Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
BY of the Five Towns (new school)
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 4:23 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Over the past few years, Tag has been shifting to the right. As a former student, the dress code became more BY, and there is a heightened emphasis against technology. They're focusing more on the externals then on connection. Just as a few examples. I would say it's been in the past 8 years or so.

I’m amused by the “heightened emphasis against technology.” When my daughter was there ten years ago, they were pushing pretty hard against technology. Moreover, it’s a relatively new battle! It’s not a heightened emphasis. It’s fighting the battle as it comes at you!

As far as emphasis on connection, I know this is too far right for most people in this chat, but I also have girls in BBY/TMM and the levels of connection there are through the roof Smile

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 4:42 am
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
I’m amused by the “heightened emphasis against technology.” When my daughter was there ten years ago, they were pushing pretty hard against technology. Moreover, it’s a relatively new battle! It’s not a heightened emphasis. It’s fighting the battle as it comes at you!

As far as emphasis on connection, I know this is too far right for most people in this chat, but I also have girls in BBY/TMM and the levels of connection there are through the roof Smile

Right.. it sounds like ateres Miriam is achieving the type of thing this school is hoping for in terms of less emphasis on externals.. just in a less academic environment. I also think this crowd looks like it will be focused on externals in other ways that ateres m isn’t.. like brand names etc.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 4:57 am
mra01385 wrote:
I was at the open house today for the byof5t today. These are just some of the pointers I heard. The school is going to start with a preschool and first grade. They’re main focus is that the children should love coming to school. That the School should be a warm, welcoming and accepted place. Additionally, they are going to offer a top notch education with certified and experienced teachers. They also want to partner with the parents on how the school should be run. They want parents to give suggestions.

Always easy to give theories of how they will strike a perfect balance on paper.

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 5:34 am
I just want to add that TAG isn’t just focused on externals and no connection. And while BBY/TMM has a strait up rule no smart phones, TAG has a whole class catered to the use of phones and technology in a kosher way. They realize it’s not going anywhere but they are strict in what they allow in which is great. I would not want my kids going to a school that was a free for all in terms of technology

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 5:44 am
My daughter is in TAG preschool now. I am on the more modern side of TAG.

That being said, I find most school teach how technology is bad. MO too.

Most people I know from KAY are fancy, wealthy, vacation often , very 5 towns type. Is that the parent body of this new school?

Either way, the 5 towns is bursting at the seams and needs more school options. Hashkafically I would fit in well into a school between shulamith and TAG but would be concerned if this is what the parent body is like.
Also, it's easy to say that the school will be academic and warm etc. But it's a different story to actually make that happen.
And if the parent body is KAY type, they will totally run the school

sarat

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 6:23 am
Z

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 6:57 am
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
Right.. it sounds like ateres Miriam is achieving the type of thing this school is hoping for in terms of less emphasis on externals.. just in a less academic environment. I also think this crowd looks like it will be focused on externals in other ways that ateres m isn’t.. like brand names etc.

I am an Ateres Miriam parent and the school definitely has a warm atmosphere and the is the least brand name school in the five towns. Academics are fine but that is not their main focus. I wish this new school luck but usually schools are competitive or not. Its everyone dream balance to be have amazing top of the line academics and yet be a warm friendly school not focused on externals but its kind of impossible to achieve that perfect balance...and its even harder with a wealthier crowd

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 7:25 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
My daughter is in TAG preschool now. I am on the more modern side of TAG.

That being said, I find most school teach how technology is bad. MO too.

Most people I know from KAY are fancy, wealthy, vacation often , very 5 towns type. Is that the parent body of this new school?

Either way, the 5 towns is bursting at the seams and needs more school options. Hashkafically I would fit in well into a school between shulamith and TAG but would be concerned if this is what the parent body is like.
Also, it's easy to say that the school will be academic and warm etc. But it's a different story to actually make that happen.
And if the parent body is KAY type, they will totally run the school

This. I do think it looks like it will be the fancy wealthy five towns type.. oh well. That won’t work for me.. it’s just focusing on externals in a dif way..

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 8:48 am
What is KAY?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:08 am
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
What is KAY?

It is a shul in Cedarhurst

https://www.kshul.com/

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 4:27 pm
Does anyone know if the open house was posted recorded and posted somewhere? A friend a asked me..

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 7:16 pm
Any updates on this school?

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Nov 07 2022, 6:40 pm
Anyone?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics