Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Kosher grocery charging outrageous prices during yom tov
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 9:40 am
For the life if me, what is going on here in Brooklyn NY . The kosher grocery stores, who raked in 100s and thousands of dollars during covid, who couldnt keep their shelves stocked, are raising their prices by the day. Eggs, produce, chicken, meat.. its absolutely outrageous. Everyone is entitled to make a parnassah, but at some point, you have to stop and ask yourself what exactly they are doing. There are approximately 22 meals from Rosh Hashanah through Shabbas Berishis. People need to eat. Alot. And while BH, I can affird it, im sure that there are people who can not.

Its not ok to do this. Of course, they can, but its so not mentchlichkeit. At what point do you say its enough? Just stop? Ive seen produce go up every single day. Why is a bag of 5lb potatoes 4 dollars? Normally, its 2 and change. Eggs for 2 dollars? 4 weeks ago it was 99 cents. And every product in the store...lets see how much we can get away with...because guess what, they will.

Rant over. Somehow, 2 weeks from now, the prices will magically go down...

amother
Cinnamon

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 9:41 am
All prices have gone up 20% over the past few months. Even after YT you'll be surprised how little they drop.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 9:45 am
Some parts of Brooklyn have more Jewish than non Jewish stores but there usually are some non Jewish stores that probably sell eggs and produce cheaper than what frum stores are charging.
My kids subscribe to Shipt and can get same day service for groceries from Target 🎯

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 9:50 am
There was a huge article in Mishpacha recently. Shipping costs and food costs have gone up. Many things have had to raise prices, not just resteraunts and groceries.

simcha2

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 9:53 am
This is across the board, not just kosher places.

Covid seriously interrupted supply lines and shipping costs (national and international) have gone up astronomically. Combine that with increased labor costs and feeling the tariffs.

Bigger places are able to absorb some of the losses, but kosher stores are not walmart or shop rite.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 10:26 am
This is across the board I went to get some meat last night in the midwest and prices are at least 2-3 dollars per pound more then last year. I dont believe anyone is price gauging or acting in a malicious manner food just got more expensive.

amother
Dahlia

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 10:45 am
Are you kidding? This is our new reality since Biden is giving free money to people in the forms of stimulus and free rent.
Every smart person knew this will be a result.
But people were so blinded with the check in their hands that they forgot to think about tomorrow.
Prices will NOT go down after Yom Tov. It’s here to stay until a capable person is in charge of our economy again.

tp3

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 10:56 am
When people receive mass free money, prices will automatically go up. Money is worth less, things will cost more. I try not to let it bother me.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 10:58 am
We are paying for all the free money that's being given out. You can thank Biden for the huge rise in prices of pretty much everything.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 11:27 am
Stockings went up... The pair I usually buy went up 25%! From $4 to 5. So I went to another store... Until 2 wks later I went again and they also raised it, as did a 3rd store
So it is obviously not them but the company

amother
Ballota

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 11:47 am
I was waiting for this thread. Prices are really of the wall. You have to be naive to believe that its's only Biden's stimulus money and not because suppliers see an opportunity to take advantage. The multiple food boxes over the summmer really took a bite out of the local shops big and small so they are trying to make up for it. One thing I can definitely say the prices at the usual large kosher discount places are approaching or if not the same as the local smaller kosher market so the blue bag store and their sister red bag store are going to have to make some choices cuz there is a weaker justification to drive out to those "chicken markets".

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 11:58 am
We got food boxes in Chicago and while I spent less at the regular store I still spent quite a bit of money each week and so did most people I know. It was a nice supplement but was not a replacement for my weekly shopping at all.

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 12:03 pm
Prices of almost everything have escalated because of the cost of shipping and materials.

When you buy food you are also paying for the costs of growing the food and shipping the food. That includes materials that are used to package the food as well as all of the labor costs. Utilities cost more - water costs more.

Smaller companies in general (not just frum) generally don't have economy of scale so their prices are always going to be higher than a larger company or store. Often a supermarket (for example) will have "loss leaders" so an item like eggs will be sold at an artificially low price in order to bring people into the store who will pay higher profit items.

Everything in the economy is based on world wide economics. The cost of shipping a container in a ship has gone from about $3000 to about $25,000 - that is what my friend said because she was buying some silk flowers from her usual wholesale source. So all of those costs are reflected in the cost of the flowers.

It is an absurdly naive to blame inflation on typical right wing scapegoat targets

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 12:06 pm
Amarante wrote:
Prices of almost everything have escalated because of the cost of shipping and materials.

When you buy food you are also paying for the costs of growing the food and shipping the food. That includes materials that are used to package the food as well as all of the labor costs. Utilities cost more - water costs more.

Smaller companies in general (not just frum) generally don't have economy of scale so their prices are always going to be higher than a larger company or store. Often a supermarket (for example) will have "loss leaders" so an item like eggs will be sold at an artificially low price in order to bring people into the store who will pay higher profit items.

Everything in the economy is based on world wide economics. The cost of shipping a container in a ship has gone from about $3000 to about $25,000 - that is what my friend said because she was buying some silk flowers from her usual wholesale source. So all of those costs are reflected in the cost of the flowers.

It is an absurdly naive to blame inflation on typical right wing scapegoat targets

This is 100% because of Biden's change of policies (in this particular case, towards China). I'm sorry, but only a fool can't see correlation here.

It's pretty basic economics that when you print more money each dollar becomes worth less. It's not rocket science at all, and anyone who knows anything about economics saw this coming.

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 12:10 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
This is 100% because of Biden's change of policies (in this particular case, towards China). I'm sorry, but only a fool can't see correlation here.

It's pretty basic economics that when you print more money each dollar becomes worth less. It's not rocket science at all, and anyone who knows anything about economics saw this coming.

Please explain exactly what change in policy caused an increase in prices?

Current inflation is not based on printed money but is driven by many other factors.

It is this simplistic view of the world that manifests itself in so many ways.

ssspectacular

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 12:24 pm
Labor costs have risen and this is passed on to the consumers.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 12:29 pm
Because of new trucking laws, trucking from point A to B became prohibitively expensive.

Also shipping from asia- 1.5 years ago a container cost $5,000 to ship to the U.S. Today, the same container costs $23,000

And so on

amother
Stone

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 12:41 pm
My son worked before succos in a busy housewares store. They were selling among other things beds and mattress for the succa . He told me that the same bed went up from last year from 250 to 320 and the manager said he's not making money on it because the shipping costs are sky high

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 12:55 pm
Why would you buy potatoes or eggs from a kosher shop? It’s always going to be more expensive..
That being said, prices across the board have went up, not just kosher

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, Sep 24 2021, 1:21 pm
I purchased the majority of my produce and grocery items that were not "Jewish" brand specific (and obviously not chicken or meat) from Walmart last week. Eggs were under $1 a dozen (I'm not in NY though).
I do want to add that if you can afford to do so it is great to support the local kosher groceries as much as you can.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics