Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Sefardi Community in Lakewood
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:54 am
Were a young sefardi couple with a small baby
My husband is working (were not supported) and Im in school for OT

Were moroccan. Is there a big sefardi community in Lakewood?
Is there a place in lakewood for a working yeshivish couple?

What areas is best to check out? We dont know anyone in lakewood so its not the type we can go for Shabbos to try out the community, but we've heard such great things about it and its been on our radar since we got married. We live in queens ATM but were looking for a more yeshivish community

Any advice is much appreciated tysm!

amother
Lily

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:32 am
There are a few sefardi shuls around pine street. There are sefardim around pine street and Daniel drive, spruce street, gevuras ari drive.
There are safardi schools bnot yisroel, yagdil torah, yeshivat ohr hachaim, a new girls school oz vehadar
Maybe come on a Sunday and check it out and meet people and get invited for shabbos
Jerusalem glatt has sefardi foods

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:38 am
Rabbi Zafrani is a rav of a sefardi shul - khal bnei Torah in the center of old lakewood. I know some families are Iraqi and Syrian. I’m sure other types also.
Ppl who daven there live all over and walk on Shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:46 am
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
There are a few sefardi shuls around pine street. There are sefardim around pine street and Daniel drive, spruce street, gevuras ari drive.
There are safardi schools bnot yisroel, yagdil torah, yeshivat ohr hachaim, a new girls school oz vehadar
Maybe come on a Sunday and check it out and meet people and get invited for shabbos
Jerusalem glatt has sefardi foods

tysm! we wouldnt send to sefardi schools. my husband went to mainstreamed israeli yeshivas
what do u mean by check it out? and how would we meet people and get invited randomly lol.

are there shul commitees that do this?

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
tysm! we wouldnt send to sefardi schools. my husband went to mainstreamed israeli yeshivas
what do u mean by check it out? and how would we meet people and get invited randomly lol.

are there shul commitees that do this?

My kids all had sefardi classmates in their ashkenaz schools, that's not an issue.

I'm not either sure how you can meet people. Do you have any connections? A friend who lives here? Or a friend or relative who knows someone who lives here and can introduce you to them?

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:55 am
Pine River (ponderosa drive) and a bit of the surrounding area may be a good place for you

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:34 am
Notsobusy wrote:
My kids all had sefardi classmates in their ashkenaz schools, that's not an issue.

I'm not either sure how you can meet people. Do you have any connections? A friend who lives here? Or a friend or relative who knows someone who lives here and can introduce you to them?

Nope dont know anyone. I have a friend who has brothers and sisters who live in Lakewood and when weve been to their parents Ive schmoozed with the wives and Lakewood seems like a nice community. But not the type wed go for shabbos.

What do people do in these situations? dont go? or just make a jump and try it out for a year?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:34 am
amother [ Trillium ] wrote:
Pine River (ponderosa drive) and a bit of the surrounding area may be a good place for you

Whats it like there?
I went to westgate once for shabbos when I was single so thats the only place in lakewood I know
and I dated a bunch of bmg guys and id sometimes drive in for dates

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:41 am
We rented for a year to get a feel of the areas. We chose a place that sounded like a good fit and checked out other places over the course of the year.

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:45 am
Nusach
edut_mizrach
Address
613 Madison Ave, Lakewood, NJ 08701, USA
Contact
rabbi yoel amoyelle
Notes
Moroccan Minyan. Any shailos or sofer stam call Rabbi Amoyelle- 732-370-3853

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 12:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Whats it like there?
I went to westgate once for shabbos when I was single so thats the only place in lakewood I know
and I dated a bunch of bmg guys and id sometimes drive in for dates

Pine River is not really near West gate. It is like an hour walk on shobbos or a 7 min drive without traffic.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 1:10 pm
Pine River area (Ponderosa etc) shuls are Syrian. So are the 2 shuls in Monmouth-Princeton area. Jackson has a Morrocan community with a very chashuv Rav (name escapes me at the moment). There is no way for you to really get a feel without talking to people live. Call your friend's relatives. I'm sure they'll be glad to help.

BTW, the sefardi schools have many Yeshivish kids and might be easier for you to get into than Ashkenaz schools that sound like your type.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 1:12 pm
amother [ Dill ] wrote:
Pine River area (Ponderosa etc) shuls are Syrian. So are the 2 shuls in Monmouth-Princeton area. Jackson has a Morrocan community with a very chashuv Rav (name escapes me at the moment). There is no way for you to really get a feel without talking to people live. Call your friend's relatives. I'm sure they'll be glad to help.

BTW, the sefardi schools have many Yeshivish kids and might be easier for you to get into than Ashkenaz schools that sound like your type.

Tysm. if you think of the ravs name could u post it here?
do young coupls move to jackson? I thought it was mostly houses and for families? I have a few friends whos sisters moved to jackson/toms river but they have kids

thx for advice about schools. we have a small baby were not thinking about that yet

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 1:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tysm. if you think of the ravs name could u post it here?
do young coupls move to jackson? I thought it was mostly houses and for families? I have a few friends whos sisters moved to jackson/toms river but they have kids

thx for advice about schools. we have a small baby were not thinking about that yet

I think it's Rav Attias. Don't have contact info for him though. He would be a good person for you to talk to.

ddmom

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 2:17 pm
Rav Attias (732) 276-5500
4 Briarwood Ct
Jackson, NJ 08527
In harmony farms
I have a few friends that live there and are very happy.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 2:35 pm
ddmom wrote:
Rav Attias (732) 276-5500
4 Briarwood Ct
Jackson, NJ 08527
In harmony farms
I have a few friends that live there and are very happy.

Thank you.
Do young couples live in Jackson?
Are there apartments or its mostly houses?

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 3:21 pm
Im askenazi but I have many friends in Sefardic Outreach center on 6/Forest

Rabbi David Gabbai is a huge askin. He helped my husband and I out many times
He helps many people out. Chas,Litv, Sefardi

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 3:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you.
Do young couples live in Jackson?
Are there apartments or its mostly houses?

All houses, no apt for rent in the area
I live there...

crema

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 4:01 pm
Congregation Anshei Sfard 1250 Madison Lakewood, R. Gabbai (732) 803-7227, R. Gabbai will be able to help you.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 5:26 pm
Anshei Sfard is Ashkenaz Sfard-not Eidot Mizrach. Don't know R' Gabbai.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries