Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Second hand car help
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 12:55 am
I’m looking to iyH buy a second hand car that can seat 7 or 8. Basically a minivan. Can pay max 6.5k, but that can change if we get more desperate. I don’t need it this second either, more like within the next couple of months. Craigslist where I live has a bunch of options, but I don’t know these things at all.
With my price range-
What companies and mileage should I definitely not even look at? What year should I not look below?
Any advice?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 12:56 am
Used cars are very hard to get right now and very expensive right now. Good luck.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 12:58 am
That’s what I heard but I saw many options on Craigslist so What

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 1:08 am
Take the car to a mechanic you trust to get it checked over before you buy. And check the make and model on consumer reports or a similar site to see the reviews. For example Toyota cars are usually really reliable but there are certain years for each model you should avoid because they don’t hold up the same as the others. Also ask for the carfax for the car.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 1:16 am
Whatever you do, get what you want to buy checked out by a mechanic you trust before you buy it. I am an old car driver but I also am aware that when you buy a car that is used you run risk.

I have a friend who recently spent 10k on a van that died within a month. I work with Kars4kids and I hear the fallout when old cars go wrong. If I had a dime for every time I hear that someone spent 2 k fixing a car only to hear something catastrophic happen shortly after, I’d be rich.

Here are my personal impressions.

Don’t buy a hybrid
The sum of the repairs is NOT greater than the whole ( it does not matter what you spend to repair the car, it’s still not worth that.

Don’t buy a dodge caravan
Even cars with low mileage can have big issues.

I just ordered a new car because the prices of used we’re actually higher. They are higher bc new cars are taking so long to fulfill orders for. Ppl who CAnt wait buy them up and pay premium.

I don’t think there’s an easy answer to this. The paradigm has completely shifted. Used to be new cars would deprecate as soon as they drive off the lot. Now they appreciate.

My next door neighbour just fixed a truck as a project and spent about 5 k and his Own labour. He thought it would be worth 10 k but had it assessed at 35k in its current condition. No logic to the market at all.

Honda and Toyota retain resale value better than some other brands and trucks really retain value, which probably won’t help you.

We bought a Hyundai Tucson bc we have always been happy with Hyundai. Our current accent is from 2008 and even in Canada, no garage it’s holding up. We’ve spent relatively little on repairs over the years. It owes us nothing.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Sun, Jan 02 2022, 1:22 am; edited 2 times in total

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 1:18 am
Duplicate

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 1:20 am
andrea levy wrote:
I just ordered a new car because the prices of used we’re actually higher. They are higher bc new cars are taking so long to fulfill orders for. Ppl who CAnt wait buy them up and pay premium.

I don’t think there’s an easy answer to this. The paradigm has completely shifted. Used to be new cars would deprecate as soon as they drive off the lot. Now they appreciate.

That’s what I’m seeing. In the past I always bought used but I’ve been looking for several months and I think I will need to take a loan and buy new. For now we are managing on just one car.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 1:24 am
Interesting thank you
Any other ideas of when I’m doing research?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 1:24 am
amother [ Mocha ] wrote:
That’s what I’m seeing. In the past I always bought used but I’ve been looking for several months and I think I will need to take a loan and buy new. For now we are managing on just one car.

My parents are also doing this. They never bought new cars in the past thirty years. It’s insane.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 1:26 am
amother [ Mocha ] wrote:

Why though? I’m seeing plenty of second hand

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 1:45 am
Consumer reports has car buying guides which offer recommendations for which cars to buy for each year.

Edmunds has a very good website where you can learn what is going rate for cars in your location.

Other posters have indicated the practical steps to take and having a car checked by a trustworthy mechanic is critical. Or you can buy a certified used car from a dealer but you pay for that warranty.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 9:24 am
There are many scammers on Craigslist - be careful! And if something seems too good to be true, it almost certainly is!!

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 9:41 am
Check the BlueBook value to see what you could reasonably get in your price range. Don’t expect a better deal than what they show.
Make sure the car has a Carfax with a good service history.
Check US News or Consumer Reports for reviews of particular models and years. Don’t buy anything with major issues known for that year.
Toyota and Honda tend to be very reliable and can last for more miles than other cars. The year you should get will depend on budget and reliability ratings.
ETA: If you buy via Craigslist make sure you get a Carfax report (or buy one yourself using the VIN), and have a mechanic check the car. Test every car function when you test drive, I would come with a checklist.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 9:51 am
I see that someone else already shared this, but adding to confirm. There are many, many scams on craigslist. Even pre-pandemic, we had trouble finding any legitimate car listings on craigslist. They were all scams.

Try CarGurus.

I found an old Sienna in that price range, and we were very happy with it for many years. However, you might have a hard time with that budget in the current market.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 10:00 am
Agree with everyone who said the above Toyota or Honda is the way to go for buying a used minivan we own a 2007 sienna bought for 8k under 100k miles like new cargurus from a trusted dealer. 130k miles is still like new for those brands. Toyota slightly better than Honda Check accident reports. And best if its being sold by first driver only not reselling from the second or third driver but if second or third driver then price shd be lower.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 10:03 am
Also be aware by a specific mile number I’m not sure - maybe 80k miles then u have to start repairing a few things every year to upkeep it. Still cheaper than leasing or financing but today’s current market be careful if they make u spend too much for car that has over 100k miles and then having to put in so much more money to replace everything

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 10:44 am
amother [ Trillium ] wrote:
Check the BlueBook value to see what you could reasonably get in your price range. Don’t expect a better deal than what they show.
Make sure the car has a Carfax with a good service history.
Check US News or Consumer Reports for reviews of particular models and years. Don’t buy anything with major issues known for that year.
Toyota and Honda tend to be very reliable and can last for more miles than other cars. The year you should get will depend on budget and reliability ratings.
ETA: If you buy via Craigslist make sure you get a Carfax report (or buy one yourself using the VIN), and have a mechanic check the car. Test every car function when you test drive, I would come with a checklist.

I caution you to using blue book value. Make sure you understand exactly what shape the car is in.

ALSO******VERY IMPORTANT

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOU HAve A CLEAN, TRANSFERABLE TITLE!!!!

I strongly suggest having a trusted mechanic look it over AND taking the title to the DMV or AAA TO ENSURE ITS good. You can take the seller with you.

Know what you’re doing when it’s signed too because of the seller signs the wrong place or you do, the title will be ruined.

If the title has a lien holder, make sure you have the lien release also or at least ask the person to put the title in their name for a clean transfer.

Make sure the car has no fees owing to the DMV ( in addition to any liens. Depending on the state, you might end up responsible for the fees or being unable to register the car in your name.

Honestly, you cannot be too careful.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 10:46 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Agree with everyone who said the above Toyota or Honda is the way to go for buying a used minivan we own a 2007 sienna bought for 8k under 100k miles like new cargurus from a trusted dealer. 130k miles is still like new for those brands. Toyota slightly better than Honda Check accident reports. And best if its being sold by first driver only not reselling from the second or third driver but if second or third driver then price shd be lower.

Trusted DEALER, yes! Not some guy in Craig’s list.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 10:51 am
Maybe I'm the exception but I did very well on Craigslist. Small oot city, nice guy who was moving to Texas and needed to get rid of his car. I'm not sure I would use Craigslist in NYC though.

ysydmom

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 11:15 am
We always buy second hand but first we take car to our mechanic to get checked out. Look for low mileage and also check for a phone number on Craigslist if there is no phone number probably a scam. I would not pay until you take to mechanic. Also ask your mechanic a lot of times they sell second hand cars and they know the cars they fix so it might be a better deal for you. With used it's always hit or miss and you never know it's a bit of a gamble. Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics