Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How to make the most money as a frum lady
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:17 pm
Daycamps
My daughter's camp is charging 120 a week plus registration. They accept 50 girls (!)
Over 8 weeks this girls is grossing $52,250. They already said they won't give tax receipts so I assume they don't plan on on reporting it. That is more than my annual salary. Pretax.

Babysitters. My sitter charges $1000 a month and takes 5 babies. $5000 a month ain't bad when you stay home with babies all day.

Why did I bother getting a degree.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:21 pm
You're earning less than $52,500 annually with a degree? What type of degree do you have?

Rubies

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:22 pm
Unexpected!

Elfrida

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Daycamps
My daughter's camp is charging 120 a week plus registration. They accept 50 girls (!)
Over 8 weeks this girls is grossing $52,250. They already said they won't give tax receipts so I assume they don't plan on on reporting it. That is more than my annual

Um. Then there's a salary for how many counsellors? Equipment? Food? Trips? Advertising? Insurance? I don't think it's that straightforward.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:31 pm
And mind you both of those jobs are not easy. The ppl that do them deserve every penny they make. Fargin someone else their salary please! And if you can’t afford daycamp or babysitting, don’t send.

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:31 pm
120 a week isn’t so much. I’m paying 160 for my 5 year old. When you factor in rent (I’m assuming these girls are renting a space for 50 girls) supplies and trips plus paying all the counselors- they’re coming away with a lot less. I’m sure they’re still making a decent amount but good for them! It’s hard working with kids in the heat all day.

Genius

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:32 pm
Yes. When you only count the revenue, so many businesses are gold mines. You need to think about the expenses, time and hard work the entrepreneur invests before deciding that this is your path to become a millionaire.
(And if it bothers you to pay these people because they make too much money, feel free to take your business elsewhere)

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:33 pm
Because not everyone wants to work with other people's kids haha
And anyone who works outside of the house pays someone else to work watching their kids. Vicious cycle.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:34 pm
Local Frum babysitters/camp in Brooklyn is actually cheaper than secular alternatives. I agree it is difficult to afford, but I would say after all the expenses involved they aren't making that much.

Places that only take vouchers on the otherhand... dont get me started.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:35 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Um. Then there's a salary for how many counsellors? Equipment? Food? Trips? Advertising? Insurance? I don't think it's that straightforward.

I agree with you about everything except insurance. If it’s not a legal camp, they most likely don’t have insurance.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:38 pm
Here’s an idea, OP. Quit your job. Open a babysitting group and a day camp.

Come back next year with an update on your income.

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:41 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
You're earning less than $52,500 annually with a degree? What type of degree do you have?

She probably means after taxes.
That is how much someone making around 70l would bring home.
Like many therapists.

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:45 pm
I sent to a camp last year with no food. No trips. (Trip is being your bike and go around the block)
5th graders as campers making $15/week. Small Above ground pool she uses every year.
No insurance. No taxes.
Small crafts.
I really don’t think her expenses are so crazy.
I think she does make a mint.
But that is fine bec I don’t want to do it.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:48 pm
deff dont be a speech therapist like me
I make nothing, we literally live paycheck to paycheck
idk why I wasted my time either.
I should have been a babysitter

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 3:53 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:

No OP, but just for the record, I work in Dialysis. I work in a center, all through Covid, in a mask and PPE, as does all the staff. I work in the tri-state area. We either start 4:30/5 am or the evening shift until 11:30 pm. And people’s lives depend on us doing a good job.
Techs-you know the ones who actually stick and care for the patients and make sure that everything is clean so you don’t get an infection. They make 34.5K per year.
Nurses-they oversee the techs, make sure orders are correct, monitor BP (which can drop suddenly) and ensure medications are dispensers properly…. They make about 81K. And remember, they can’t come and go or even go to the bathroom as they please.
MSWs make about 65K (but have more flexibility)

Not everyone gets to work in Lakewood as a secretary making $55 /hour to work part time and come and go as they please.
There is a real world at there and your entitlement/expectations are very disheartening and make those of us who work really hard and do important work feel completely devalued.

**ETA, this is all on the books and before taxes, which gets taken off the top. Health insurance is then also deducted. We don’t get free Medicaid …..( but MSWs know all about it)

Genius

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 4:05 pm
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
No OP, but just for the record, I work in Dialysis. I work in a center, all through Covid, in a mask and PPE, as does all the staff. I work in the tri-state area. We either start 4:30/5 am or the evening shift until 11:30 pm. And people’s lives depend on us doing a good job.
Techs-you know the ones who actually stick and care for the patients and make sure that everything is clean so you don’t get an infection. They make 34.5K per year.
Nurses-they oversee the techs, make sure orders are correct, monitor BP (which can drop suddenly) and ensure medications are dispensers properly…. They make about 81K. And remember, they can’t come and go or even go to the bathroom as they please.
MSWs make about 65K (but have more flexibility)

Not everyone gets to work in Lakewood as a secretary making $55 /hour to work part time and come and go as they please.
There is a real world at there and your entitlement/expectations are very disheartening and make those of us who work really hard and do important work feel completely devalued.

**ETA, this is all on the books and before taxes, which gets taken off the top. Health insurance is then also deducted. We don’t get free Medicaid …..( but MSWs know all about it)

Not cerulean but It’s not entitlement or outrageous to want to earn a gross income of more than 100k. I respect the work you do, but America is a free country and anyone who’s unhappy with their income is free to look for a better paying job.
***Most people pay taxes. We’re in this with you.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 4:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Daycamps
Over 8 weeks this girls is grossing $52,250. They already said they won't give tax receipts so I assume they don't plan on on reporting it. That is more than my annual salary. Pretax.

Babysitters. My sitter charges $1000 a month and takes 5 babies. $5000 a month ain't bad when you stay home with babies all day.

Why did I bother getting a degree.
m
Where do you live that babysitterscharge $1k a month? I’m becoming a babysitter! What age is this??

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 4:08 pm
Camp has to pay for staff , for 50 campers probably at least 5 counselors getting $1-200 a week, rent, activities, food, sports equipment, arts and crafts, baking, etc. , pool rental, transportation for trips and more. It’s not as profitable as you think. All these activities cost money (I was a head counselor as a teenager and came home with maybe 8000. )

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 4:09 pm
I just called an organizer today to help me (didn’t hire after heard the price!) she charges $250 an hour and $400 for a consult to come down 1st time and evaluate needs!!! This is Lakewood
I have accounting degree over 10 yr experience and make about 50/hour after taxes
Life isn’t fair!

asmileaday

Post Tue, Dec 14 2021, 4:14 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I just called an organizer today to help me (didn’t hire after heard the price!) she charges $250 an hour and $400 for a consult to come down 1st time and evaluate needs!!! This is Lakewood
I have accounting degree over 10 yr experience and make about 50/hour after taxes
Life isn’t fair!

So become an organizer. Or open your own accounting firm.
I've long since learned that there's no such a thing as easy money! Every job comes with its headaches and hard work.

To the op- just being home with a lot of babies all day is not something I'd do. It's a lot of work! I really don't know how my babysitter does it. When I'm home with 1 I can't get a single thing done. Imagine more than 1.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics