Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
I’m a genius AMA
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:45 pm
A boat sails from Point A to Point B and returns to Point A at a steady speed. As the direction of the current is toward Point B, the boat is able to complete the journey in that direction in 3 hours.
The return trip from Point B to Point A takes a total of 4 hours, because the boat is traveling against the current. If the owner of the boat would turn off the motor, how long would it take the boat to sail from point A to Point B?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:45 pm
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
What’s your IQ

Idk

amother
Dahlia

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Idk

So how do you know you’re a genius?
I took an IQ test and I have well above average intelligence but I’m not a genius

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:48 pm
I took an IQ test and I have well above average intelligence but I’m not a genius

It’s just a figure of speech

amother
Pansy

amother [ OP ] wrote:
40 minutes

correct!

mum22

amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
That good! I had a different answer, but yours is also correct!

It's not correct. The second player will take out from the other bag also leaving it with 1, and will then win on the next go.

The correct answer is for the first player to equalise the bags, and keep equalising them each go, and will eventually win.

mum22

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:50 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
correct!

Why does it nt depend on the rate of evaporation through the steam?

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 3:58 pm
Mr. Green brags to all that he is a genius. His friends ask him to prove it. He points to a tree and says, "this tree has exactly 9894 leaves. Anyone who doesn't believe me can count them."
You know that he is just making a wild guess, but you have no patience to count every leaf on the tree.
How can you prove that Mr. Green has no clue how many leaves are on the tree without counting them??

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 4:00 pm
mum22 wrote:
It's not correct. The second player will take out from the other bag also leaving it with 1, and will then win on the next go.

The correct answer is for the first player to equalise the bags, and keep equalising them each go, and will eventually win.

Ahhh...you are right! That is the correct answer.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 4:06 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
Mr. Green brags to all that he is a genius. His friends ask him to prove it. He points to a tree and says, "this tree has exactly 9894 leaves. Anyone who doesn't believe me can count them."
You know that he is just making a wild guess, but you have no patience to count every leaf on the tree.
How can you prove that Mr. Green has no clue how many leaves are on the tree without counting them??

Pull a leaf off while he's not looking and ask, "How many leaves are on the tree? 9854?" If he corrects you and repeats his original answer, you have proof he has no idea.

mum22

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 4:07 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:

Take off a random number of leaves (a number which you will know but Mr Green won't), and ask him how many are left.

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 4:14 pm

This. The opinion of your kindergarten teacher doesn’t really make you a genius.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 4:15 pm
amother [ Geranium ] wrote:
This. The opinion of your kindergarten teacher doesn’t really make you a genius.

And afterwards everyone else

mum22

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 4:15 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
A boat sails from Point A to Point B and returns to Point A at a steady speed. As the direction of the current is toward Point B, the boat is able to complete the journey in that direction in 3 hours.
The return trip from Point B to Point A takes a total of 4 hours, because the boat is traveling against the current. If the owner of the boat would turn off the motor, how long would it take the boat to sail from point A to Point B?

24 hours.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 4:16 pm
mum22 wrote:

Right

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 4:19 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:

3 hours

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 4:37 pm
mum22 wrote:
24 hours.

Correct!
I think Mum22 is the real genius!

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 4:39 pm
mum22 wrote:
Take off a random number of leaves (a number which you will know but Mr Green won't), and ask him how many are left.

Correct!

honeymoon

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 4:42 pm
mum22 wrote:
24 hours.

can you explain how you figured this out? My equation doesn't make sense.

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 4:45 pm
mum22 wrote:
Why does it nt depend on the rate of evaporation through the steam?

Let's call the amount of water flowing from one faucet in one hour "one unit". As eleven faucets are simultaneously emptying the urn, it is obvious that the amount of water emptied from the urn in one hour equals eleven units, without accounting for the evaporated water.

If seven faucets could empty the urn after an hour and a half, in spite of the fact that they only manage to empty 10.5 units (7x1.5), it is obvious that one-half unit of water evaporates every half-hour. it thus emerges that one total unit of water will evaporate after one hour, and the rate of evaporation is equal to the flow of one faucet.

The rest you can figure out. (if not, let me know.)
Page 7 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics