Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Anyone feel kids can't get serious covid?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 3:48 pm
Also

Vitamin D

Multiple studies show vitamin d is a tremendous protector against severe covid. Even more so then the vaccine.

If you are concerned about you or your child getting covid take a blood test to check vitamin d levels and take it if low.

It is something that is safe and multiple studies show it has tremendous affect in the outcome of covid.

small bean

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:02 pm
ora_43 wrote:
The kids who've been serious ill or died weren't "high risk" in that sense.

They had risk factors, like asthma or obesity. But come on, a 13-year-old who is 5'4" and 170 pounds is hardly medically fragile or on death's doorstep. We're talking about kids who would normally be expected to live long and indistinguishable-from-healthy lives.

Again, I'm not saying that it's likely for any child to die from covid. But describing the children who did die as so fragile that they would have died of just anything is simply not true. For the most part, these are not kids whose parents would have thought they had any special need to be cautious.

(and I don't get why this is even controversial... so many people saying the covid is no more dangerous for kids than the flu, ok, sure, nobody disputes that, do you deny that sometimes perfectly healthy kids die of the flu? like, why the need to deny that there's even the tiniest bit of risk davka with this virus?)

I wasnt referring to death because death ia so rare in kids.

I was referring to risk of a more serious covid and those with asthma, are just as risky with a cold or flu. Those that are immunocompromised any illness is dangerous for them.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 5:27 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Someone who has asthma is high risk for Covid. My son has asthma the minute he got sick before the Covid results came back I was put on preventatives that included steroids and cause of this he was fine he had Covid and flu together. My question is and I had this from day one why aren’t preventatives given to most.

Government is owned by Pharmaceutical Industry.

And Pharmaceutical Industry makes Billions $$$ on vaccine but pennies on generic
drugs like Ivermectin and HCQ.

So Pharma gets Government to suppress preventatives and therapeutics and push
that there is only the vaccine - and NOTHING else!

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 6:59 pm
Just heard from a dr that at this point everyone will get covid.
Anyone who is high risk should be vaccinated so will get a mild case.
We can all get it and have heard immunity and get it over with it.

(If the vaccine is just to get a mild case then vaccinating children doesn’t really prevent adults from getting it.
If the vaccine only lasts 10 weeks I don’t think continuously vaccinating ppl is the answer as scientists are saying there may be risks involved)

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 7:04 pm
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
Just heard from a dr that at this point everyone will get covid.
Anyone who is high risk should be vaccinated so will get a mild case.
We can all get it and have heard immunity and get it over with it.

(If the vaccine is just to get a mild case then vaccinating children doesn’t really prevent adults from getting it.
If the vaccine only lasts 10 weeks I don’t think continuously vaccinating ppl is the answer as scientists are saying there may be risks involved)
I'm sorry but doctors don't run the show.

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 7:11 pm
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
I'm sorry but doctors don't run the show.

He isn’t running any show. Just calming a freaked out community that it highly vaccinated and everyone is testing positive.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 9:17 pm
fleetwood wrote:
There is a vaxx mandate in Chicago/ Pittsburgh? Kids need to be vaxxed to go to school? Serious question...

I haven't read all the pages to see if this was answered so apologies if it's a repeat. There's no vaccine mandate in the public schools in Pittsburgh. However the JCC is mandating it for ages 5+ to participate in any activities there. And one of the three Jewish day schools (Community Day) has mandated covid vaccination for ages 5+. Comm Day is a reform/conservative day school. The school has lost at least two families as a result. The two Orthodox schools have not mandated this vaccine for staff or students.

mommyX2

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 9:39 pm
I didn't read through all the posts here but I want to point out the flu is much more dangerous for kids and I don't see a mask mandate For the flu or the push for flu vaccination like they have for covid. Makes no sense...

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, Dec 30 2021, 11:45 pm
mommyX2 wrote:
I didn't read through all the posts here but I want to point out the flu is much more dangerous for kids and I don't see a mask mandate For the flu or the push for flu vaccination like they have for covid. Makes no sense...

1. As every year, people are pushing for the flu vaccine. There are commercials for it everywhere.
2. A mask mandate for the flu would be redundant while there is one for COVID. It's the same mask. It works equally well against the flu when you don't announce its purpose.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 1:44 am
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
Also

Vitamin D

Multiple studies show vitamin d is a tremendous protector against severe covid. Even more so then the vaccine.

If you are concerned about you or your child getting covid take a blood test to check vitamin d levels and take it if low.

It is something that is safe and multiple studies show it has tremendous affect in the outcome of covid.

Source, please.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 1:45 am
mommyX2 wrote:

Flu doesn't invade your nervous system. And I haven't heard of people suffering infertility, heart damage, or cognitive and memory loss after flu.

Also flu vaccines can be given to babies six months and up.

Next.

amother
Hyssop

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 1:48 am
Vitamin D deficiency is very common and impedes your ability to fight viruses. That's not the same thing as Vitamin D being a protector against the virus.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 1:50 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Do you have personal experience? I’m immunodeficient and an asthmatic. I have children with asthma. Colds, rsv, flu etc are JUST AS risky. I wouldn’t have even known my son had covid if not for me getting sick and testing the whole family. I was a lot sicker with the flu than with covid. I get asthma attacks and secondary bacterial lung infections with mild colds. Yes we live normal lives. We are careful to get prompt treatment when sick. Covid is no different.
ETA covid now is not the same as it was at the beginning

I'm not talking about immunodeficient people. I'm not talking about people with asthma (which is unique among the chronic issues healthy kids sometimes have, because of how obvious it is re covid risk).

I'm talking about the millions of other kids with hidden issues that you would not know about, the millions of kids who take medications or who have follow-ups every few months, who live with a "pre-existing condition" that really doesn't affect their lives much - not in quality and not in life expectancy.

Asthma usually falls into that category but with covid asthma was right up there considered a risk factor even in the eyes of the dumbest, right from the start of the pandemic.

I'm talking about all the other hidden illnesses. Stuff that doesn't raise a child's risk when it comes to cold, flu, etc. - stuff that those other diagnoses don't really affect.

Those kids. They number in the millions. And they are invisible to everyone despite the high risk that covid - uniquely - presents to them.

amother
Caramel

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 4:16 am
The children who are at risk should be vaccinated against covid.
In regard to asthma, I have a child with asthma and another compromised lung condition which we recently corrected BH. Until recently, good oxygen for him meant 92 and I didnt even take him to the hospital unless it went below 80. He had chronic pneumonia and lung scarring from it. He had covid with no problem. He becomes much sicker from a regular cold or ch"v the flu. His top pulmologist told me that according to what they are seeing in their practice (big Manhattan practice) I shouldn't worry about the effects of covid on my child.
This child is under 5 otherwise I would still vaccinate him. My pulmologist said he did not see the benefit in me vaccinating my other children against covid since they already had it and the protection they will offer the asthmatic one is so small not to mention he will be exposed anyway from cheder.
Obviously ask your own doctor, but I'm sharing what mine told me.

Children with other conditions may be at greater risk from covid though.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 4:17 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Flu doesn't invade your nervous system. And I haven't heard of people suffering infertility, heart damage, or cognitive and memory loss after flu.

Also flu vaccines can be given to babies six months and up.

Next.

Never heard of any of that happening to kids from covid, either.

Although plenty of evidence the vaccine does that to kids.

And nobody ever mandated the flu vaccine or masks for kids for the flu to go into restaurants or stores.

And the flu vaccine certainly doesn't carry that type of risk for anyone.

small bean

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 4:23 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I'm not talking about immunodeficient people. I'm not talking about people with asthma (which is unique among the chronic issues healthy kids sometimes have, because of how obvious it is re covid risk).

I'm talking about the millions of other kids with hidden issues that you would not know about, the millions of kids who take medications or who have follow-ups every few months, who live with a "pre-existing condition" that really doesn't affect their lives much - not in quality and not in life expectancy.

Asthma usually falls into that category but with covid asthma was right up there considered a risk factor even in the eyes of the dumbest, right from the start of the pandemic.

I'm talking about all the other hidden illnesses. Stuff that doesn't raise a child's risk when it comes to cold, flu, etc. - stuff that those other diagnoses don't really affect.

Those kids. They number in the millions. And they are invisible to everyone despite the high risk that covid - uniquely - presents to them.

Give an example of high risk to covid but not the flu?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 5:09 am
Before covid, masks for flu were discussed and shown to not be effective and therefore not put into practice.

In NY, flu vaccine is a mandate for preschoolers actually.

Thank you Caramel for posting your experience with the supposed risks of covid in asthmatic children. BH it doesn't seem to be the concern we thought it may be. May your children stay healthy from all diseases!

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 5:15 am
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
Vitamin D deficiency is very common and impedes your ability to fight viruses. That's not the same thing as Vitamin D being a protector against the virus.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34684596/

COVID-19 Mortality Risk Correlates Inversely with Vitamin D3 Status, and a Mortality Rate Close to Zero Could Theoretically Be Achieved at 50 ng/mL 25(OH)D3: Results of a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34607398/

The D-CIMA meta-analysis showed that individuals with low serum vitamin D levels were 1.64 times (95% confidence interval [CI], 1.32 to 2.04; p<0.001) more likely to contract COVID-19. The D-CSMA meta-analysis showed that people with serum 25(OH)D levels below 20 ng/mL or 50 nmol/L were 2.42 times (95% CI, 1.13 to 5.18; p=0.022) more likely to have severe COVID-19. The D-CMMA meta-analysis showed that low vitamin D levels had no effect on COVID-19 mortality (OR, 1.64; 95% CI, 0.53 to 5.06, p=0.390).

Conclusions: According to our results, vitamin D deficiency may increase the risk of COVID-19 infection and the likelihood of severe disease. Therefore, we recommend vitamin D supplementation to prevent COVID-19 and its negative outcomes.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Dec 31 2021, 7:46 am
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
The children who are at risk should be vaccinated against covid.
In regard to asthma, I have a child with asthma and another compromised lung condition which we recently corrected BH. Until recently, good oxygen for him meant 92 and I didnt even take him to the hospital unless it went below 80. He had chronic pneumonia and lung scarring from it. He had covid with no problem. He becomes much sicker from a regular cold or ch"v the flu. His top pulmologist told me that according to what they are seeing in their practice (big Manhattan practice) I shouldn't worry about the effects of covid on my child.
This child is under 5 otherwise I would still vaccinate him. My pulmologist said he did not see the benefit in me vaccinating my other children against covid since they already had it and the protection they will offer the asthmatic one is so small not to mention he will be exposed anyway from cheder.
Obviously ask your own doctor, but I'm sharing what mine told me.

Children with other conditions may be at greater risk from covid though.

Off topic here, but does your child have bronchiectasis?

Ps, just adding that for my child with chronic health issues- pulm said he’s more concerned for flu and rhino/entero. (This was in September. My child had Covid in March 2020 too).

I think a lot of the fear out there is because of the unknown long term effects of Covid. My child had Covid twice and while the first time did really bad respiratory wise, the second time it was more of a simple cold (though it’s most likely rather related to the improvement in my child’s overall condition and treatment currently receiving because dc had no antibodies and was on a Tcell repressor drug right before Covid#1).

But, both times we had a long recovery with weeks/months of fever and other random issues and secondary bacterial infections that were really tough. I have not seen this happen with other viruses. Can still be coincidental, but it still concerns me.

That said I was pretty concerned about my child getting sick with the flu.

Also, somewhere between my child having Covid, the flu and an older strain of corona virus my child had a mild myocarditis and somewhere along that time developed a heart valve issue. So I don’t know which virus caused it, and I’m honestly weary (eta I meant wary. But weary is exactly what I am of all this...)
of all and get very upset when parents send sick kids to school and people are so cavalier about spreading infections...

amother
Diamond

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 9:00 pm
It really seems live covid dec 2021 is so diff then covid 2020.
Studies show it doesn’t attack the lungs the same. It doesn’t cause the same scarring in the lungs. The risk is much lower.
Even if ppl have stories in past about severe covid was in their child I think we have to look at the current situation in a completely diff light.
It seems like a diff virus with same name.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics