Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Naughty novels and how to quit them
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:07 pm
I always want to read them. I know I shouldn’t. I am ashamed at myself. How do I stop?

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:10 pm
I think this should maybe be moved to a non public topic

ssspectacular

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:12 pm
Substitute with reading something else.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:13 pm
You don't. You continue reading and don't feel guilty. (At least that's what I do. - it's my escape and I'm not ashamed. There are worse ways to escape)

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:14 pm
Don't be ashamed. If it's against your hashkafa, fine, but this is normal and it's not healthy to feel shame about it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:18 pm
I feel like I’m purposely sinning.. like, I wouldn’t want my children reading it, so why am I? But all the stress of the day goes when I read, it’s so nice to feel romance even if it’s through reading.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I feel like I’m purposely sinning.. like, I wouldn’t want my children reading it, so why am I? But all the stress of the day goes when I read, it’s so nice to feel romance even if it’s through reading.

You wouldn't want your children being intimate either, no? Many women find these novels actually help their intimate life.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:24 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
You wouldn't want your children being intimate either, no? Many women find these novels actually help their intimate life.

Right, so it does help our intimate life, but my DH doesn’t like that I read them. He believes it’s [filth], just in reading material and with a better story

amother
NeonPink

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:24 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:

Naughty novels is basically p-o-rn.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right, so it does help our intimate life, but my DH doesn’t like that I read them. He believes it’s [filth], just in reading material and with a better story

Why Would you tell your husband you read this stuff?! I read it too but wouldn’t share this info with my husband or anybody!

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:31 pm
I guess reading Frum Novels doesn't cut it for you?

I used to read Historical Romance decades ago - and it wasn't clean then either.

But with so many frum novels, frum magazines and Ima-Mother, I don't miss them.

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:32 pm
amother [ NeonPink ] wrote:
Naughty novels is basically p-o-rn.

No, it's not. There is no actual other person involved like there is in p∨n. P∨n is exploitative.

amother
White

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:35 pm
I was like you
I read raunchy novels in HS and then realized I couldnt bring it into my home!

Instead I substituted with christian romance novels. have you heard of that genre? Clean romance, maybe a kiss. nothing more. speaks about god and thats it.

kim vogel sawyer, jody hedlund, amanda cabot, cathy marie hawke

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:40 pm
amother [ Cyclamen ] wrote:
Why Would you tell your husband you read this stuff?! I read it too but wouldn’t share this info with my husband or anybody!

I didn’t tell him, he found it. He’s not angry at me or anything, nor I him, and besides we have an open and honest relationship BH.
But I felt guilty reading these books, so I tried being more discreet about it but the truth always comes out anyway

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:41 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I guess reading Frum Novels doesn't cut it for you?

I used to read Historical Romance decades ago - and it wasn't clean then either.

But with so many frum novels, frum magazines and Ima-Mother, I don't miss them.

I wouldn’t mind reading frum novels, I think they are great! They just cost so much, and these romance novels I read are free

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:44 pm
There are Jewish Libraries where you can take out Frum Novels for very little or even free.

I like those collections of True Inspirational Stories.

Also Biographies of Great women like Rebbitzen Kaplin and Rebbitzen Kaminetsky, Henny Machlis.

amother
Broom

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:49 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
There are Jewish Libraries where you can take out Frum Novels for very little or even free.

I like those collections of True Inspirational Stories.

Also Biographies of Great women like Rebbitzen Kaplin and Rebbitzen Kaminetsky, Henny Machlis.
m

Are you seriously recommending biographies to o someone who wants to read about relations? Banging head
OP, I don’t think you should feel guilty. It’s a natural desire. But may be more wholesome to bring your husband into your fantasies- let him in on what attracts you to these novels and see if there’s a place for that in your bedroom life.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:55 pm
amother [ Broom ] wrote:

OP, I don’t think you should feel guilty. It’s a natural desire. But may be more wholesome to bring your husband into your fantasies- let him in on what attracts you to these novels and see if there’s a place for that in your bedroom life.

So BH my DH and I are good intimately. Whether I’m reading or not, we’re good. Obviously it’s more fun when I read but he prefers I don’t read that “garbage”
It’s just hard to quit. I always relapse

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:49 pm
So don't stop cold turkey. Read clean romance. Read a romance novel once a month, and no more.

I used to devour those books, and then I got older and all of them started to sound the same, and they were all kinda dumb in the end. In real life, none of these people would stay married. (They hated each other! They were from opposite ends of the earth! They didn't even speak the same language! And yet they fellll in loooove.)

Your tastes also change, sometimes. And here's a little secret - literally all novels have some element of romance in them, it's just not the entire point of the plot.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:05 pm
Can you stop your access to them?
For some people, it's easier to stop a bad habit by slowly reducing it, others do best cold turkey.
Reward yourself for hours/days that you go without. Whatever makes it "worth it" for you.
Most importantly - find something else to read (or do) to fill that need. Cleaner romance perhaps? Would that help?
Whatever you end up doing OP, good for you for trying to change something that bothers you. Acknowledging is step one.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room