Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Furniture for newlyweds who will be B'H moving soon.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 10:25 am
My DD is engaged to a boy who has about 12-15 months of grad school left and he must stay in NY until he graduates and takes his exams. After he is done with his degree they plan to move cross country, and possibly even out of the country. While living in Brooklyn they plan on renting a small basement apartment to save on money. DD is done with college and is working F/T. I am thinking about what to offer them in terms of furniture/household stuff? Usually, in our circles, the girl's side buys new furniture, linens, housewares - but what to do if they likely will be moving in a year? Offer to buy new but cheaper stuff - like Ikea-type furniture, look at second-hand furniture w new mattresses and put money in saving for them so they can buy new things once they move? ? I need some ideas before I talk about it to the new couple and mechitunim.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 10:28 am
There are furnished apartments for this reason.
And put away the furniture money for them to use in their next place.
But only if you actually put it away and don’t use the money is this worth it.
My in laws and parents did it for us. The money was put away in a safe and we used it a few years later when we bought our home.

essie14

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 10:29 am
If it was me, I'd try to rent a furnished apartment and save the money for furniture once I was more settled.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 10:36 am
They already have a particular apartment in mind (basement). They actually saw few furnished apartments and did not like any. The one they liked is a newly renovated apartment and they will be getting cheaper rent since we know the landlord - but it comes w/o furniture.

essie14

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 11:08 am
Then I would furnish as cheaply as possible, secondhand, maybe Ikea or Wal mart.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics