Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Anyone feel kids can't get serious covid?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 10:58 am
amother [ Heather ] wrote:
How are people even saying such a thing when we know vaccinated people also spread Covid? Can't Believe It

How do you not get it? Between Bob Dylan and me, we've sold 125 million records. Yo-Yo Ma and I both play string instruments. Regular coffee and decaf both contain caffeine. Horses and cars can both be used to travel. Tigers and housecats are both vicious predators.

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 10:59 am
When the people who are crying about how dangerous Covid is for children stop letting their kids ride in cars because of how dangerous that is, then I will listen. Until then, I think you're all full of it.

Cars have value. COVID doesn't.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 11:03 am
ora_43 wrote:
The kids who've been serious ill or died weren't "high risk" in that sense.

They had risk factors, like asthma or obesity. But come on, a 13-year-old who is 5'4" and 170 pounds is hardly medically fragile or on death's doorstep. We're talking about kids who would normally be expected to live long and indistinguishable-from-healthy lives.

Again, I'm not saying that it's likely for any child to die from covid. But describing the children who did die as so fragile that they would have died of just anything is simply not true. For the most part, these are not kids whose parents would have thought they had any special need to be cautious.

(and I don't get why this is even controversial... so many people saying the covid is no more dangerous for kids than the flu, ok, sure, nobody disputes that, do you deny that sometimes perfectly healthy kids die of the flu? like, why the need to deny that there's even the tiniest bit of risk davka with this virus?)

Someone who has asthma is high risk for Covid. My son has asthma the minute he got sick before the Covid results came back I was put on preventatives that included steroids and cause of this he was fine he had Covid and flu together. My question is and I had this from day one why aren’t preventatives given to most.

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 11:05 am
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
Cars have value. COVID doesn't.

What's that got to do with anything? Do you know how many more kids die in or are seriously harmed in car accidents than from Covid? If you want something to be scared of, auto travel makes more sense.

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 11:48 am
What's that got to do with anything? Do you know how many more kids die in or are seriously harmed in car accidents than from Covid? If you want something to be scared of, auto travel makes more sense.

It has a lot to do with the risk benefit analysis when there are no benefits to something.

Laiya

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 11:55 am
ora_43 wrote:
Presumably, it's easier to be anti-vax if you don't know anyone who's suffered serious harm due to the illness itself. If everyone you know who had covid had a mild case, then you don't see any need to get a vaccine for extra protection.

I doubt there's anyone living in a frum community in the NYC area who doesn't know at least a few people who were seriously ill or died from covid.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 12:31 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Presumably, it's easier to be anti-vax if you don't know anyone who's suffered serious harm due to the illness itself. If everyone you know who had covid had a mild case, then you don't see any need to get a vaccine for extra protection.

In my community everyone knows many, many people that died from Covid including close family members and majority of community is anti covid vax

for a few reasons

1 COVID from March 2020 is nowhere near COVID of today
2 We have yet to see that the vaccine helps
3 Most of us already had covid so we have antibodies

sky

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 12:36 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

1 COVID from March 2020 is nowhere near COVID of today
2 We have yet to see that the vaccine helps
3 Most of us already had covid so we have antibodies

I agree with what you said.
But not the last one.
I know sooooo many ppl with antibodies getting covid now. Many of my family and friends. All ages. Mostly ppl who had in the beginning.

fleetwood

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 1:16 pm
small bean wrote:
I think her point was that unfortunatley everyone can spread it. You can get it from your kids or your vaccinated coworker.

Right. My point was kids can spread it to vulnerable family members while feeling fine. I wasn't debating the vaxx.

fleetwood

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 1:19 pm
Yeah, you did. You asked how many got it from their UNVAXED kids. Not how many got it from their kids. Thus pointing to unvaxed kids as nasty little germ spreaders vs. vaxed kids who supposedly don't pose any risk. Perhaps that's not what you intended to say, but that was the message seen.

No. I mentioned it Bec until very recently kids couldn't vaxx..so majority of kids aren't vaxxed Bec they couldn't ...and alot of them spread covid.. including my own family members.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:24 pm
small bean wrote:
Its not that.

It is kids who are high risk are not higher risk from covid than a cold. They are always high risk and always need to take precautions every day of their lives. It cant be the publics job to protect them. Each person needs to asses their risks and decide what they can do. Covid doesnt change anything for these people.

Nope.

Many of these kids do perfectly fine with colds and are not usually high risk and do NOT need to take precautions every day of their lives. They live perfectly normal lives, maybe with a daily dose of medication, maybe with no daily medication but yes follow-up every few months.

They are NOT high risk for most illnesses and they ARE living perfectly normal lives. But COVID-19 is a big risk for them and fall into the high-risk group....for COVID-19.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We've had a few posters claim that some women on this site believe it's impossible for children to get a serious case of covid. I'm not sure if they're fear mongering, but I certainly think they are confused.

There's so much to disagree on. It's a shame that we have to debate something that we all actually agree on.

It is very very unlikely for a child to get serious covid. As per the CDC's data, only around 1/10 of 1% of covid deaths involve children 17 and under. Of course when it's your kid it means everything. Nobody is denying that. But it doesn't change that fact that children do better than everyone else with covid and are extremely unlikely to get a serious case. I don't think this is controversial.

I didn’t read all the responses but I am in the hospital with my 3 month old son for RSV the nurse here told me that there are my many kids with Covid. The symptoms are fever and low appetite and it leads to inflammation not so much respiratory…

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:49 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Nope.

Many of these kids do perfectly fine with colds and are not usually high risk and do NOT need to take precautions every day of their lives. They live perfectly normal lives, maybe with a daily dose of medication, maybe with no daily medication but yes follow-up every few months.

They are NOT high risk for most illnesses and they ARE living perfectly normal lives. But COVID-19 is a big risk for them and fall into the high-risk group....for COVID-19.

Do you have personal experience? I’m immunodeficient and an asthmatic. I have children with asthma. Colds, rsv, flu etc are JUST AS risky. I wouldn’t have even known my son had covid if not for me getting sick and testing the whole family. I was a lot sicker with the flu than with covid. I get asthma attacks and secondary bacterial lung infections with mild colds. Yes we live normal lives. We are careful to get prompt treatment when sick. Covid is no different.
ETA covid now is not the same as it was at the beginning

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:58 pm
I will say this: covid affects the body long term. Fever and cold and chills might last only a day or two but there are lingering affects. Sense of smell is one. Palpitations another. Memory loss. Tired becomes exhausted. And who knows what else they will discover. I used to believe in the vaccine. Now not so much. Since it doesnt seem to be working on NYC.

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 6:24 pm
gootlfriends wrote:
I will say this: covid affects the body long term. Fever and cold and chills might last only a day or two but there are lingering affects. Sense of smell is one. Palpitations another. Memory loss. Tired becomes exhausted. And who knows what else they will discover. I used to believe in the vaccine. Now not so much. Since it doesnt seem to be working on NYC.

Smell and taste loss isn’t really a symptom anymore. And there are easy treatments I know many ppl did that worked fast.

I have 2 family members with covid now. Age 65-75 category. One vaccinated. One previously recovered. Honestly their symptoms are almost identical. Similar fever and symptoms.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 6:27 pm
sky wrote:
I agree with what you said.
But not the last one.
I know sooooo many ppl with antibodies getting covid now. Many of my family and friends. All ages. Mostly ppl who had in the beginning.

Yes I know people getting it again as well, but not more than the vaxxer people.

Laiya

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 6:37 pm
gootlfriends wrote:

There's not a lot of information on this, but it seems the vast majority of people do not have any long term effects from covid.

mirelcakes

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 6:39 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Which is why it makes sense for the vaccine to be available for high risk children, but should not be mandated for healthy children.

Exactly!

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 6:43 pm
gootlfriends wrote:

The thing that people don’t realize is that many viruses can cause long term effects. Adult onset asthma can be caused by a respiratory virus or infection, chronic fatigue syndrome can be caused by a virus. We don’t hear about it because it’s nothing new. Covid was new and the effects were new. And I think that the older variants caused these long term effects more than the new ones do.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 6:46 pm
I know at the beginning the was a lot of concern that asthmatics would be high risk but a few months into it, BH it didn't seem to be the case. Does anyone know (I haven't checked) if that changed with Delta or Omicron?
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics