Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Is your area following the mask mandates?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 1:02 pm
I live in NY where there is a mask mandate. When I walk into the kosher supermarket it is very similar to pre-mandate. There are a few people wearing masks but easily 90%+ are not. What surprised me is that even in Target and other non jewish stores most people are ignoring the mandate and aren't masking. There's a sign when people walk in informing customers about the mandate- but no enforcement whatsoever. Same at various other non jewish stores. I guess people have had enough.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 1:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live in NY where there is a mask mandate. When I walk into the kosher supermarket it is very similar to pre-mandate. There are a few people wearing masks but easily 90%+ are not. What surprised me is that even in Target and other non jewish stores most people are ignoring the mandate and aren't masking. There's a sign when people walk in informing customers about the mandate- but no enforcement whatsoever. Same at various other non jewish stores. I guess people have had enough.

It doesnt look like most places are bothering with this but lots of people are still masking so it doesnt make sense to do it for a small minority of people especially now with inflation, prices going up and stores dont have the money to pay people to enforce the mask rules. But is there an executive order that Hochul signed or did she just do a press release/briefing and left it to individual counties to decide what to do (which most, if not all declined from doing)?

amother
Whitesmoke

I work in health care (not Covid-related). Masks are still mandated for everyone, including non-clinical office workers. Yes, people are compliant.

mha3484

In my area the big chain stores care and people mostly follow it. The frum owned businesses are a mix and my kids school could care less. My work place never cared. I basically only need a mask a few times a week. My husband goes to a lot more stores during the day so he has to deal with it more. We are in the midwest and there is an overall culture (not specific to jews) of being polite and following rules more I think.

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 1:32 pm
No mask mandate here. But signs about wearing masks if not vaxed or in high exposure areas, which is really vague. A lot of people wear masks. I'll wear one if I have to.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 1:49 pm
The area yes.

Those who are more RW in the frum community here (OOT) are less likely to be doing so, and they are also hiding COVID cases from folks. It's a painful topic for me as that was my community.

amother
Latte

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:13 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
The area yes.

Those who are more RW in the frum community here (OOT) are less likely to be doing so, and they are also hiding COVID cases from folks. It's a painful topic for me as that was my community.

They are shoving the dead bodies under their backyard trampolines.
Covid can get past 3 vaccines doses, but it cannot get past an Old Navy cloth mask.

There may be a teeny tiny chance that your community is in the right.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:13 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
They are shoving the dead bodies under their backyard trampolines.
Covid can get past 3 vaccines doses, but it cannot get past an Old Navy cloth mask.

There may be a teeny tiny chance that your community is in the right.

What?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:17 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
What?

I think that was in response to hiding the cases.
Yeah, there's a difference between cases and deaths.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:21 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I think that was in response to hiding the cases.
Yeah, there's a difference between cases and deaths.

The school, shul, and families are not informing all contacts when there have been cases. they are not having required quarantines happen and they are pretending to be following the rules (which is worse than just flagrantly admitting what they do or don't do), particularly unfairly to those who would want to know if folks have been sick or if they have been contacts.

It's subversive and hurtful.

Many of us feel abandoned by our community and disappointed by leadership. It's very painful to not only feel like the wrong decisions are being made, but also that you can't trust that people are telling the truth at your own shul.

finprof

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:23 pm
Latte: Tell us you're an anti-mask without telling us you're anti-mask! LOL.
People in my OOT community follow the mask mandate... but then again healthcare is the #1 employer in my community ...

naomi2

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:24 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
The school, shul, and families are not informing all contacts when there have been cases. they are not having required quarantines happen and they are pretending to be following the rules (which is worse than just flagrantly admitting what they do or don't do), particularly unfairly to those who would want to know if folks have been sick or if they have been contacts.

Many of us feel abandoned by our community and disappointed by leadership. It's very painful to not only feel like the wrong decisions are being made, but also that you can't trust that people are telling the truth at your own shul.

Vaccinate and wear a mask, that should protect you. Why do you feel abandoned?

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:26 pm
naomi2 wrote:
Vaccinate and wear a mask, that should protect you. Why do you feel abandoned?

People are lying about if they have covid or need to be in quarantine.

People are coming to shul sick even though the policy is advertised that folks with something contagious, coughs, etc. are supposed to stay at home.

People are encouraging children to also lie and encourage their peers to lie.

It's about way more than the masks.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:26 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:

It is disappointing. I know some mosdos, that had been extremely careful, are not at this point because of the toll they felt it took on the students. Though I don't think they're deliberating hiding cases, and are making sure people quarantine, etc.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:32 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
It is disappointing. I know some mosdos, that had been extremely careful, are not at this point because of the toll they felt it took on the students. Though I don't think they're deliberating hiding cases, and are making sure people quarantine, etc.

I only know the only school here, and they are making decisions without the DOH about who they think needs to be notified, and not everyone who should be notified is being notified. (Including me re: my kids)

Likewise the shul is picking and choosing who they tell about positive cases and not requiring folks to stay home, but also not telling people there are people who are supposed to be in quarantine, not wearing masks and present at shul so they can make their own decisions.

It's subversive and disheartening. And it's really messing my teens up. My teens are finding more and more of the RW world they grew up with to be rife with hypocrisy, and I don't have any good defenses here. They are leaning more Left religious, which is overall fine with me--so am I, but they are missing out on some things that I'd like them to be part of because things are getting disregarded due to "guilt" by association, so to speak.

It's hard for folks to figuratively not "throw out the baby with the bath water", and it's even harder for teens to make that distinction.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:33 pm
Amazing Savings in Brooklyn near Shoprite required it.

finprof

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 2:37 pm
I'm sorry Steel. We have the opposite problem. The day school does weekly PCR testing and has a test to stay program for all exposures, which is great. BUT our daycare (JCC) requires a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all unvaxed exposures so parents are forced to stay home!

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 3:00 pm
in riverdale the ice cream store that is kosher did not require the customers to wear it
in westchester 16 handles asked customers to wear one
in a kosher market in riverdale they allowed a dog to come in

naomi2

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 3:52 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
People are lying about if they have covid or need to be in quarantine.

People are coming to shul sick even though the policy is advertised that folks with something contagious, coughs, etc. are supposed to stay at home.

People are encouraging children to also lie and encourage their peers to lie.

It's about way more than the masks.

Ok I'll repeat myself,
Vaccinate and wear a mask. You shouldn't care if people are lying or not or be privy to their health conditions. if you are vaccinated and masking it should not affect you. Carry on.

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 3:53 pm
No, even the non Jewish places like post office and bank don't care. The workers wear masks but don't say anything if you're not.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics