Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What type of therapy?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 8:06 pm
I have a sweet child who really wants to do the right thing and is good kid. I've noticed a pattern with her and I'm concerned how it'll play out for her when she's older.
When she was little she used to sneak snacks. We found out and we talked to her about it. we were able to work something out and she stopped. Soon after that stopped though she developed a certain addictive bad habit that even with therapy she hasn't been able to break. recently I noticed she's been doing a little better but then we found out that she was playing games on the computer without permission.

I spoke with her and made it clear that playing computer games is not inherently bad, we aren't upset at her. I'm concerned about the sneaking around. I spoke with her about how she felt when she was sneaking around. I asked her to compare it to how she felt when she did this certain bad habit and she agreed it was the same sensation. She described it as a "rush". I know that addicts, thiefs... have that same rush. She's not there at all but I want to figure out how to help her when she's still young and innocent and not wait until G-d forbid she develops a serious problem. I do think certain people are more prone to addictions that others.

please don't tell me I'm blowing things out of proportion. I'm really not. I just like to help my kids now as much as possible deal with whatever are their personal struggles so they can be in the best place possible as adults which aways away.

We've tried therapy in the past but don't think it helped much. In general she tries to sidetrack conversations so as not to talk about the hard stuff...

Mommysrock

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:47 pm
It sounds like you're really trying to understand and support your daughter through these challenges, and that's commendable. Play therapy could be a good approach, especially since it's designed to help children express their thoughts and feelings through play, which can be less intimidating than direct conversation. It might help her open up more about her experiences and feelings. Additionally, since you've noticed a pattern of behavior that concerns you, it might be beneficial to seek a therapist who specializes in addiction or behavior patterns, as they may have specific strategies to address these issues in children. It's important to keep the lines of communication open with your daughter and to approach these discussions with empathy and understanding... Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics