Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Need ideas of suppers very traditional heimish type
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 11:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Okay so I’m yeshivish but serve my family American style suppers not heimish. But I have people coming to stay that are traditional heimish type eaters. Would love menu plans for what to serve. I hear this family starts every supper with soup, is that a must? How many courses are they going to be used to for weeknight suppers?? Looking for easy quick recipes that my kids will like too. Thanks!

Forgive my ignorance. Doesn't heimish mean homey or home-style? Wouldn't anything cooked from scratch in a home therefore be heimish by definition? I'm very confused. Please someone explain.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 5:26 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
OP- you can make 4 different types of soup in big batches and freeze
1. This leaves the main dish and dessert
Dessert is store bought and/or pre-cut fruit

I do not know how many days you will host for
2. Plus things like tacos or chili will be totally acceptable if the meal starts with soup and ends with dessert

This is my opinion

Oh and if they are older they may not eat that much

1. Pre cut fruit or fruit in general is not a good idea unless you know these people eat it because of bugs. For example, pineapple is often precut. We won't eat anything with pineapple or that touched it if we did not cut it and check it ourselves. Same for pineapple juice. We eat nothing with pineapple juice in it, even if juiced at home. There are more fruits, just using this one as an example.

2. That's maybe acceptable one night but not every night. Most people I know wouldn't eat that food including myself. Some don't even know what it is, especially in 60s.

flmommy

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:23 am
How about sushi? Just joking!

I would do salmon, Veges and potatoes
Chicken legs, rice and veges
Spaghetti and meatballs (not so traditional but not so out there)
Shnitzel, orzo and veges

imaima

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 6:57 am
mha3484 wrote:
I am not a very traditional person but after my baby was born I got meals from the local refuah org and it was very heimish. Each day was a soup and fresh fruit. The menu was meatballs and rice, schitzel with roasted potatoes, chicken on the bone with a starch maybe more potatoes and the last day was baked ziti/lasagna. There was a vegetable side dish with meal.

I guess I will steal it as a weekly meal plan.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for these good ideas.

Ra_mom, how do you make the chicken and rice taste good and the rice not come out either crunchy or mushy? (I tried it a few times but it never worked for me.) How do you season the minute steak and potatoes, and do you cover it? I don’t like to use soup mix if possible.

ETA I had some sheet pan supper failures too so I’m scared of them. Something always seems to get overdone or even burned. I don’t know why!

1 cup rice, 2 cups water, 1 tsp salt in 9x13 pan. 4 chicken legs seasoned all over (under skin and also bottom of chicken pieces) with onion, garlic and salt. Place chicken on top of rice in pan and sprinkle with paprika. Bake covered at 350 for 2 1/2 hours.

Toss 1/2 diced onion, 4 crushed garlic cloves and 5 sliced Yukon gold potatoes with a drop of oil and season with paprika, black pepper & 2 teaspoons salt. Lay minute steaks on top. Smear with some more oil and 2 crushed garlic cloves. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and sprinkle with paprika. Top with the other 1/2 of the onion cut into rings. Cover and bake at 325 for 3 hours.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:43 am
Blessing1 wrote:
I make soup once a week for the week.

Why wouldn't you rather make a soup weekly, and freeze the leftovers, and serve a different soup (from the freezer) so that you have a variety each week?

sequoia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:48 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Why wouldn't you rather make a soup weekly, and freeze the leftovers, and serve a different soup (from the freezer) so that you have a variety each week?

No.

Soups (and stews) actually taste better on the second and third day. Freezing completely destroys the yummy process.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:48 am
You can serve a soup each night.
Roast chicken on the bone and rice
Breaded chicken on the bone and roast potatoes
Schnitzel and mashed potatoes
Meatloaf and cabbage and noodles
Minute steak and orzo
Grilled chicken and breaded noodles (aka mock shlishkes)

Add a vegetable side dish or a salad

I don't think it's necessary to serve dessert at each meal, but you can serve baked apples, fruit compote, sliced fruit, or bought ice cream or ices

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:55 am
funmother wrote:
I serve food every night its so filling and eas. I make it on Sundays label it days of the week and freeze. I serve with a main. Each night something else. Sunday grounds beef/chicken/ turkey or something else. different type each week , Tuesday fingers or cutlets- a different type each week. Wednesday milichig-I don't know why its not a minhag but something your supposed to do. Thursday chicken on the bone served with a different type of kugles. Sometime we have salad but its not good on my kids stomach if we have certain vegetables soups. Each night we have either potatoes, rice or noodles sometimes with additional vegetables.Dessert. Which is melons, compote, like applesauce. Milichig day we have a milichig extra special dessert.

So weird that people davka serve shabbos food thursday night. Isn't it not special if you just had it the night before? I actually have a jewish cookbook that says some people specifically have the minhag to eat fish or dairy thursday so shabbos food is more special.

pause

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 8:28 am
Raisin wrote:
So weird that people davka serve shabbos food thursday night. Isn't it not special if you just had it the night before? I actually have a jewish cookbook that says some people specifically have the minhag to eat fish or dairy thursday so shabbos food is more special.

I feel the same way. We have leftovers on Sunday. When I use chicken from the Shabbos soup for Thursday, it's because I made fancier/tastier chicken or meat for Shabbos.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 8:32 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

I only feeeze chicken soup. I don't like the consistency and taste of soups that were frozen.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:55 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Forgive my ignorance. Doesn't heimish mean homey or home-style? Wouldn't anything cooked from scratch in a home therefore be heimish by definition? I'm very confused. Please someone explain.

Asking again. Legit don't get it.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:43 pm
Asking again. Legit don't get it.

OP explained that she is referring to traditional Ashkenazi food.

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:58 pm

I think she means traditional by Heimish.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 5:09 pm
OK, thank you. But what are traditional/ ashkenazi foods for weekdays? Or do people eat the things I think of as shabbos foods all week?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 5:13 pm
OK, thank you. But what are traditional/ ashkenazi foods for weekdays? Or do people eat the things I think of as shabbos foods all week?

See my list on first page.
It's just the typical food you'd find in a hungarian/chassidish home. We don't even know what chili is.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:02 pm
Thanks everyone for the ideas and thanks ra_mom for the recipes!

I thought the way I use the word “heimish” is pretty standard, am I wrong? How do most people use it? We always called traditional Ashkenazi food heimish food (said with love and appreciation).

DREAMING

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 6:39 pm
You can also spread chicken legs with duck sauce and bake. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes. Breaded cutlets.
Soups there are some easy recipes on this site.

You don’t need dessert but if you want fresh fruit or compote…

amother
Hyacinth

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 6:50 pm
dankbar wrote:
Ukranian
Tokon- cornmeal porridge
Potato green bean soup with sour cream
Borscht soup with cabbage/green beans and sour cream

Polish
Cheese blintzes
Meat/ cheese/ or potato pierogies either baked like turnovers or cooked like kreplach
They do stuffed cabbage without tomato sauce
Their cholent they do with potatoes instead of beans.

Hi Finally I can say "I'm not Ukrainian" without feeling embarrassed (although I left Ukraine as a teen) I've never had or seen the food you're describing.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 6:52 pm
DREAMING wrote:
You can also spread chicken legs with duck sauce and bake. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes. Breaded cutlets.
Soups there are some easy recipes on this site.

You don’t need dessert but if you want fresh fruit or compote…

Fresh fruit is really hard if you don't know someone else's kashrus standards.
There are problems with many like blueberries, pineapple, grapes.
We don't eat blueberries at all.
Eat grape only if we know each was washed individually and checked.
Eat pineapple only if washed and cut a special way.
I could never eat it in someone's home if I didn't know how it was prepared.
It's a problem.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen