh feeding went smoothly, I just never burped my baby.
When he was 3 months old, I went home for a simcha and I saw someone burping their baby and I was like ummm I never burped my baby! But he was totally fine. Never spit up, gained weight and didn’t cry!
My next baby was the same way. Never needed help from me to burp.
My third baby needed help burping till he was around 10 months. He made up for my first two.
So not only did I realize it depends on the parent… it also depends on the baby.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Sep 22 2021, 11:20 pm
amother [ Lightgray ] wrote:
I’m posting anonymously since I’m actually embarrassed at what I’m saying.
I never burped by baby. I grew up with babies, knew babies well, babysat etc. then I got married and moved to Israel, had my first baby without any help… and just forgot about the whole burping aspect. Bh feeding went smoothly, I just never burped my baby.
When he was 3 months old, I went home for a simcha and I saw someone burping their baby and I was like ummm I never burped my baby! But he was totally fine. Never spit up, gained weight and didn’t cry!
My next baby was the same way. Never needed help from me to burp.
My third baby needed help burping till he was around 10 months. He made up for my first two.
So not only did I realize it depends on the parent… it also depends on the baby.

I didn't do it much either. I think it was because they swallowed less air from nursing than from bottle feeding. Sometimes they burped from a change in position though. I remember trying all these crazy maneuvers I saw online for my first baby until I read that breastfed babies don't need to burp as often as bottle-fed babies. But yeah, every baby is different. And once they can sit up, they can usually manage on their own.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics