Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Can I send a child away for shabbos if I have covid
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 12:48 pm
I have covid and am feeling awful. I really need a peaceful quiet shabbos to recuperate. I have a preschooler who's a noisy handful (but behaves beautifully out of the house). I'm wondering if its a terrible idea to ask a relative or friend to host her for shabbos? I really am not up to date on what the current protocol is regarding family members who are otherwise healthy. Is it a chutzpah or danger to ask?

amother
Electricblue

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 12:55 pm
Just be completely transparent about the fact that you have covid and have not been isolating from your child. If they say yes anyway then make sure to send along whatever Tylenol or Motrin you usually give along with instructions in case he gets sick over shabbos.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 1:48 pm
In addition to the above, be prepared to reciprocate in the next week or so. If you think that would be impossible, consider not sending your child out.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 1:53 pm
It is a lot to ask . I would never say yes unless it was an emergency like if you were hospitalized. Why can’t your husband watch the kid?
You can try finding someone who doesn’t care about Covid or recently had it

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 1:56 pm
So you are asking some to bring Covid into their house?
I guess it’s fine because Covid is not a big deal.
Oh, but wait, you feel awful, and clearly you are generally young and healthy.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 2:08 pm
Are you thinking to send to someone where every single one in the family recently had it already?

amother
Electricblue

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 2:23 pm
Just adding that maybe people would be more comfortable if you did a rapid test on Friday to make sure he's not already positive.

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 3:06 pm
I understand the question completely.

Find ppl who have had covid recently. Shouldn't be too hard. Refuah shelaima

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 3:12 pm
amother [ Daffodil ] wrote:
I understand the question completely.

Find ppl who have had covid recently. Shouldn't be too hard. Refuah shelaima

I had this. I had Covid now (fully vaxxed) and while it wasn't terrible it wasn't fun either. My friend who just had Covid took care of my two little ones. God bless her.

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 3:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have covid and am feeling awful. I really need a peaceful quiet shabbos to recuperate. I have a preschooler who's a noisy handful (but behaves beautifully out of the house). I'm wondering if its a terrible idea to ask a relative or friend to host her for shabbos? I really am not up to date on what the current protocol is regarding family members who are otherwise healthy. Is it a chutzpah or danger to ask?

Total chutzpah! You really don’t care to take a chance that the dc might pass it along to others? Kids don’t always show symptoms!

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 3:18 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
So you are asking some to bring Covid into their house?
I guess it’s fine because Covid is not a big deal.
Oh, but wait, you feel awful, and clearly you are generally young and healthy.

No need to be so snarky.
OP, if you are totally honest and they are fine with it then go for it.

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 3:19 pm
amother [ Electricblue ] wrote:
Just adding that maybe people would be more comfortable if you did a rapid test on Friday to make sure he's not already positive.

Rapid negatives are not reliable. Known fact. The child shouldn’t go. Period,

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 3:58 pm
The family doesn't need to isolate if a family member has covid. Sending away a child for shabbos is no different then kids going to school, men to shul.... It's a reasonable thing to ask as long as you're honest.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 3:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's not a chutzpah to ask, but expect that people might say no

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 3:59 pm
amother [ Bluebell ] wrote:
No need to be so snarky.
OP, if you are totally honest and they are fine with it then go for it.

This. If someone's making the choice to let a covid-exposed kid into their house then that is completely their decision (I personally might not think it's smart but that's not the question being asked)

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 4:03 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
This. If someone's making the choice to let a covid-exposed kid into their house then that is completely their decision (I personally might not think it's smart but that's not the question being asked)

Right. Since I was exposed many times I would totally take your child. I have no fear of this virus....

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 4:06 pm
amother [ Camellia ] wrote:
Total chutzpah! You really don’t care to take a chance that the dc might pass it along to others? Kids don’t always show symptoms!

I hope you know that you and your family are exposed to covid every time you go anywhere.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 4:15 pm
In my nephews school they allow a student to come to class even if the parent has covid.. I don’t agree but it is what it is and most schools are the same so what’s the difference of hosting a child

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 4:24 pm
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
The family doesn't need to isolate if a family member has covid. Sending away a child for shabbos is no different then kids going to school, men to shul.... It's a reasonable thing to ask as long as you're honest.

It's not quite the same. When you or your child go to any public place be it school, shul or shopping, you know you're taking a chance of being exposed. And you have the choice of taking proper precautions or not. Sending a child who is exposed to Covid into someone's home, is a bit different. Like you said, being honest about it is the way to do it.

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 4:24 pm
Can’t we stay respectful without making this about our own agenda ? If you think she can , say yes. If you think she shouldn’t , say no …

No.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics