Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Being from a "weird place"
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 6:01 am
fleetwood wrote:
Ha ha ha...so funny...I've never heard anyone from Brooklyn calling Jerusalem out of town...gee..so funny...

1. Just because you have never heard of it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

2. If this thread bothers you, perhaps don't read it?

fleetwood

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 6:06 am
DrMom wrote:

2. If this thread bothers you, perhaps don't read it?

I'm reading it to see all the interesting places. But you think comments bashing an area are ok...I should just let it go on and ignore it. Sure. No problem. Carry on.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 6:16 am
DrMom wrote:

Louder for the people in the back!

And if someone is not talking about you specifically, then don't take everything so personally. Believe it or not, it's not always about you.

fleetwood

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 6:21 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Louder for the people in the back!

And if someone is not talking about you specifically, then don't take everything so personally. Believe it or not, it's not always about you.

I never said it never happened..I said I've never seen it. But boy it sure is funny! Just as funny as the stereotypical Israeli with a cigarette in one hand and a cell phone in the other...with a third hand holding a cup of coffee...Now that's funny!

Living Princess

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 6:22 am
fleetwood wrote:
I'm reading it to see all the interesting places. But you think comments bashing an area are ok...I should just let it go on and ignore it. Sure. No problem. Carry on.

There was nothing wrong with your comment, not sure why you got bashed, I'm totally confused

Ima03

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 8:59 am
Quote:
By the Sheva brachos I struck up conversation with a family member from the other side and they said Baltimore girls are known to have a hard time

Sorry, I disagree. I'm from Baltimore and had no issues with shidduchim. If you are willing to travel, it's even more of a non-issue. My husband is from the tristate and we took turns traveling for dates. I have classmates that chose to stay in Baltimore and are marrying off their kids now. And I have relatives in NY in their 30s and 40s still single.

In terms of dating from a weird place...a relative was redt to a girl from Australia. He said no after the 1st date because she really wanted to either live there or visit on a regular basis and he couldn't see either happening because of the distance.

On a funny note, when I was in sleep away camp, in my teens, there was a girl from Detroit. She told everyone they just got electricity and the girls from NY fell for it. They also asked us Baltimore girls if we rode horses to school. (There actually is a non jewish family with horses next door to the frum school, but no we don't ride them. We own and drive cars.)

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:14 am
I just love stereotypes.

I have found that OOT people stereotype just as much as people who come from the tri-state area.

BTW, OP, all that person was saying is that they are looking for someone culturally similar to themselves.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:18 am
Ima03 wrote:
Quote:
By the Sheva brachos I struck up conversation with a family member from the other side and they said Baltimore girls are known to have a hard time

Sorry, I disagree. I'm from Baltimore and had no issues with shidduchim. If you are willing to travel, it's even more of a non-issue. My husband is from the tristate and we took turns traveling for dates. I have classmates that chose to stay in Baltimore and are marrying off their kids now. And I have relatives in NY in their 30s and 40s still single.

In terms of dating from a weird place...a relative was redt to a girl from Australia. He said no after the 1st date because she really wanted to either live there or visit on a regular basis and he couldn't see either happening because of the distance.

On a funny note, when I was in sleep away camp, in my teens, there was a girl from Detroit. She told everyone they just got electricity and the girls from NY fell for it. They also asked us Baltimore girls if we rode horses to school. (There actually is a non jewish family with horses next door to the frum school, but no we don't ride them. We own and drive cars.)

I remember as a 12 year old telling my friends in camp that we milked cows and rode horses and buggies. A few of us banded together with our farm life stories and then told them the truth the last week of the summer.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:20 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I remember as a 12 year old telling my friends in camp that we milked cows and rode horses and buggies. A few of us banded together with our farm life stories and then told them the truth the last week of the summer.

I honestly think this type of behavior is obnoxious. I wouldn't be proud if my DD told such lies to her bunkmates in camp.

I'd view it the same way as if my DD would tell everyone she lived in a mansion, and got driven to school each morning by her personal chauffer.

Last edited by Chayalle on Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:21 am
finallyamommy wrote:
I’m from a “weird place,” though I won’t get too specific since this isn’t anon. People go “where’s THAT?” and “there are JEWS there?” and it is a conversation stopper because I don’t necessarily want to volunteer my whole life story that no, there aren’t really Jews there, I didn’t grow up frum.

Ha, relatable. Except I can and do give the name of the nearby location that is known for Jews.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:22 am
fleetwood wrote:
I never said it never happened..I said I've never seen it. But boy it sure is funny! Just as funny as the stereotypical Israeli with a cigarette in one hand and a cell phone in the other...with a third hand holding a cup of coffee...Now that's funny!
It is funny Smile
And nobody is insulted by the stereotypes. You want to know why? Because weve seen that person, more than once. Smile

fleetwood

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:26 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
It is funny Smile
And nobody is insulted by the stereotypes. You want to know why? Because weve seen that person, more than once. Smile

I'm saying that it's insulting so you choose to double down..fine..

Mollie

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:26 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
It is funny Smile

Unless I say Israelis are all rude and obnoxious as I have noticed on quite a few threads.

Then you wouldn’t find it funny.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:34 am
iyar wrote:
I'm sorry I offended you Sunny Days. You did preface your remarks by saying "IF you're referring..." but of course I didn't indicate what segment I was referring to so maybe your offense was conditional and not absolute? Either way, I'm not waiting for Elul- too far away and I'll definitely forget. I apologize Sunny Days, and hope you marry off all your kids to decidedly non-weird people from wonderful places.

No worries iyar
I never hold s grudge more than a second or so, and it was in a tired moment. In any case, I’m still curious which segment of society you were referring to Wink us “ultra” chasidim frequently get bashed for our education curriculum, so kind of assumed you were speaking of us and felt like I have to set the record straight.

Anyway, I’m one of those weird people from “in town” who married a technically oot guy, even though he’s from Tri state area.

Eta and amen for your bracha! I’ll take that wonderful bracha anytime!

yo'ma

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:42 am
Wikipedia jewish populations
I guess I live in a weird place. My daughter took where we live off her resume. She doesn’t live here and doesn’t want to. People saw that and automatically said no.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:43 am
Chayalle wrote:
I honestly think this type of behavior is obnoxious. I wouldn't be proud if my DD told such lies to her bunkmates in camp.

I'd view it the same way as if my DD would tell everyone she lived in a mansion, and got driven to school each morning by her personal chauffer.

Maybe… but it’s also obnoxious to say you live in ——— , are there Jews there? Do you need to milk your own cows? Have you ever been inside a shul?
Sometimes when people ask dumb questions they deserve dumb answers.

Mollie

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:47 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Maybe… but it’s also obnoxious to say you live in ——— , are there Jews there? Do you need to milk your own cows? Have you ever been inside a shul?
Sometimes when people ask dumb questions they deserve dumb answers.

Either the kids were 5, or you were sent to a camp for kids with subpar intelligence. If you think that this is the norm then it’s a problem with you.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:56 am
fleetwood wrote:
I'm saying that it's insulting so you choose to double down..fine..
I dont understand why its insulting. Ive heard people talk that way as well. Maybe its here in israel davka that some NYers will talk tha way, but Ive heard it too. Again, its not meant to be insulting, its sharing facts.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:58 am
Mollie wrote:
Unless I say Israelis are all rude and obnoxious as I have noticed on quite a few threads.

Then you wouldn’t find it funny.
Not funny at all, its true. Ive lived in Israel for almost 2 decades. I dont live here with rose colored glasses. I know many are rude and obnoxious. Do I like hearing people say that? No, of course not, but I know its the truth.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 9:59 am
Ah yes, summer camp. Sunny

Oh boy did I ever have fun! I had a bunch of girls convinced that water polo is played with seahorses. One girl believed me for a day or two, but then I admitted that I was fibbing.

Water polo is actually played with REAL horses. Sometimes the horses drown, but it's a rough game and not for the faint hearted.

Don't worry, I set everyone straight by the end of the summer.

Everyone knows that you play water polo on the backs of dolphins, and they never drown. LOL
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics