Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How often do you air out your house?
1  2  Next

wife2

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 3:05 pm
I know you're supposed to do it daily to let out carbon dioxide and stale air and other bad quality air and get fresh air. But in the winter opening all the windows is so cold. Do you air out your house every day? Is it bad to breathe in lower air quality and do this less frequently?

watergirl

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 3:24 pm
I’ve literally only done this once - when our CO detector went off and the fire department came and said we had to until their device said the house was safe (and then we got a new oven because that was the culprit). I certainly do not do it daily. Not weekly or monthly either.

Rubies

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 3:25 pm
Daily.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 3:27 pm
Im in Israel, where mold loves to grow where it is damp, so I open windows in rooms Im not in every single day. Not an option not to. I leave my kitchen window open a little more than a crack all year round. It doesnt matter whats happening outside.
I thankfully have never had any mold issues and I know that it is because we keep the windows open, even if just a little bit, every single day.

Genius

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 3:38 pm
Whenever the weather is nice, not too hot or cold.
I assume you open the door to come and go so the air isn’t exactly trapped.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 3:42 pm
Wait... WHAT?

hellokitty

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 3:44 pm
it hasn't been above 0°F in days and I think there's a snow drift in front of my window. So, not as often as I wish I could. I do have a second air purifier if it is feeling stale, and we keep some green plants which helps!

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 3:46 pm
Do people not open the windows???

In APARTMENTS?

How do you breathe?!

shyner

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 3:52 pm
I feel claustrophobic if the windows are closed, so there is always at least one window open here besides for when I get extremely closed then I'll close it until I feel stuffy again.

shyner

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 3:59 pm
sequoia wrote:

In APARTMENTS?

How do you breathe?!

This is exactly my question here

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:14 pm
IDK about "airing the house out" but most days I open windows at least a few inches, unless it's so bitter cold or wildly stormy that opening a window would be dangerous or dreadfully unpleasant. And on mild days I open all the windows as far as they'll go.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:17 pm
sequoia wrote:

In APARTMENTS?

How do you breathe?!

My mother never opens windows, ever. She has central heating and central air. She also never opens her blinds. She’s nearly 90, lives ten miles from industrial areas, and perfectly healthy.

While I always have windows open (the why should be obvious) I don’t believe there is any rule or law or specific health benefit to airing out your house.

cupcake123

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:20 pm
Guys! I never heard of this. I live I'm NJ its always cold or hot. For the 2 months that's its gorgeous I'll sometimes have the windows open but never knew it's a must. I always open shades though bec I love the natural sunlight

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:22 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
Guys! I never heard of this. I live I'm NJ its always cold or hot. For the 2 months that's its gorgeous I'll sometimes have the windows open but never knew it's a must. I always open shades though bec I love the natural sunlight

That is so insane for me. If you told me you had three green hearts I’d be less surprised.

cupcake123

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:23 pm
sequoia wrote:
That is so insane for me. If you told me you had three green hearts I’d be less surprised.

Currently opening windows 😳

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:27 pm
sequoia wrote:
What about this is so insane? I also grew up in NJ and we didnt open windows in the winter. It was just too cold. I never heard of such a thing before I came to israel. There was no damp growing up in NJ, so there was nothing to really air out.

applesbananas

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:32 pm
cupcake123 wrote:

Nothing wrong with not airing out a house that’s a few thousand sq ft. It’s never claustrophobic bh and bh I have a busy home and everyone comes and goes so the door is open plenty. It’s not like a building where the doors opens to an indoor space ..

glamourmom

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:34 pm
I open windows when I feel the house is stuffy or hot or I cooked a lot.
does opening windows in winter when it's cold out kill germs?

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:34 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
What about this is so insane? I also grew up in NJ and we didnt open windows in the winter. It was just too cold. I never heard of such a thing before I came to israel. There was no damp growing up in NJ, so there was nothing to really air out.

No damp in NJ, a coastal area?

You are mistaken.

There’s no damp in Arizona.

Coastal areas are damp climates.

It’s not just that, though — it’s that fresh air is necessary.

This is really enlightening. One time it was like minus 20 in Chicago and my mom’s landlord was calling every tenant, asking if they’re okay. When he called us, he said, “You’re Ukrainian, so you probably have the windows open.” We were like... yeah... so?

This thread made me realize Americans actually don’t open windows in their home.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 02 2022, 4:39 pm
sequoia wrote:
No damp in NJ, a coastal area?

You are mistaken.

There’s no damp in Arizona.

Coastal areas are damp climates.

It’s not just that, though — it’s that fresh air is necessary.

This is really enlightening. One time it was like minus 20 in Chicago and my mom’s landlord was calling every tenant, asking if they’re okay. When he called us, he said, “You’re Ukrainian, so you probably have the windows open.” We were like... yeah... so?

This thread made me realize Americans actually don’t open windows in their home.
I didnt live near the coast Smile
I was in a different part of NJ, not near water at all. No damp. Maybe in atlantic city and the like, but not where I grew up.
And yes, I do believe that americans as a whole dont know abotu opening their windows. Im sure there are some that obviously do, but I had never heard of this airing out the house thing. In Israel, I learned about it early on when we had an insane mold issue in one apartment I lived in.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics