Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Best pot
1  2  Next

Chanie

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 9:16 am
After 4 years of cooking, often using the pots a few times a day, my T-fal pots are gone. Now I'm looking to buy a good set of pots. Whats most important when buying a pot? teflon I do not want again. Is it best to by stainless steel? aluminium core (even heat)? Tri-ply construction: 18/10 stainless steel, aluminum, copper? Any brand suggestion?

daisy

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 9:22 am
I've been getting rid of my nonstick coating pots too, and bought a few stainless steel (18/10) at Marshalls/TJ Maxx. I can't stand how the nonstick coating peels off and burns, etc. Would also love to hear suggestions.

Meema2Kids

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 9:25 am
I like my REvere pots with the tri ply bottom. They heat up nicely and evenly. A friend of mine says she has been using her all of her married life - about 40 year!

carrot

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 9:57 am
how much do you want to spend? and do you have a dishwasher? (I think I remember hearing that it's not recommended to wash copper pots in the dishwasher.)

Tefila

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 11:47 am
Quote:
Is it best to by stainless steel?

Yep thats what restaurants use too Exclamation

Chanie

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 12:16 pm
carrot wrote:
how much do you want to spend?

A couple hundred
carrot wrote:
and do you have a dishwasher? (I think I remember hearing that it's not recommended to wash copper pots in the dishwasher.)

I do not have a dishwasher now, but I hope to be able to use these pots for a few years and can possible have one then (hopefully)

carrot

Post Fri, Oct 21 2005, 12:41 pm
Chanie wrote:
carrot wrote:
how much do you want to spend?

A couple hundred

someone gave me a set of stainless steel all-clad (tri-ply, aluminum core) for a gift. they are really really good. hold heat forever, do not burn, easy to clean, etc.

I know that in the store they are very expensive (I think maybe in the five or six hundred dollar range) but with patience you can get them for less on e-bay. (I know because I got a few more sizes that way.) however it would probably be more like three hundred dollars at least. so I don't know if you want to spend that much.

my other set is caphalon. that is much cheaper. it is good but not nearly as good as the all-clad.

one thing I did not know at first: the names of the sets are misleading. a ten piece set does NOT mean ten pots. it is counting lids and steamers too.

chen

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 6:09 pm
if you can afford it, heavy stainless steel with either aluminum or copper bottoms. copper bottom if you don't mind polishing or don't care how they look after heating; otherwise, aluminum bottom. I have a copper-bottom revereware pot inherited from my aunt that must be over 40 years old (the pot, not the aunt LOL ) and looks as good as my own set, which is a mere baby of 20-something. oh, and when my aunt bought her set, a 10-piece set DID mean 10 pots! Now it means whatever they want it to mean-- 6 pots and 4 lids, or 4 pots, 4 covers, a ladle and a spatula...

Tefila

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 7:11 pm
Quote:
copper bottom if you don't mind polishing or don't care how they look after heating;

ditto Smile

raspberry tea

Post Tue, Nov 29 2005, 4:09 pm
When your using stainless steel do you always need to use an oil to prevent sticking?

SMG

Post Tue, Nov 29 2005, 4:54 pm
I have 2 sets of WearEver pots, one for milchig and one for fleishig. The fleishig fry pan had a coating that started peeling after a little more than a year. Otherwise, I love the pots. I also have a set of Calphalon not-shiny pots for fleishig that I am extremely happy with. The coated pans work well for a while, and are sometimes less expenseive if you don't mind the hassle of replacing them every few years. When using the coated pans you just have to be very careful not to scratch them. Try using only plastic and silicone utensils with them. That should prolong their life.

LoveMy2Kids

Post Tue, Nov 29 2005, 7:18 pm
If you want a decent pot at a reasonable price I would recommend the Macy's brand. It is called Tools of the Trade. I have had mine for a little over 6 years and they don't look much different than on the day I bought them. I only use the belgique collection. I stay away from the pots with teflon or glass lids. I also can't vouch for the copper bottoms, not sure what mine are, but definitely not copper. I could check if you are interested. The thing I love about my pots is they look even better when coming out of the dishwasher. There are definitely better pots out there, but not in the price range you mentioned. Most cooks don't need the expensive pots if you ask me. It's nice to have, but not necessary. I cook a ton and my pots still look new. I think I paid $200 for a set of 16. G'luck!

shoy18

Post Tue, Nov 29 2005, 9:01 pm
I have calphoun Heavy-gauge Infused Anodized aluminum
that are amazing but way a TON!

Mevater

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 1:36 pm
shoy18 wrote:
I have calphoun Heavy-gauge Infused Anodized aluminum
that are amazing but way a TON!

Do you have the non-stick? What makes them amazing? What are the strong points?

bonzie

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 1:48 pm
its so funny that no one is so happy with nonstick, those are the only pots I'm able to use! I got my sets as wedding presents and the name has escaped be but I'm really happy with nonstick, for milchig I have nonstick farberware which I am also fine with

baseballmom

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 2:35 pm
LoveMy2Kids wrote:
If you want a decent pot at a reasonable price I would recommend the Macy's brand. It is called Tools of the Trade. I have had mine for a little over 6 years and they don't look much different than on the day I bought them. I only use the belgique collection. I stay away from the pots with teflon or glass lids. I also can't vouch for the copper bottoms, not sure what mine are, but definitely not copper. I could check if you are interested. The thing I love about my pots is they look even better when coming out of the dishwasher. There are definitely better pots out there, but not in the price range you mentioned. Most cooks don't need the expensive pots if you ask me. It's nice to have, but not necessary. I cook a ton and my pots still look new. I think I paid $200 for a set of 16. G'luck!

I got a set of tools of the trade pots and was very unhappy with them...lasted maybe 4 years...I don't know if there are different "levels" of these pots, but I would certianly NOT recommend the ones I had. I now have Circulon pots and am happy with them so far.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 2:48 pm
Revere and Farberware are good. You can replace them, eventually, too.

yoyosma

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 2:49 pm
I think Farberware is junk, personally. I have them for Fleishig and dont really like them.

Mevater

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 2:56 pm
I've heard that you can cook rice for an hour in one of those Calphalon/Anonlon anodized aluminum pots, and it'll never burn. They say you really dont have to watch it cook.
Peppermill (in B.P) sells one brand of them- is anyone familiar?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 3:00 pm
But they're affordable, come in a convenient set, and you can afford to replace them 10 or 20 years later. or, you can add bigger ones to you set.

Unlike copper. which are expensive and not dishwasher-able.

it's very nice to have something brand new, after years of use!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen