Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Esrog for tu bishvat

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 10:45 pm
How long does candied esrog or esrog jelly last? If I make it now will it still be good for tu bishvat? Also can you freeze it?

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 1:04 am
Most esrogim are not edible. In Israel, once they are picked, they are dipped in pesticide, then shellac, and this process is repeated a number of times. The esrog is not safe to eat and is not labeled as a food. Please, don't eat an esrog or anything made with it. It's been soaked in poison.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 7:24 am
What she said.

sub

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 7:31 am
My dh makes esrog compote every year.
Lasts until tu bishvat in the fridge.
The esrig neds to be soaked in water for a few days.

amother
Zinnia

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 8:04 am
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
Most esrogim are not edible. In Israel, once they are picked, they are dipped in pesticide, then shellac, and this process is repeated a number of times. The esrog is not safe to eat and is not labeled as a food. Please, don't eat an esrog or anything made with it. It's been soaked in poison.

I don't normally cook the etrog for this reason, but this year is shemita, so does that mean we can eat next year's esrogim?

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 9:15 am
amother [ Zinnia ] wrote:
I don't normally cook the etrog for this reason, but this year is shemita, so does that mean we can eat next year's esrogim?

I'm not sure that shemita affects the farmer's ability to treat the esrog after it has been picked.

tweety1

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 9:24 am
I don't keep it in the fridge at all. Lasts in ball jars for years. My mother makes alot. She still has from a few years ago. Doesn't spoil.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 9:28 am
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
I'm not sure that shemita affects the farmer's ability to treat the esrog after it has been picked.

Even after is has been picked it still has kedushat shviit. I don't know them in detail, but there are very specific limitations on what one can do with it.

A lot of people will go to the orchard and pick their own etrog off the trees this year. If you do that, you know exactly how it has been treated since picking, and there isn't a problem.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 9:34 am
I would avoid the peel altogether, unless you knew for a fact that your esrog came from an organic kibbutz or something.

You can always use the juice to make jelly. You can also use the juice to flavor arak or vodka. (I am assuming that you are referring to an esrog that was picked before Rosh Hashana, not after. If picked after, you need to ask your rabbi before you do anything more.)

You have to be careful with esrogim, because many varieties take 2 to 3 years to mature before they can be harvested. When they are 2/3 mature, and when they are picked, will have a lot to do with their status.

watergirl

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 12:10 pm
Esrogim are not food. You can not eat them. If you live in the States, they are imported here as ritual items and not as food. They are not edible.

If natural esrogim were sold, no one would buy them. They have to be treated to achieve the look people want.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 12:19 pm
Costco sells this if you want
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa.....gBECM

amother
Dahlia

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 12:27 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Costco sells this if you want
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa.....gBECM

We're on our second jar of this already! We call it magic tea because it really makes us feel better from a cold or sore throat or even covid.

tweety1

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 12:48 pm
watergirl wrote:
Esrogim are not food. You can not eat them. If you live in the States, they are imported here as ritual items and not as food. They are not edible.

If natural esrogim were sold, no one would buy them. They have to be treated to achieve the look people want.

Esrogim can be cooked. If added enough sugar they are delicious!

tweety1

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 12:50 pm
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
We're on our second jar of this already! We call it magic tea because it really makes us feel better from a cold or sore throat or even covid.

Is this kosher? What does it taste like?

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 12:53 pm
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:

Have you tried it as a marinade? It is delicious on salmon.
Dump a spoonful on top, Shmear it around, bake.
Works on chicken and turkey too.
It was my new special Sukkot recipe this year!

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 12:55 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Is this kosher? What does it taste like?

It’s traif, that’s why I use it and posted it here.
There is a big OK on the front of the jar.

It is kind of a little bitter yet sweet with an earthy flavor of ginger.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 1:00 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Esrogim can be cooked. If added enough sugar they are delicious!

Esrogim that are grown for religious use are not considered a food crop and are not subject to the pesticide safety standards that govern food crops. The growers are allowed to use pesticides that are banned from use on food crops or at levels much higher than those permitted on food crops.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 1:13 pm
Make it now and freeze. It freezes well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen