Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Tanach Character traits of a woman who..
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 4:54 am
I am looking for tanach characters with traits of being strong emotionally and/or being a very modest woman. What comes to mind at the moment was esther? She was a modest woman and probably very strong emotionally to live as a Jew in the palace? Anyone else?

Rosie89

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 4:58 am
Ruth

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 5:00 am
Rachel

imaima

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 5:01 am
Ruth was known for her modesty.

etky

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 5:01 am
Rivkah was very modest - she fell from the camel when she saw Yitzhak.
The strongest woman I can think of was Naomi who gathered together all her strength to return to Beit Lechem after her husbands and sons died and she was left destitute.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 5:04 am
Sarah. Strong emotionally to be able to do “lech Lecha” and go away from everything she ever knew, and to be subjected to Avimelech. And a lifetime of infertility. Tzanua - “She is in the tent.” Teaching the women while Avraham taught the men.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 5:06 am
finallyamommy wrote:
Sarah. Strong emotionally to be able to do “lech Lecha” and go away from everything she ever knew, and to be subjected to Avimelech. And a lifetime of infertility. Tzanua - “She is in the tent.” Teaching the women while Avraham taught the men.

I love this! Well explained.

etky

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 5:07 am
Other strong women: Tamar (the first one - Yehuda's DIL), Yocheved, Tziporah, Ritzpah bat Aya (though no on names after her Sad ), Avigayil, Ruth for sure, Yehosheva - another heroine that few name after her, and of course Hanna

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 5:08 am
Rus

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 5:09 am
Esther. It’s my name. Esther was really modest and she went to the King to save the Jews.
Another strong woman dvora

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 5:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am looking for tanach characters with traits of being strong emotionally and/or being a very modest woman. What comes to mind at the moment was esther? She was a modest woman and probably very strong emotionally to live as a Jew in the palace? Anyone else?

I've heard Rabbi Reisman, and others, mention how Esther was passive in the first part, then more assertive for the rest of the megillah. But she was modest throughout. IRL we shouldn't conflate modest with meek.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 5:44 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Esther. It’s my name. Esther was really modest and she went to the King to save the Jews.
Another strong woman dvora

Nice name. And Dvora was modest throughout. She judged under a tree for tznius reasons.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 9:54 am
Hannah.

sequoia

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 9:58 am
Devora

ChassidishMommy

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 10:05 am
Miriam. She saved Moshe and continued delivering babies against Pharoh's law. She led the women in playing drums instead of singing shirah after krias yam suf for tznius.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 10:33 am
Another vote for Tamar (Yehuda's DIL). Even though her tricking Yehuda into having sx with her by pretending to be a harlot may seem untznius, she was doing it to get pregnant, not for pleasure or money. Also she didn't publicly embarass Yehuda when she could have (and he kinda deserved it).

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 10:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Devorah. She carried her generation, lifted her husband to a higher spiritual tafkid than he was capable of, was a judge who knew halacha, won a war, is credited with one of the ten shirot, and judged under the Tamar tree in public, so not to ever be alone with a man.

Refine

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 12:28 pm
etky wrote:
Rivkah was very modest - she fell from the camel when she saw Yitzhak.
The strongest woman I can think of was Naomi who gathered together all her strength to return to Beit Lechem after her husbands and sons died and she was left destitute.

Rivkah was strong as well. Yitzchok wanted to give the brochos to esav. Rivkah disagreed and did something about it.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 12:31 pm
Definitely Esther, but don't forget that you can also name Hadassah after Esther - same traits. And Rochel had the traits of real modesty plus strength as well

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 12:33 pm
Tzippora
The daughters of tzelafchad
Sara
Rivka
Rochel
Leah
Esther
Devorah
Yocheved
Shifra
Miriam
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names