Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Are you supposed to respond to a shabbos invite?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 11:41 pm
Having a debate with my husband. My husband invited a family for shabbos and they never responded. Is this considered rude or not or am I being sensitive?

Blessing1

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 11:43 pm
Yes, it is rude to not respond. The hosts need to know whether to expect them or not.

BrisketBoss

Of course you are supposed to respond. Don't leave the host/hostess guessing and having to check again.

kineret

How else would you know if they can or can’t come if they don’t respond?

mommy3b2c

Very rude. They can either say yes or no. It’s not that hard .

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 12:01 am
Thank you!

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 12:04 am
Was it a formal invite-as in- We would love to have have you as our guests this shabbos? Or a “ any time you want” invite?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 12:05 am
amother [ Pear ] wrote:
Was it a formal invite-as in- We would love to have have you as our guests this shabbos? Or a “ any time you want” invite?

It was for a specific shabbos

essie14

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 12:41 am
Very rude not to respond

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 1:12 am
Yes, they should respond. But let's assume they had a hectic week, got busy, had some kind of work emergency that wiped out their brain, and completely forgot to respond. Or maybe they were going to text a response but it went into drafts instead of sending.

So nu, when you're ready to prepare for Shabbos and need to know if they're coming, follow up and ask what their response is.

naomi2

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 6:46 am
You should follow up with a phone call. It's possible they saw the text and meant to discuss with their spouse and then totally skipped their mind. Or their child read their messages and this one wasn't flagged as new anymore so they never saw it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 7:13 am
naomi2 wrote:
You should follow up with a phone call. It's possible they saw the text and meant to discuss with their spouse and then totally skipped their mind. Or their child read their messages and this one wasn't flagged as new anymore so they never saw it.

The invite was by phone.

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 7:14 am
Well then was it a voicemail? Or did you speak with someone?
No matter what the subject we always say “please call back” not leaving the info on the machine because then you never know who if anyone heard it.

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 7:18 am
It would be nice to be dl"z and assume they forgot, or something came up.

Nothing wrong with the prospevtive host reaching out a second time. If the question wasn't met with, "oh, my, I'm so sorry, I never got back to you", then I might call them rude. But not before that.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 7:26 am
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
Well then was it a voicemail? Or did you speak with someone?
No matter what the subject we always say “please call back” not leaving the info on the machine because then you never know who if anyone heard it.

It was person to person invite on the phone the old fashioned way.

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 7:35 am
ok so then I would be dklz and assume something came up -- depending upon the relationship I would either call again and follow up and if still no answer then would say "ok so another time then" as in most situations we would prefer to know, or send a text to same effect: "sorry this shabbos didn't work out hopefully another time" or something like that.
obviously people would have to answer unless its like an open house situation or something specifically stated not expecting rsvp and invitation is specifically for drop in ok no response necessary.

BrachaBatya

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 7:36 am
RUDE

Alexandra1

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 7:39 am
call again . maybe he did not ask his spouse. People need to reply in a timely fashion and be considerate of their host.

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 8:22 am
Of course it's rude. What are you supposed to do, prepare food and set place settings just in case they deign to show up? make a follow-up call. Maybe they never wrote anything down and forgot you invited them. If this sort of thing happened three times in a row, I'd stop inviting them, but that's just me.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 8:28 am
This invite was for sleeping and eating
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics