Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Girl school interviews- what to wear??

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 2:44 pm
Hi! Wanted to know what to wear/ what should my husband wear to girl school interviews? (Applying to places very much our crowd but obviously know we shud put our best foot forward so jst wanna hear others opinions...) ie hat jacket no nail polish (tht ik Smile,, but a.t else to keep in mind?) Thnx in advance! Davening for everyone in same boat as us!!!

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 2:51 pm
My husband didn’t wear hah hat since he doesn’t usually wear one during the week. I think he wore a Spears jacket and a button down, no tie.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 2:53 pm
I think you should dress the way you normally would on a regular weekday for a simple formal occasion. I don’t understand the point of dressing differently and trying to make a different impression than who you really are.
Wishing you hatzlacha!

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 2:56 pm
I plan on dressing exactly how I always do. DH will wear his hat and jacket even though he doesn’t wear it every day , aside for Davening . But he does wear it for formal occasions. I will wear the same length sheitel, same make up and same clothes that I ordinarily wear to work every day. I’m not changing myself for a school. If they are not happy with the way I dress then I know the school is not for me.

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 2:59 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I plan on dressing exactly how I always do. DH will wear his hat and jacket even though he doesn’t wear it every day , aside for Davening . But he does wear it for formal occasions. I will wear the same length sheitel, same make up and same clothes that I ordinarily wear to work every day. I’m not changing myself for a school. If they are not happy with the way I dress then I know the school is not for me.

Yes. For this reason my husband did not remove his wedding ring

nicole81

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 3:14 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

That's how I felt, and then I didn't get my dd into the school that everyone in my neighborhood sends to. Our rabbi advised us that most people dress "up" for the school interviews and unfortunately it's just a game that we'll need to play if we want our kids in certain schools. So I toned it down for the next interview, and ended up getting dd into a way better (imo) and more selective school.

It's all meant to be, I'm over-the-moon thrilled with dd's school, and I was creeped out that the rabbi of the first school discussed my clothing and sheitel with my rabbi when he called to inquire why we didn't get in. That said, if I'd known this was such a prolific game, I would have done it differently from the get go.

We didn't have the same issues with boys schools bh.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 3:25 pm
nicole81 wrote:
That's how I felt, and then I didn't get my dd into the school that everyone in my neighborhood sends to. Our rabbi advised us that most people dress "up" for the school interviews and unfortunately it's just a game that we'll need to play if we want our kids in certain schools. So I toned it down for the next interview, and ended up getting dd into a way better (imo) and more selective school.

It's all meant to be, I'm over-the-moon thrilled with dd's school, and I was creeped out that the rabbi of the first school discussed my clothing and sheitel with my rabbi when he called to inquire why we didn't get in. That said, if I'd known this was such a prolific game, I would have done it differently from the get go.

Thanks for letting me know about this. I have boys in 4 different schools and never had this issue so I didn’t dream it would be different for my daughter. I don’t even own a different sheitel. But will have to see how to dress “up”. I don’t even know what that means in reality. I really want to show them the real me.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 3:49 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Thanks for letting me know about this. I have boys in 4 different schools and never had this issue so I didn’t dream it would be different for my daughter. I don’t even own a different sheitel. But will have to see how to dress “up”. I don’t even know what that means in reality. I really want to show them the real me.

The system doesn’t want to see the real you. It’s a game we all have to play.

nicole81

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 3:58 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

Could be that how you regularly dress is perfect for the school. For me, it meant wearing a shorter, straight, (and very obvious looking) sheitel as opposed to my naturally curly one. I also had a more professional look for the first school; I think I had a work function before or after. So I was wearing a pindot oxford for the first place. Instead, I wore a roomy plain sweater over an oxford dickie. I also wore black tights instead of nude (more bc of the weather, but who knows what made a difference), only blush and mascara for makeup, and my glasses instead of contacts.

The first interview was really bizarre. They pretty much talked at us the whole time, including about how keeping kosher was really important lol, as if my version of professional but tznius was so foreign to them that they thought we weren't even frum.

I'll also add that my dh put on a hat for the next interview for good measure.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 6:34 pm
My principal actually had a take on this that I really appreciated. Basically don’t be fake but yes put your best shoe forward and show them you know how to be respectful. She gave the example of how you dress to shul vs gym- just because you wear leggings to the gym doesn’t mean you need to show up that way to the interview…

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 6:57 pm
amother [ Currant ] wrote:
My principal actually had a take on this that I really appreciated. Basically don’t be fake but yes put your best shoe forward and show them you know how to be respectful. She gave the example of how you dress to shul vs gym- just because you wear leggings to the gym doesn’t mean you need to show up that way to the interview…
Well , that’s self understood. The same way you wouldn’t go to a job interview in gym clothes.
The question is if for the school interview we need to change completely and turn ourselves into a certain type.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 7:08 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Well , that’s self understood. The same way you wouldn’t go to a job interview in gym clothes.
The question is if for the school interview we need to change completely and turn ourselves into a certain type.

Not that extreme. But if your shaitel is long pinning it back, removing loud polish, not wearing designer clothing let’s say. Every community is different and so is every school but everyone I know is careful with what they wear to interview, pta and school plays/ functions. It shows respect and willingness. So if a teacher met you in the grocery in a ribbed tee (or insert something that’s considered borderline ok in ur community) it’s less offensive than it would be if you walked into school with it.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Oct 11 2021, 7:14 pm
nicole81 wrote:

This is closer to what I’ve experienced/heard
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics