Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
What can I send to school for birthday?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 4:25 am
Trying to brainstorm what can be given out to this class for a birthdays. No candy. Usually for borthdays it's a baked good such as cupcakes, but lots of allergies there this year. Here are a list of the allergies: Tree nuts (peanuts are ok), sesame, eggs, chocolate, barley, and then some fruits.
Everything needs to be a chasidish hechsher, so making peanut chews with gluten free rice crispies isn't an option. The kemach and taanug brand contain barley malt. (Unless someone knows of a heimish brand that doesn't contain barley)
Any other suggestions?

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 5:09 am
Can you give a bag of potato chips and a prize - like a little flashlight?

Elfrida

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 5:19 am
Google recipes for egg and dairy free cake. There are loads of them out there, and they mostly use straightforward ingreedients.

Then either bake it in cupcake tins, or bake a regular cake and cut it into squares and put them in cupcake liners.

ETA This recipe looks as though it might work.
https://thebigmansworld.com/ea.....cake/

SG18

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 5:32 am
Depending on age, I would send in a game/book for the class instead of food, based on these parameters. Unless you want to send fruit.

busy mommy

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 6:27 am
https://www.food.com/recipe/fr.....f=amp

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 6:30 am
There definitely are egg free cakes, but it may be worth calling the teacher and asking if you could do candy given the allergies

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 6:31 am
If you want to keep it simple, consider some kind of ices. Most kids love them year round.

Unique

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 8:45 am
Gefen corn flake crumbs don't have malt. I usually send in ices when I can't do anything else.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 8:56 am
Thanks everyone.
A big cake isn't really an option. Needs to be individual things to give out. Also not present for class. They are 2 year olds, so just a little something to make it all exciting. This is the 1st birthday for the school year, so it should preferably be something not too hard to make so they can have the same kind of thing for all birthdays throughout the year, but same for all birthdays isn't a must, but preferable.
Ices sounds like a good option, but will probably get real sticky with a classroom of 2 year olds. If it's something simple to make like peanut chew balls, the morah is willing to make them if any of the birthday kids' parents throughout the year are unable to, being that storebought isn't an option.
Unique-What can I make with cornflake crumbs?
Also, candy isn't an option, a few of the parents are against it. They're still young, and some kids that are the oldests in their family haven't yet been introduced to candy...

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 9:17 am
Make egg free cupcakes. You can substitute flax or chia seeds for eggs and it works fine. Google for exact proportions. They won't show unless the cupcakes are white. Maybe banana? For this age group I would make minis and maybe have some extra for the few kids who actually finish them. It looks like icing isn't a problem per your list so ice them nicely. Decorate with lits of multicolored sprinkles. If you want to be healthier don't ice them.

6000miles

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 9:30 am
Search vegan cupcake recipe for egg-free cupcakes, with sprinkles instead of choc chips

Unique

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 9:45 am
Sorry misread your post. There is a heimish brand rice krispies without the malt, can't remember which brand. I make them rice krispie treats with it for shabbos.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 10:50 am
ices or ice cream
egg free cake

My son was allergic to eggs, nuts and dairy. And no home made was allowed. It always was a challenge finding something safe to send to school.

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 10:51 am
At that age I just gave out yummy earth lolly pops and the morah was thrilled.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 10:51 am
Quote:
Sorry misread your post. There is a heimish brand rice krispies without the malt, can't remember which brand. I make them rice krispie treats with it for shabbos.

Not so simple. Marshmallow fluff has egg whites as do some marshmallows.

amother
Electricblue

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 10:58 am
Egg free cupcakes are the easiest. Don't substitute the eggs with flax or other replacements, use a recipe that doesn't contain eggs at all. I made egg free cupcakes last year for DC's birthday, they were delicious.

Egg Free Cupcakes
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup non-dairy milk (can probably sub with orange juice)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup oil
1 tbsp white vinegar
Sprinkles, optional

Preheat oven to 350⁰. Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix well. Add sprinkles if using and mix to incorporate. Divide in cupcake tins and bake 25-30 minutes.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:17 am
I sent in small little containers with cut fruit. or you can make fruit skewers.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:19 am
Most places won't allow skewers.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:20 am
It sounds very restrictive. Send in a little goodybag and call it a day. Maybe just a plain ol ice pop.

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:39 am
These kids are two and dont need anything fancy. What about sending in bag of corn pops or some other snack that fits all the allergy requirements or if your dropping him off yourself and there is a fridge send a box of popsicles. You can send in some party blowers from the dollar store and the kids will actually probably have more fun with that than any treat.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics