Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 23 2021, 11:59 am
This was a fun version of a classic cookie and a bit easier than making individual cookies - downside is that it is best served to a larger gathering since leftovers aren't as good as individual cookies. And of course, with drop cookies, I will often just freeze the balls and then bake however many I need at the time.

Per the notes, you can make the dough ahead or time - or even freeze it and then it would be ridiculously easy to just put it into the skillet; bake and have a delicious dessert.

Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie

Excerpt From: Jennifer Segal - Once Upon a Chef - Weekend/Weeknights

Making chocolate chip cookie dough is easy—I believe I started whipping up my own (mostly to eat raw) with my girlfriends in the fifth grade. Cooking the dough in a skillet is not only way more fun than making individual cookies, but it’s also faster because you don’t have to roll the dough into balls. You can slice this skillet cookie into wedges, but if it’s just family, plunk a few scoops of vanilla or coffee ice cream in the center, place the skillet on the table, hand out spoons, and let everyone dig in. It will be gooey, like a fresh-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookie. If you’d like it firmer, you’ll need to let it cool a bit longer, about 45 minutes—if you can wait that long!

Serves 8 to 10

¾ cup (1½ sticks/6 ounces/170g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
⅔ cup (155 g) packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1½ cups (173 g) all-purpose flour
Scant 1 cup (170 g) semisweet chocolate chips
Vanilla or coffee ice cream, for serving

MAKE-AHEAD/FREEZER-FRIENDLY INSTRUCTIONS
The dough can be refrigerated, wrapped tightly in plastic, for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and set a rack in the middle position.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or beaters, beat the butter and both sugars for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as necessary. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk, and then beat for 2 minutes more. Scrape down the bowl. Add the salt, baking powder, and baking soda and beat briefly to combine. Add the flour and mix to combine. Reserve a few tablespoons of the chocolate chips and add the rest to the batter. Mix on low speed until the chocolate is evenly distributed throughout the dough.

3. Using a spatula, spread the dough evenly in an ungreased 10-inch (25 cm) cast-iron skillet (see Pro Tip). Sprinkle the reserved chocolate chips over the top. Bake for 33 to 37 minutes, until puffed and golden. Immediately place an oven mitt over the handle of the skillet to remind yourself that it is hot (it’s easy to forget, and it stays hot long after the cookie has cooled). Let cool in the skillet on a rack for 15 to 30 minutes, depending on how gooey you’d like it.

4. Slice the cookie into wedges and serve with ice cream. Cover any leftovers with aluminum foil and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.

PRO TIP
If you don’t have a 10-inch (25 cm) cast-iron skillet, an oven-safe nonstick skillet will work, too, but be careful not to scratch the surface when slicing. You could also use a stainless-steel pan lined with parchment paper or a 2-quart (2 L) baking dish. (With any of these options, start checking for doneness around 27 minutes, as the cookie will bake a bit faster.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins