Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How hard is it to maintain a pool ?
1  2  Next

lossetes

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 12:11 pm
We recently saw a house for sale which has an pool in the backyard. While we do enjoy swimming it's not our top priority in life and don't mind if we don't have one. I wanted to know if a lot of work must be done to maintain a pool properly year round to keep it clean or is it something very simple?

justmarried:)

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 12:32 pm
It’s Costs quite a bit to maintain
Heating the pool and other costs

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 12:34 pm
A pool in the yard is something that if you ask "how much?" Then it is not for you

momof2+?

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 12:51 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
A pool in the yard is something that if you ask "how much?" Then it is not for you

I don’t know where op is looking, but in Toms River it feels like 25% of the homes have pools. So A person may even choose to buy a home with a pool and then choose to keep it or fill it up.

lossetes

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 12:55 pm
justmarried:) wrote:
It’s Costs quite a bit to maintain
Heating the pool and other costs
I'm Referring to an outdoor pool. The cost isn't the biggest issue it's more the time and energy that must be invested. If in worst case scenario I would neglect the pool would it be much harder to fix in the future ? Is there anyway to just "protect" the pool if not in use ?

galbis

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 12:58 pm
I have a pool in my backyard. It is an expense, but not crazy. Opening it and closing it is probably around $500-600. My husband does the regular maintenance, so the only other thing we need to pay for is the chemicals (which did go up in price last year). If you pay for weekly service, it is much more expensive. If you keep a heater running all the time, it will affect your utility bill significantly. We don't keep our heater on; if it's a cool day and I know we'll be using the pool, I turn it on that morning. There are times you have to pay for repairs. Thankfully, we haven't had anything too major. You can always decide not to open the pool one summer. I look at it that I'll have to entertain my kids anyway, so instead of paying admissions to attractions, we spend it on the pool.

lossetes

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 12:58 pm
momof2+? wrote:
I don’t know where op is looking, but in Toms River it feels like 25% of the homes have pools. So A person may even choose to buy a home with a pool and then choose to keep it or fill it up.
This is what I'm referring to. I like the house mainly bec. of it's location and price. It happens though to have a pool which takes up space in the yard. Based on the mount of energy and effort needed to maintain it (or protect it if not in use) is what my decision is based on.

lossetes

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 1:00 pm
galbis wrote:
I have a pool in my backyard. It is an expense, but not crazy. Opening it and closing it is probably around $500-600. My husband does the regular maintenance, so the only other thing we need to pay for is the chemicals (which did go up in price last year). If you pay for weekly service, it is much more expensive. If you keep a heater running all the time, it will affect your utility bill significantly. We don't keep our heater on; if it's a cool day and I know we'll be using the pool, I turn it on that morning. There are times you have to pay for repairs. Thankfully, we haven't had anything too major. You can always decide not to open the pool one summer. I look at it that I'll have to entertain my kids anyway, so instead of paying admissions to attractions, we spend it on the pool.
500-600 a month ? or a year ? After all costs together how does does it come out annually around ?

shmosmom

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 1:13 pm
Aside for maintenance, I assume insurance on the property will be a lot more too.

BadTichelDay

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 1:19 pm
If you have small kids who can't swim, you'll have to come up with a way to secure the pool. There are so many drowning accidents involving backyard pools! I know two families personally who each had a child drowned in recent years.

animeme

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 1:23 pm
OP, is it already safely fenced in, or would you need to do that?

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 1:24 pm
You should also keep in mind the headaches of the politics with neighbors and friends and family that take too much advantage of your pool. Just read some of the pool threads here. Another thing to help with the decision making. Good luck!

ChutzPAh

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 1:26 pm
It shouldn’t be the make it or break it decision for the purchase of the house. You can always decide to fill it or use it.

lossetes

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 1:40 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
If you have small kids who can't swim, you'll have to come up with a way to secure the pool. There are so many drowning accidents involving backyard pools! I know two families personally who each had a child drowned in recent years.
Thanks I will have to take it into consideration.

lossetes

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 1:40 pm
animeme wrote:
OP, is it already safely fenced in, or would you need to do that?
I would have to do it.

lossetes

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 1:42 pm
ChutzPAh wrote:
It shouldn’t be the make it or break it decision for the purchase of the house. You can always decide to fill it or use it.
If I fill it are there still major headaches involved ? What if I decide I want to use it will it be a whole hassle ?

torquoise

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 1:44 pm
If you have a pool, you will make a lot of new friends Smile They will come crawling out of the woodwork

bargainlover

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 1:49 pm
Must put a safety fence which can cost 5,000-10,000 depending on size and kind of fence you choose
Summer maintenance with someone doing weekly cleaning etc is about $2,500
No maintenance in the winter
Make sure you have good winter cover so doesn’t get ruined
We love our pool!! With proper safety precautions it’s great!!

Living Princess

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 1:58 pm
lossetes wrote:
I would have to do it.

Yes, you need to fence in your pool even if you don't have little kids, as most any frum person has relatives and friends with little kids. Here are some important points.
- make sure the fence isn't climbable
- make sure the fence is high enough
- make sure the posts are spaced closely together so even a very thin child can't get through
- make sure you have a double latch and a very good lock
- make sure to have basic life saving equipment around (long pole, tube...) You and DH should ideally know CPR.

I actually had a fence custom made as I have heard of way too many accidents at pools.

You also need to give your kids swimming lesson or be able to teach them yourself. Your kids should be water borne as early as possible - probably by age 5-6.

Maintaining a pool requires some learning. My husband usually does it but sometimes we do need to call in a service to help. You sometimes have big expenses like replacing the pump/motor but that's like once in 10 years.

Also keep in mind that filling your pool with dirt or demolishing it will cost you a nice amount of $ also. So if the pool is in good condition it might be worthwhile keeping it.

applesbananas

Post Wed, Dec 01 2021, 2:41 pm
It’s about 3k during the summer season. If you heat it, ur electricity bill can be an extra $200-300 a month.

Having a pool is very very enjoyable and you’ll likely end up really loving it. It’s also a responsibility..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics