Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
At what point do they start doing a stretch longer than 3 ho
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:53 pm
my 8 week old baby never does more than 3 hours. not even at night. she does 2.5 to 3 hours straight thru. 24 hours. my others would do a stretch longer than that at some point of the day. she definitely gained nicely so I was wondering when I can expect some sort of stretch aka sleep. should I try to encourage it at night with a paci?

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:08 pm
Every baby is different.

My first did an 8 hour stretch by 6 weeks. It was amazing.

My 2nd, oh man. More like 5 Months. At a year he’s still a lousy sleeper 😩

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:21 pm
I'd say around 5 months, when you start to give solids like rice cereal. Otherwise you'll be waking up to feed at least once or twice per night.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:22 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'd say around 5 months, when you start to give solids like rice cereal. Otherwise you'll be waking up to feed at least once or twice per night.

I'm not talking abt waking up once or 2 a night. that's normal. I'm talking abt being up every 1 to 2 hours since the feedings take an hr. ...

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not talking abt waking up once or 2 a night. that's normal. I'm talking abt being up every 1 to 2 hours since the feedings take an hr. ...

That's normal for an 8 week old. Maybe your baby has a weak latch, and isn't getting enough milk. Is she gaining nicely, or is she on the skinny side? Your baby should be pretty chubby by now. Skinny babies are constantly starving and will never let you sleep.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

(Why do feedings take an hour?)

(My newborns went 2-3 hour stretch immediately (from
Time put back down to bed to wake time) I thought you were asking when they’d wake less frequently

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:33 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
(Why do feedings take an hour?)

(My newborns went 2-3 hour stretch immediately (from
Time put back down to bed to wake time) I thought you were asking when they’d wake less frequently

chubby baby loves to eat. 20 minutes each side with a burp/ diaper in the middle is an hr. how long should I be nursing for ?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
chubby baby loves to eat. 20 minutes each side with a burp/ diaper in the middle is an hr. how long should I be nursing for ?

20 minutes each side is long. I know baby likes to eat but that is still long for a feed. Any chance of a tongue tie? The baby need a new diaper at every feed in the night?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:41 pm
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:
20 minutes each side is long. I know baby likes to eat but that is still long for a feed. Any chance of a tongue tie? The baby need a new diaper at every feed in the night?

idk abt the tongue tie. Definitely gaining... I skip diapers at night but sometimes takes time to settle ..

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
idk abt the tongue tie. Definitely gaining... I skip diapers at night but sometimes takes time to settle ..

Babies can gain initially when your supply is high. Did you have pain more than the first couple of days? Any clucking? Does the baby have a strong suck without coming on and off?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:51 pm
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:
Babies can gain initially when your supply is high. Did you have pain more than the first couple of days? Any clucking? Does the baby have a strong suck without coming on and off?

some occasional clucking. no pain. sometimes pops off but goes back on...good latch.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 12:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
some occasional clucking. no pain. sometimes pops off but goes back on...good latch.

Doesn't sound obvious then. Maybe a pacifier can be of help if baby just likes to suck. Ive seen fat babies who eat in minutes.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 5:55 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
That's normal for an 8 week old. Maybe your baby has a weak latch, and isn't getting enough milk. Is she gaining nicely, or is she on the skinny side? Your baby should be pretty chubby by now. Skinny babies are constantly starving and will never let you sleep.

My babies are skinny but sleep through the night from a few weeks old. Breastfed babies tend to be skinnier than bottle fed ones. The important thing is that they follow their growth curve.

SG18

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 6:02 am
My breastfed baby is chubby, she gives me a 4-5 hour stretch once per night, and the rest is 1-2 hours. During the day she feeds for 5-15 minutes at a time (she's an efficient feeder). But I cosleep and it just takes a minute to latch on and fall back asleep at night.

4g01o

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 6:06 am
My 8 week old started to sleep between 6 and 7.5 hours stretch at night bh.

But he's on bottles, formula only so it's different.

One of my others slept really long at 8 weeks too but the other 3 I don't remember...
Maybe your baby needs a longer feed?
Itll happen, hang in there

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 8:11 am
3-4 months but some babies are not very good at that. My pediatrician claims when your 4 month old wakes up you should calmly rub her cheeks and say it is sleeping time and skip the feed. It does work but not everyone wants that. And certainly not at 8 weeks.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 8:36 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
3-4 months but some babies are not very good at that. My pediatrician claims when your 4 month old wakes up you should calmly rub her cheeks and say it is sleeping time and skip the feed. It does work but not everyone wants that. And certainly not at 8 weeks.

It depends on how much they eat during the day. Last night I cut my baby's feed short to move her towards sleep training. Guess who was up 2 hours later ready to eat again instead of going 4! I guess she needs to eat at night, so I'm focusing on filling her as much as I can other times to try to cut down on it

tichellady

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 10:36 am
Mine started sleeping better around 3 months but is now sleeping like a newborn ( waking constantly) at four months. My first didn’t sleep well until about a year

HavaNagila

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 10:55 am
This is normal for babies.
You can try some of these tricks:
1. Try doing a dream feed in the late evening so you can get a double stretch.
2. Nurse baby to sleep so they can go a little longer
3. 15 min per side should be enough
4. If your supply is established, introduce a pacifier. Babies like to suck, it comforts them. If you don't want to be the pacifier, give one Smile

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 11:09 am
HavaNagila wrote:
This is normal for babies.
You can try some of these tricks:
1. Try doing a dream feed in the late evening so you can get a double stretch.
2. Nurse baby to sleep so they can go a little longer
3. 15 min per side should be enough
4. If your supply is established, introduce a pacifier. Babies like to suck, it comforts them. If you don't want to be the pacifier, give one Smile

whats a dream feed.
the problem is also that baby doesn't start night til 2 or 3am. fussy and awake til then. I give bath and formula bottle around 9pm but doesn't help. . sleeps til 11am with feedings in between. how can I get the night to move up?.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics