Home

Do you make Challah in the bread maker?
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:21 pm
Do you have a recipe you love?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:35 am
Bumping
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 9:32 am
I have a recipe that I just happen to mix in the bread machine, and then I take it out, braid it, and bake it in the oven.

Do you want?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 11:51 am
Chayalle wrote:
I have a recipe that I just happen to mix in the bread machine, and then I take it out, braid it, and bake it in the oven.

Do you want?


Yes, please! Exactly what I'd like to do!
Back to top

esther7




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 3:04 pm
I got this recipe from this site. Can't remember if I took 2 different recipes and adapted them, or this was the original. I think it was chocolate mousse's recipe or adapted from that

1 3/4 cup warm water
1/2 c oil
1/2 sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tbsp salt
6 c flour
2 tbsp yeast

I put it on the dough setting and then shape it and bake in the oven
Back to top

chocolate moose




 
 
 
 

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 7:34 pm
esther7 wrote:
I got this recipe from this site. Can't remember if I took 2 different recipes and adapted them, or this was the original. I think it was chocolate mousse's recipe or adapted from that

1 3/4 cup warm water
1/2 c oil
1/2 sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tbsp salt
6 c flour
2 tbsp yeast

I put it on the dough setting and then shape it and bake in the oven


sounds like something from my recipe collection
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:21 am
chocolate moose wrote:
sounds like something from my recipe collection


Esther, and chocolate moose, thanks so mouch!

Chayala, would you mind sharing your recipe as well please?

thanks!
Back to top

sky




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:37 am
I make this every week in my bread machine

6.5 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 cup oil
2 cups water
1 egg
1.5 Tbsp Yeast

Gives me 3 medium challahs.
I’ve been making it for years based off this recipe
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....47972
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:41 am
sky wrote:
I make this every week in my bread machine

6.5 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 cup oil
2 cups water
1 egg
1.5 Tbsp Yeast

Gives me 3 medium challahs.
I’ve been making it for years based off this recipe
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....47972


Seems like a large recipe for my machine. Which machine do you have?
Back to top

JoyInTheMorning




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:41 am
I use the bread machine challah recipe from here: https://imashalom.blogspot.com......html

Quote:

Ima and Abba Shalom's Bread Machine Challah Recipe

Makes 2 challahs

1 cup water
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 packet yeast
4 cups flour

1. Put all ingredients in your bread machine pan. If you don't have a bread machine, buy one, they are the best thing ever. Put pan in the machine. Set the machine to the dough cycle. Press start.

At the end of the cycle (about 90 minutes)...

2. Remove dough from bread machine. Lightly oil a cookie sheet.

(Note: keep flour on hand to make the dough easier to work with)

3. Separate dough into 2 balls. Form the first ball into four strands. Place strands on the cookie sheet and join them at the top.

4. Braid! To make a four-strand braid lift up the rightmost strand, put it under two strands and over one strand. Repeat until you get to the bottom of the strands. Join at bottom.

5. Form second ball into 4 strands. Braid your second challah!

6. Let braided loaves rise in a warm place for about 1 hour (30 minutes if using rapid rise yeast).

7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make an egg wash out of 1 beaten egg and about 1 TBS water. Use a pastry brush to cover challahs with egg wash.

8. Bake 25-30 minutes. When challahs are done they should be golden brown and make a hollow sound when tapped.

9. Let cool.

10. Enjoy!

Note: If you are making these challahs more than 12 hours in advance, they should be stored in the freezer for maximum freshness (place freshly baked, still-warm challahs in a brown shopping bag to avoid condensation and place bag in freezer). Remove from freezer 4-6 hours before serving.

Variations:

-For a healthier challah you can use 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 2 cups white flour.
-For a tasty twist mix craisins or raisins into the dough before forming strands.
-For a kid-pleasing treat put cinnamon and sugar or sprinkles on top of the challah before baking.
-For a super-sweet challah, add honey to dough ingredients and egg wash.


The recipe calls for 4 cups of flour, but I always weigh my flour. I get good results with 19.5 - 20 ounces of flour.
Back to top

challahchallah




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seems like a large recipe for my machine. Which machine do you have?


I use a smaller recipe. I think I could easily mix the larger recipes in my machine, but I couldn’t let it rise all the way. I have the Zojirushi Home Bakery Virtuoso. With this recipe, I set it on the dough setting, then let it keep rising another 20-30 minutes so it’s nice and puffy, then braid, rise again, then bake. I make two medium challot or four mini ones.

1 cup + 1 Tbsp water
1Tbsp oil
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
4 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp yeast (I currently use a specialty instant, but I’ve also used active dry which works well but takes longer to rise)
Back to top

amother




Tangerine
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:11 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have a recipe that I just happen to mix in the bread machine, and then I take it out, braid it, and bake it in the oven.

Do you want?


Hi Chayalle do you mind posting the recipe thank you.
Back to top

sky




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seems like a large recipe for my machine. Which machine do you have?


I have a 2.5 lb Panasonic.
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 10:23 am
Here's my recipe:

1 envelope (2 1/4 tsp) dry yeast
1 Cup warm water
4 cups flour (I do 2 cups whole wheat and 2 cups regular)
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in bread machine. Mix on dough setting till smooth. let rise 1 hour.

Braid into challahs (I do either 2 challahs, or 6 bulkies.) Let rise 1/2 hour. Brush with beaten egg. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes.
Back to top

amother




Tangerine
 

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 12:36 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Here's my recipe:

1 envelope (2 1/4 tsp) dry yeast
1 Cup warm water
4 cups flour (I do 2 cups whole wheat and 2 cups regular)
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in bread machine. Mix on dough setting till smooth. let rise 1 hour.

Braid into challahs (I do either 2 challahs, or 6 bulkies.) Let rise 1/2 hour. Brush with beaten egg. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes.


Thx so much Chayalle good shabbos!
Back to top

amother




cornflower
 

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 1:33 pm
Is the reason people don’t bake the challah in the bread machine because then you’ll only get 1 loaf?
Why is it a better choice to use the bread machine for a small dough than a Bosch?
If a bread machine makes life easier I really want to know! I will buy one right away. I’m the master of shortcuts and I’m always looking for conveniences.

These days I’m making a small dough recipe using 8 cups of flour. I get 2 big loaves or 3 small.
Back to top

sky




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 2:44 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Is the reason people don’t bake the challah in the bread machine because then you’ll only get 1 loaf?
Why is it a better choice to use the bread machine for a small dough than a Bosch?
If a bread machine makes life easier I really want to know! I will buy one right away. I’m the master of shortcuts and I’m always looking for conveniences.

These days I’m making a small dough recipe using 8 cups of flour. I get 2 big loaves or 3 small.


For me it’s just easier to keep in counter /more compact.
You put e wry thing in. Forget about it and take it out when ready to braid.
Back to top

amother




cornflower
 

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 3:52 pm
sky wrote:
For me it’s just easier to keep in counter /more compact.
You put e wry thing in. Forget about it and take it out when ready to braid.


Isn’t that the same with the Bosch? Put everything in, let rise…
Back to top

challahchallah




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Dec 10 2021, 5:24 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Is the reason people don’t bake the challah in the bread machine because then you’ll only get 1 loaf?
Why is it a better choice to use the bread machine for a small dough than a Bosch?
If a bread machine makes life easier I really want to know! I will buy one right away. I’m the master of shortcuts and I’m always looking for conveniences.

These days I’m making a small dough recipe using 8 cups of flour. I get 2 big loaves or 3 small.


I like the bread machine over a mixer because it has a built in timer. I can put the ingredients in Thursday night, and have it set up to be done with the first rise by the time I wake up Friday morning. I braid it when I wake, and if I’ll be home for another 90mins or so I’ll let it do its second rise and bake. If I’m leaving, I’ll put the braided loaves in the fridge for a slower rise and bake when I get back. On summer shabbats, sometimes I’ll put the ingredients in when I wake up and have it programmed to be done when I get home from work. The flexibility of timing makes a big difference for me in my schedule. I do use my mixer on occasion when I am around the whole time or if I want to make a larger batch.

I don’t bake it in the bread machine because the bread machine only makes traditional loaf shaped loaves, and I like to take it out and braid it. I do also break it into multiple loaves before baking.
Back to top

lkwdlady




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Dec 27 2021, 3:50 pm
Can someone recommend a bread machine that can hold 8 cups of flour (my usual small recipe for 2 loaves)?
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Looking for matzo ball recipe with bread crumbs instead of
by amother
2 Yesterday at 1:03 pm View last post
If have to renew license do they make you retake picture?
by amother
7 Fri, Jan 21 2022, 10:21 am View last post
Anyone make this? Crockpot Brisket
by amother
2 Fri, Jan 21 2022, 9:48 am View last post
How to make pizza from whole wheat wraps
by amother
3 Wed, Jan 19 2022, 3:00 pm View last post
What can I make using the cereal 'bran flakes'
by amother
11 Tue, Jan 18 2022, 12:22 pm View last post