Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Regretting eBay sale. Cancel?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:09 am
An evening gown I listed on eBay sold for $100. It cost me about $1000 after all expenses and was worn just once. It probably cost close to $100 just to clean it professionally!
It's my mistake to have listed it at such a low starting bid, but I don't think it's worth it to sell it to someone for $100 minus the eBay fees. I'm thinking I could just keep it and see if it fits me for the next wedding in the family. Or, just donate it to a gemach.
I need to be more careful when listing these things (I barely post things for sale anyway) because somehow I always end up in trouble.

The dress is definitely not worth $1000 but I would have liked to receive at least $300-500. Also the fact that it's modest and a Jewish brand probably helped contribute to the high cost.

What should I do?

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:26 am
It’s not honest to cancel and the buyer will probably leave you negative feedback. That’s the way a starting bid works.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:30 am
I've done that before. It should be a kappara.

If Hashem wants you to have the extra money, it will come to you in another way.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:52 am
notshanarishona wrote:
It’s not honest to cancel and the buyer will probably leave you negative feedback. That’s the way a starting bid works.

I'm aware that it will lower my ratings but I'm not sure I care that much. Like I said, I barely sell things on eBay.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:56 am
I say reach out to the buyer and let them know your sorry, it was mistakenly posted for this price, and that it will be cancelled.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm aware that it will lower my ratings but I'm not sure I care that much. Like I said, I barely sell things on eBay.

It’s still not nice and I would think not the right thing to do (unless the buyer doesn’t mind).

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:16 am
For next time, you should know that you can set a minimum sale price so that it won't be sold unless it hits that threshold.
Personally, I would swallow the loss because it was my mistake and it isn't 'mentchlich' to back out. You also have to factor in the time spent trying to sell the item, the space it takes up and the mental energy all of this takes. I was trying to sell my bugaboo a while back and people just didn't want it at the price I wanted. In the end I sold it for less than I wanted originally because I just wanted it gone and it was taking too long.

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:33 am
I would cancel.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:34 am
It's not nice, and it's against the rules you AGREE TO when you sign up to be an eBay seller.

watergirl

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:36 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
It's not nice, and it's against the rules you AGREE TO when you sign up to be an eBay seller.

Not only is it not nice, but - OP, when did this item get sold? How long has the buyer been waiting for it to arrive? What if the person has been searching for the perfect dress, modest and ready to wear for an event and now is stuck because you cancelled?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:54 am
I would ask a Rav. It sounds like OP was NOT aware that this was a realistic possibility when she listed the dress.

4g01o

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:55 am
You can't cancel now. You should've set a minimum on it. Yes it costs a little more but it would've been worth it.

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:05 pm
amother [ DarkCyan ] wrote:
I would ask a Rav. It sounds like OP was NOT aware that this was a realistic possibility when she listed the dress.

It's part of the agreement terms you agree to when you because a seller.
Ebay is very upfront about it.
That's why many sellers use a minimum starting amount or just give it a set price.
Technically the buyer can file a complaint if she chooses to do so and op can be banned from Ebay.

SDmother

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:10 pm
This just happened to me. He wrote me an email that he is so sorry but listed the item with the wrong price. However, his official reason for canceling on eBay was "insufficient inventory." I did not write a bad review because the item was really posted for very little.

kenz

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:23 pm
Fab4 wrote:
You can't cancel now. You should've set a minimum on it. Yes it costs a little more but it would've been worth it.

I think everyone is being overly cautious here with regard to Ebay rules. If you really regret the sale and think you might keep it, just apologize to the buyer and do so, especially if you don’t care about your Ebay standing. People make mistakes, it happens. I do think that if you’re going to donate it, then you might as well just give it to the buyer and make a tiny profit and not have to cancel the deal.

4g01o

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:57 pm
kenz wrote:
I think everyone is being overly cautious here with regard to Ebay rules. If you really regret the sale and think you might keep it, just apologize to the buyer and do so, especially if you don’t care about your Ebay standing. People make mistakes, it happens. I do think that if you’re going to donate it, then you might as well just give it to the buyer and make a tiny profit and not have to cancel the deal.

I'd be very disappointed if I bought something that I was excited about, thought was perfect and then it got cancelled. It doesn't seem a fair thing to do.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:03 pm
kenz wrote:

I have worked for eBay, in the 00s. These rules aren't a joke. You agree to certain terms when you sign up to be a seller. Not only is it bad business and against the terms of service you agree to when you sign up, it's also deeply rude.

I've also spent two decades as an eBay seller and buyer. If a seller pulled this on me, I'd report them.

Here's the thing: YOU HAVE AGREED TO THE RULES by signing up to be a seller. Isn't part of being frum doing the right thing? That's all I read about all day on this site. Why doesn't it come into play here?

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 2:38 pm
You sold a product. You can’t decide you didn’t want to sell it because you didn’t think your sales plan through.

Imagine if you bought a pair of shoes on sale and after you paid the saleswoman says ‘we didn’t realize the sale would make the item so cheap so we are cancelling the sale’.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:46 pm
It's called Seller's Remorse. You don't have to sell it.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:57 pm
You can cancel but you may lose your ability to sell on eBay. It depends whether that bothers you. The very first thing I sold on eBay the buyer backed out and didn’t pay. It’s been 12 years and I haven’t really touched the site since. People are so flaky on there and I don’t like to deal with it as a seller or buyer. I’d say that the buyer wouldn’t be terribly shocked if you canceled. It’s kind of how things work on eBay. Not the same as selling in an actual store at all.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics