Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Healthy breakfast on school mornings (poll)
1  2  Next

What type of breakfast does your kids eat
Healthy: full breakfast  
 22%  [ 34 ]
Cereal and milk  
 51%  [ 78 ]
Not healthy such as sugary cereals, snacks  
 6%  [ 10 ]
Nothing-no breakfast  
 9%  [ 15 ]
Other  
 9%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 152

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 1:44 pm
New Jersey passed laws to include breakfast in school. Most jewish schools in my neighborhood do not offer this option. Curious to know how many children eat a healthy breakfast on most days

Anonymous for now to protect my privacy

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 1:55 pm
I am usually begging my kids to have breakfast.

Yesterday they took those lentil yogurts to school.

today they agreed to plain bread with cheese (they dislike grilled cheese for some reason)

I find they get very hungry after 9 but not before.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 1:56 pm
My kids are usually not hungry in the morning and only want a smoothie if anything.

advocate

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 1:56 pm
Oatmeal
Noodles
Cream of wheat with veggie sausage patties
Scrambled eggs
Pancakes

Served with juice and vitamins

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 1:59 pm
My DD's eat breakfast at home. Not gonna rely on the school giving DD something she will actually eat.

She eats:
scrambled eggs/toast
oatmeal
pancakes
grilled cheese (sandwichmaker)
Banana bread (bread machine)

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:11 pm
three of my kids eat cereal milk. Cereals like kix cheerios etc. My 7 year old does not like to eat till she's up for at least an hour and she just takes a hot cocoa as she walks to the bus stop. I put a lot of milk in it to make myself feel better about her lack of breakfast!

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:12 pm
My son school gives cereal and milk. Sometimes toast.

Girls school is more like snack at first recess. Milk, fruit, muffin or corn chips. Sometimes string cheese or melba toast.

My girls eat before school.
Mainly cereal and milk.
Sometimes toast or bagel with scrambled eggs.
In the winter I sometimes make hot oatmeal.

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:27 pm
I voted other. My kids take after me and aren't hungry first thing in the morning. I don't force them to eat. My oldest bakes muffins and brings them for morning snack. Lately she's been taking a yogurt shake too. My middle one likes to grab a breakfast bar to eat at the bus stop or at morning recess with her fruit snack. My little one prefers to eat a string cheese in the car on the way to playgroup. Actually, today he ate half a banana instead.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:32 pm
I'm ravenous first thing in the morning so I have no idea where my kids come from! They refuse to eat in the morning, but they will eat coco pops, so I reluctantly allow it - just so they don't go to school running on empty.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:34 pm
Yogurt and Granola
Frozen blintzes
Different frozen latkes potato/spinach/Mixed vegetable
Once in a while cereal
Trader joes makes an unsweetended instant oatmeal packet that I add my own sweetener to

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:36 pm
Either oatmeal with real milk or a cream cheese sandwich. Sometimes dry cereal instead, but we try to make it one of the healthier options

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:36 pm
advocate wrote:
Oatmeal
Noodles
Cream of wheat with veggie sausage patties
Scrambled eggs
Pancakes

Served with juice and vitamins

Pasta for breakfast is my dream lol

honeymoon

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 2:46 pm
My kids get breakfast at school so they usually eat a Greek yogurt and if I'm up extra early I'll scramble some eggs for them. They eat bread in school.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 5:29 pm
Laws like this seriously annoy me. I was so relieved when I moved from Brooklyn to Lakewood and found out that Lakewood schools don’t serve breakfast. I may be in the minority, but I actually like having a say in what my kids eat. It’s bad enough that they get baked ziti, pizza snaps and chocolate leben for lunch, and hot sauce tortilla chips and Reisman’s danishes for snack. Courtesy of lunch program (and my tax money). They don’t also need to be eating processed corn, sugar, synthetic vitamins and minerals, and watery milk for breakfast. And for those who say it’s a choice, unfortunately, my kids would rather eat that stuff than anything nutritious I prepare for them, and if they know it’s going to be available in school I lose whatever incentive they had to eat breakfast at home until now.

Please, anyone who serves cereal and milk at home, please don’t take offense at my description. I really don’t care and certainly don’t judge people who choose to serve that in their homes. I just feel the choice to choose otherwise slowly being taken away from me. This isn’t me being sanctimonious, I honestly and sincerely believe my kids need whole, nutrient dense foods to thrive. I and I literally watch with my own eyes their taste for nutritious food get corrupted when they start going to school and get exposed to processed foods.

Seriously. The government should keep out of my kids stomachs.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 5:38 pm
I usually serve a full breakfast ( oatmeal, scrambled eggs, fruit, milk) but they don’t always eat it! If someone isn’t in the mood they’ll have yogurt, toast, or cereal

SuperWify

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 5:42 pm
My husband and I don’t like eating so early. My kid takes after us. It’s usually cereal and milk if at all. Sometimes he’s in the mood so it’s eggs or French toast.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 5:53 pm
How do schools serve breakfast without it cutting into instructional time? That would bother me more then the food not being very healthy.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 5:55 pm
Our children eat breakfast in cheder and school. Why doesn't NJ provide thst?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 6:03 pm
mha3484 wrote:
How do schools serve breakfast without it cutting into instructional time? That would bother me more then the food not being very healthy.
This would bother me too, but less. The girls especially in Lakewood have such short school days as it is.

In bp the school I work in serves supper (!!!) to first through third grade in addition to breakfast, lunch and snack. So the kids are getting dismissed at 3 30 instead of 4 and go straight from the lunchroom to their busses.

amother
Daisy

Post Tue, Oct 05 2021, 6:15 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Laws like this seriously annoy me. I was so relieved when I moved from Brooklyn to Lakewood and found out that Lakewood schools don’t serve breakfast. I may be in the minority, but I actually like having a say in what my kids eat. It’s bad enough that they get baked ziti, pizza snaps and chocolate leben for lunch, and hot sauce tortilla chips and Reisman’s danishes for snack. Courtesy of lunch program (and my tax money). They don’t also need to be eating processed corn, sugar, synthetic vitamins and minerals, and watery milk for breakfast. And for those who say it’s a choice, unfortunately, my kids would rather eat that stuff than anything nutritious I prepare for them, and if they know it’s going to be available in school I lose whatever incentive they had to eat breakfast at home until now.

Please, anyone who serves cereal and milk at home, please don’t take offense at my description. I really don’t care and certainly don’t judge people who choose to serve that in their homes. I just feel the choice to choose otherwise slowly being taken away from me. This isn’t me being sanctimonious, I honestly and sincerely believe my kids need whole, nutrient dense foods to thrive. I and I literally watch with my own eyes their taste for nutritious food get corrupted when they start going to school and get exposed to processed foods.

Seriously. The government should keep out of my kids stomachs.

Curious what you serve them or would like to serve them?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries