Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Calling baby by decided name, before officially named?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:22 pm
I feel like it would be more problematic to do with a boy than a girl, just because not officially gets name at bris? But if you've thought of a name/know what ur gonna call baby, do you use the name before baby naming? Even when just talking to the baby? Or talking to dh about baby? Totally just curious. Wondering if we're specifically not supposed to?

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:24 pm
No, no , no.

Wait till the baby is named.

amother
Dimgray

Definitely not. Before bris, baby is "baby".

allthingsblue

No way

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:25 pm
So what do people do with the birth certificate? My OB recently told me that you have to fill in the legal name of the baby within 48 hours of the birth.

observer

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:27 pm
You fill it in but don't call the baby by that name.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:28 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
So what do people do with the birth certificate? My OB recently told me that you have to fill in the legal name of the baby within 48 hours of the birth.

We fill it out but don’t call the baby by the name.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:28 pm
We filled the birth certificate in properly but didn't tell anyone the name and Definitely didn't call baby the name

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:31 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:

With my first, they threatened that I couldn't leave the hospital without putting in a name. I finally put in Baby Boy and they let me go. (Note that thankfully the birth certificate people are smarter than them, and they sent me a certificate with the name blank, and instructions to get the name changed at some office.)

For my later kids they just sent the paperwork in after the bris.

I have heard of couples that put in the name they are planning before leaving the hospital, but then some of them change their minds... So if you ever meet a Meir Moshe Chaim whose legal name is Hillel Yonah, that might be why.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:33 pm
Our rav said we can fill out the birth certificate and just keep it to ourselves. We don't call the baby anything before they are named though. It usually takes me a few days after the bris to get used to their name anyway.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:34 pm
Complete the birth certificate but don’t call him by name.

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:35 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:

We asked for a religious extension and we had a week to do it.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:44 pm
If you don’t fill it out in the hospital it becomes a very big headache, and that was before corona times.
So we fill it out but we definitely do not call the baby by the name until after they are named.
I had a frum hospital roommate who kept calling her baby by the name they were going to give him and I found that very odd.

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2021, 11:46 pm
Good to know!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names