Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Can someone explain this to me?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

imaima

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wasn’t meaning it like that. In my experience, people who wear something for hours on end cannot usually wear it again for hours on end unless they naturally don’t really sweat.
If my kids sweat/smell I would consider it unhygienic.

Serious question - how do people wear clothes from 9am until 10 pm and then wear it again? Smell wise.

If you hang it up after a meal and change into a robe, then it works I guess.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:14 am
I don’t wash clothing every single time I wear it
It’s not good for the clothing. Wears out faster. Expensive.
If my kids wear something first days and then last days it airs out in between.
Plus they are wearing a mix of summer and winter clothing now.

If your dh wears a wool suit does he wash the suit pants every week?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:15 am
Iymnok wrote:
They plan ahead. They are super careful. For the night seudas they wear a robe. It may be last year’s and a little small. My 13yo has 3 dresses. She has two that are still wearable now.

So you’re saying people might wear things that are a bit small etc.
I hear.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:17 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I don’t wash clothing every single time I wear it
It’s not good for the clothing. Wears out faster. Expensive.
If my kids wear something first days and then last days it airs out in between.
Plus they are wearing a mix of summer and winter clothing now.

If your dh wears a wool suit does he wash the suit pants every week?

I hear about the mix of seasons.
In terms of suits- I find skirts/pants are different than shirts. Shirts smell easily from sweat. Pants and skirts don’t get that much sweat comparatively.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:24 am
In addition to the above (using everything they own, even if it's a bit out of season or getting small), I calculate what they should wear which day (weather forecast? whom are we visiting? Is it a shul day? How rowdy or "spilly" is the meal likely to be - crowded sukkah, or comfortable seating?), and keep the worn-but-wearable clothes separate from the unworn clean clothes, in case I need to reuse it later during yomtov.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:27 am
2 summer Outfits
2 winter outfits
Winter robe
Summer robe
Rotate between these all and your good.
I have a “robe” for my boys as well. Basically an easy outfit. Like a turtleneck and plaid pants.
I don’t have teenage kids yet but my teenage in laws rewear dresses and change the shell. Nothing gross about it.
They also sometimes throw their clothes in to the machine when washing for the younger kids.

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 2:53 am
My older boys also wear white shirts on Chol Hamoed but I buy some cheap shirts

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:04 am
I honestly don't think most people wash their Shabbos dresses each time they wear it. I mean, many are dry clean only, do you send to the cleaners every single week?

Wear shells underneath even if it's long sleeves and high neckline, and then no need to worry about it getting smelly.

4g01o

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:11 am
amother [ Mayflower ] wrote:
My older boys also wear white shirts on Chol Hamoed but I buy some cheap shirts

Mine don't but if they would then they'd just wear their regular school/weekday, cheap white shirts.

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:14 am
I wear a shell or tshirt under all my outfits. Many of them are a thin gauzy material so they need it, or the neckline is just a bit too low, or a v-neck. But it means also my dresses don't get sweaty so can definitely be reworn. My daughter also does.

The other thing that happens as kids get older is that they grow less slowly. So last years yom tov outfit might still fit. My dd is 13, she for sure has more than 5 shabbos outfits. We buy a lot of inexpensive stuff from shein etc plus she has clothing her cousins have given her. We don't do robes in our house, we have guests pretty much every meal.

I used to wash my dresses each time I wore them but I am realising now how wasteful that is, so I check and rehang if clean and smelling fresh. None are dry clean only.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 4:38 am
I get you op. I also hate rewearing things.

I dont think 5 outfits is a crazy number.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 5:40 am
youngishbear wrote:
Boys who wear white shirts need at least 5 over such a yomtov, so I have some of the less-than-stark-white left over from the previous season and buy a few new ones for yomtov. Repeat for Pesach season.

And more if you want them to wear white shirts chol hamoed. You can't imagine how many shirts I was able to dig up BH.

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 5:41 am
My kids have many more than 5 shabbos outfits, Bh. The difference is, they’re not $100 outfits (or $200 outfits, or whatever) We happen to not care for frum styles so they’re H&M or Gap or whatever and cost closer to $30 an outfit. They’re also all washable. I’d never buy a young child clothing that’s not washable.

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 6:21 am
If you're wearing a shell under the dress, the dress is not touching skin and doesn't become sweaty and 'gross'. You can wear it more than once.
My little girls need enough dresses as they invariably get something on their dress whenever they wear it, but the older ones usually keep their dresses clean. Once they're around 14/15 they usually aren't growing so fast and the clothes will last a little longer.

ddmom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 6:21 am
Sukkos season you can get away with wearing both summer and winter outfits usually. Plus robes.(same for pessach!) They have more than 5 outfits. I did tell them to rehang stuff that was not dirty or stained in case they need it. It's true you don't usually want to wear something you wore all day but once it was hung for a few days if you wear deodorant, it doesn't smell bad!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 7:23 am
We use both seasons'. My boys combine old and new shirts. It's not such a big deal when you think of it like that. I don't even get much new clothing for my kids every YT, just fill in the gaps.
Keep in mind there are years it's 6...2 3 day YTs 😉

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 7:36 am
dankbar wrote:
Pesach & sukkos are in between weather, so you you can use your summer, fall & winter clothes.

Succos here is usually cold, not in between. This is the first year in a while where it’s been really beautiful.
I have little kids and big kids. My husband grew up that his mother didn’t wash. I grew up that my mother (or maybe the cleaning lady) did. I will wash what is needed and nothing more, for me and for my big kids. I don’t wash anything for my husband. I don’t know how people who don’t wash anything do it. Especially if the kids don’t have things from previous seasons that fit. My kids are still growing, so their pesach stuff doesn’t really fit anymore.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 7:41 am
imaima wrote:
Because they are their own person?

If not earlier then now is the time to realize that you cannot impose your perceptions on your kids.
If it is still clean and not smelly, it is probably not gross.

My teenaged daughter, of her own accord, won’t wear something twice without washing it in between. She thinks it’s gross. Nothing to do with imposing my perceptions.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 7:43 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Succos here is usually cold, not in between. This is the first year in a while where it’s been really beautiful.
I have little kids and big kids. My husband grew up that his mother didn’t wash. I grew up that my mother (or maybe the cleaning lady) did. I will wash what is needed and nothing more, for me and for my big kids. I don’t wash anything for my husband. I don’t know how people who don’t wash anything do it. Especially if the kids don’t have things from previous seasons that fit. My kids are still growing, so their pesach stuff doesn’t really fit anymore.

I used to tell my cleaning lady not to wash and give her only a few specific things to wash. Now I just don’t tell her anything and she does what she wants. The stress used to get to me and make me so anxious. I just don’t believe that’s what Hashem wants from us.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 27 2021, 7:44 am
amother [ Fern ] wrote:
I honestly don't think most people wash their Shabbos dresses each time they wear it. I mean, many are dry clean only, do you send to the cleaners every single week?

Wear shells underneath even if it's long sleeves and high neckline, and then no need to worry about it getting smelly.

I don’t wear dry clean only, and I don’t generally buy it for my kids. Of course I was everything after each time it’s worn, my stuff and theirs.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics