Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
RIE on tummy time

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:08 pm
I've read several articles where RIE (resources for infant educators) says that tummy time isn't good for a child. I don't exactly understand it.
Can somebody explain it?
I'm not sure what to do with my baby. He hates tummy time, but the dr.'s and physical therapist recommend it strongly especially because he developed a flat head.
Do RIE babies not have flat heads? Also does RIE encourage sleeping on back too until child is able to roll over on his own?

I'm not practicing RIE but have been looking into different methodologies and was curious about the tummy time part, thinking if my baby actually needs it.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:12 pm
The idea is that newborns are more comfortable on their backs and so it is respectful to put them on their back to play and let them work out how to roll on their own timeline.

It sounds nice, and usually I subscribe to RIE ideas, but in this case I am not sure it works for all babies. My first baby never rolled in babyhood. If you let the baby sleep on their tummy it would still protect against flathead--not sure RIE really has any comments about safe sleep.

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:15 pm
I am not familiar with RIE at all but there is a concept of pillows for babies that avoid flat head by making an indentation in the middle. Not sure if thats what they use to prevent it.
This concept makes me feel less guilty with not doing tummy time as much as I should lol

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:47 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
The idea is that newborns are more comfortable on their backs and so it is respectful to put them on their back to play and let them work out how to roll on their own timeline.

It sounds nice, and usually I subscribe to RIE ideas, but in this case I am not sure it works for all babies. My first baby never rolled in babyhood. If you let the baby sleep on their tummy it would still protect against flathead--not sure RIE really has any comments about safe sleep.

ok interesting thank you!
right my question re - sleeping was because my baby sleeps on his stomach (only as of 3 months old) so I wonder if their theory is that sleeping on stomach is also disrespectful or it's only for playing. But he already had developed a flat head from the back sleeping early on.

And this is what I wonder - if it actually works that they do it in their own timeline and figure things out. Or it's just a nice theory but in practice it puts them at a developmental disadvantage.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:48 pm
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
I am not familiar with RIE at all but there is a concept of pillows for babies that avoid flat head by making an indentation in the middle. Not sure if thats what they use to prevent it.
This concept makes me feel less guilty with not doing tummy time as much as I should lol

lol, I'm with you I'm mainly trying to see if there's merit to this idea so I can feel less guilty doing it less, because it's very hard for me.

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:53 pm
Idk about rie, but I'm a pediatric occupational therapist and can tell u from first hand experience how insanely insanely important tummy time is. Kids never like it n so many mothers don't give it but honestly try as much as u cud even for 3 minutes at a time (time it Smile) or on a boppy pillow or on u. Even if kid cries and puts head down to rest they are still working on their head and neck and shoulder n core muscles the whole time!!! It will positively affect development if u r into doing it n u will ptobobly even see that this child reaches milestons faster!!! Ik as a mom how hard it is to do but don't give up! I'm not a whole preachy therapist honestly and I'm very into like do wat works don't make urself nuts but I'm so passionate abt this cuz I see what a diff it makes when they do and unfortunately how bad it can be when child doesn't get much tummy time! Best of luck to u!!

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:54 pm
I've never heard of RIE but my baby hated tummy time - just screamed and screamed almost every time I tried, so I really didn't do it that often - I did do it, for very short time periods, but nowhere near as much as recommended (he didn't have a flat head though, if he did that probably would've made me more motivated to try).

Regarding if keeping them on their back more slows development - my baby was crawling by 5.5 months, so I think not! As soon as he started rolling over he was on his front much more, because I simply couldn't go and "rescue" him from his front every single time. At first he screamed, then he just dealt with it and moved on.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 3:57 pm
Never heard of newborns being more comfortable on their backs. Nature intended for them to be on their stomachs, it’s so obvious anatomically and physiologically. It’s possible that if they are put on their backs from da6 1, they end up being uncomfortable on their stomachs. Babies that are uncomfortable on their stomachs should be evaluated for tongue ties. It causes facial tension that is exacerbated when they have to use their stomach muscles.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 4:01 pm
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:
Never heard of newborns being more comfortable on their backs. Nature intended for them to be on their stomachs, it’s so obvious anatomically and physiologically. It’s possible that if they are put on their backs from da6 1, they end up being uncomfortable on their stomachs. Babies that are uncomfortable on their stomachs should be evaluated for tongue ties. It causes facial tension that is exacerbated when they have to use their stomach muscles.

the difference is you are referring to sleeping. A baby feels more safe and secure on the stomach. But when they are awake they like to look around and being on their stomach is hard for them because they need to use energy to pick up their head and see things.

I feel like it's so intertwined these 2 things. The recommendation for tummy time came after the whole back to sleep campaign because they were noticing the ill effects of sleeping on the back. When a baby is on the stomach it automatically has "tummy time" during the times it wakes up etc.

So yes putting them on their backs for sleeping exacerbates this problem because they're so used to being on their back even for sleep that putting them for play is extra hard.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 4:02 pm
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
Idk about rie, but I'm a pediatric occupational therapist and can tell u from first hand experience how insanely insanely important tummy time is. Kids never like it n so many mothers don't give it but honestly try as much as u cud even for 3 minutes at a time (time it Smile) or on a boppy pillow or on u. Even if kid cries and puts head down to rest they are still working on their head and neck and shoulder n core muscles the whole time!!! It will positively affect development if u r into doing it n u will ptobobly even see that this child reaches milestons faster!!! Ik as a mom how hard it is to do but don't give up! I'm not a whole preachy therapist honestly and I'm very into like do wat works don't make urself nuts but I'm so passionate abt this cuz I see what a diff it makes when they do and unfortunately how bad it can be when child doesn't get much tummy time! Best of luck to u!!

do you see this also with infants that are tummy sleepers that they are effected without the tummy time?

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 4:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
ok interesting thank you!
right my question re - sleeping was because my baby sleeps on his stomach (only as of 3 months old) so I wonder if their theory is that sleeping on stomach is also disrespectful or it's only for playing. But he already had developed a flat head from the back sleeping early on.

And this is what I wonder - if it actually works that they do it in their own timeline and figure things out. Or it's just a nice theory but in practice it puts them at a developmental disadvantage.

Possibly option A but for some babies, option B and also you have to go all in for it to work.
I did strict rie with my second baby. Including zero container time. However I learned more about the neurodevelopment and did the opposite, belly down toes out 24/7 with my 3rd baby.
I wrote a post about the RIE experiment here
https://www.instagram.com/p/CB....._link

And this article helped change my mind
https://www.candokiddo.com/new.....-mean

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 4:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
the difference is you are referring to sleeping. A baby feels more safe and secure on the stomach. But when they are awake they like to look around and being on their stomach is hard for them because they need to use energy to pick up their head and see things.

I feel like it's so intertwined these 2 things. The recommendation for tummy time came after the whole back to sleep campaign because they were noticing the ill effects of sleeping on the back. When a baby is on the stomach it automatically has "tummy time" during the times it wakes up etc.

So yes putting them on their backs for sleeping exacerbates this problem because they're so used to being on their back even for sleep that putting them for play is extra hard.
I think developmentally when they’re ready to explore they are also ready to turn over. Until then they are perfectly content being pressed against their mothers chest. Messing with nature is what messes with development .

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 4:08 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Possibly option A but for some babies, option B and also you have to go all in for it to work.
I did strict rie with my second baby. Including zero container time. However I learned more about the neurodevelopment and did the opposite, belly down toes out 24/7 with my 3rd baby.
I wrote a post about the RIE experiment here
https://www.instagram.com/p/CB....._link

And this article helped change my mind
https://www.candokiddo.com/new.....-mean

was hoping you'd chime in Wink
I find it fascinating that you went from strict RIE to the opposite.
I'm gonna take a look at your links.

Does RIE have an opinion regarding sleeping?
Did your second child sleep on his tummy?
I think that really makes a key difference.

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
was hoping you'd chime in Wink
I find it fascinating that you went from strict RIE to the opposite.
I'm gonna take a look at your links.

Does RIE have an opinion regarding sleeping?
Did your second child sleep on his tummy?
I think that really makes a key difference.

Ha you could always just message me, I'm an open book
Rie on sleep is pretty outdated and la la land as is Montessori. I much prefer attachment sleep. Rie is intuitive but it doesn't get everything right...
I actually had him on his back most of the time (at least from pics) although I'm not opposed to stomach sleeping so possibly that happened too, I just can't remember. My 3rd baby for sure slept on his stomach

honey36

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 6:45 pm
Look in to the tummy time method by Michelle emanuel. She claims there's no crying involved

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 6:55 pm
Hating tummy time and flat head is often connected to reflux, tongue ties, and torticollis. I would get it checked out....

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:28 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Ha you could always just message me, I'm an open book
Rie on sleep is pretty outdated and la la land as is Montessori. I much prefer attachment sleep. Rie is intuitive but it doesn't get everything right...
I actually had him on his back most of the time (at least from pics) although I'm not opposed to stomach sleeping so possibly that happened too, I just can't remember. My 3rd baby for sure slept on his stomach

So I'm curious... I read your link to the instagram, and I'm wondering if you found it worked for your second child the RIE of no tummy time, what made you do differently for your 3rd?

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 12:43 pm
Pediatric PT here. Start with tummy time with baby lying on her belly on your belly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics