Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Need ideas of suppers very traditional heimish type
Previous  1  2  3  4

DREAMING

Post Thu, Jan 13 2022, 7:18 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Fresh fruit is really hard if you don't know someone else's kashrus standards.
There are problems with many like blueberries, pineapple, grapes.
We don't eat blueberries at all.
Eat grape only if we know each was washed individually and checked.
Eat pineapple only if washed and cut a special way.
I could never eat it in someone's home if I didn't know how it was prepared.
It's a problem.

Apples, oranges, cantaloupe, pears….

Yes berries are a problem. I never heard of grapes or pineapple being an issue but big deal so you don’t eat it.

zaq

Post Sat, Jan 15 2022, 8:26 pm
One of the pleasures of visiting other people is experiencing foods different from the same old same old that you make yourself. Others will never make your kind of food the same way you do and it can be disappointing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 1:21 am
Update: it went well. Thank you everyone for your help. My suppers were:

Zucchini soup, shnitzel, rice, salad
Minestrone soup, baked salmon (fish sticks for kids), rolls, salad
Zucchini soup, chicken burgers, salad, clementines
Minestrone soup, baked ziti, salad
One night I made “breakfast for supper” bagels, quiche, salad

Everyone seemed to enjoy, BH!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 1:56 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
To me courses are such a Shabbos thing! But do you know what this thread is reminding of me of! The noon dinner that Mama served her girls in All-of-a-Kind Family. That was probably heimish cooking, right?

Loved those books!

Basimcha

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 4:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:
1 cup rice, 2 cups water, 1 tsp salt in 9x13 pan. 4 chicken legs seasoned all over (under skin and also bottom of chicken pieces) with onion, garlic and salt. Place chicken on top of rice in pan and sprinkle with paprika. Bake covered at 350 for 2 1/2 hours.

If using brown rice should I adjust anything to this recipe?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 4:03 pm
Basimcha wrote:
If using brown rice should I adjust anything to this recipe?

It would probably need an extra half hour

Basimcha

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 4:06 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It would probably need an extra half hour

Thank you so much.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 4:55 pm
I'm not heimish, but when I visit other people, I enjoy the fact that their cooking doesn't duplicate mine. Half the fun of traveling is eating something different. I would never want anyone to try to recreate what I make. It would be impossible, because every cook is unique. Even using the identical recipe, your stove is different, your pots are different, even your water is different, and that means that your outcome will be different. Not necessarily better or worse, just different.

I'd much rather eat genuine OP cuisine than copycat ME cuisine.

dankbar

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 5:13 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
I'm not heimish, but when I visit other people, I enjoy the fact that their cooking doesn't duplicate mine. Half the fun of traveling is eating something different. I would never want anyone to try to recreate what I make. It would be impossible, because every cook is unique. Even using the identical recipe, your stove is different, your pots are different, even your water is different, and that means that your outcome will be different. Not necessarily better or worse, just different.

I'd much rather eat genuine OP cuisine than copycat ME cuisine.

That is when you have guests who are open to eat other types of cuisine or different foods, styles, usually young ones that are exposed, accustomed to different types of foods.

When you have older guests, who only eat their traditional Hungarian foods and never touched different type of food, then you it wouldn't be kdai to make your regular food, that they wouldn't want to touch. Why not accommodate guests if you could. She anyways has to make supper, might as well make something they like.
If you know they are not picky and ok with trying new stuff then fine

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 5:41 pm
I’m very interested in the assertion on this thread that heimish is Hungarian. There are Slovakian and Russian and Poilish chassidim too. Most of them don’t eat Hungarian food.

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 6:16 pm
Am I the only who can’t imagine eating so much in one meal? We have tiny dinners around here, compared to these.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 7:09 pm
I cook very simple/heimish
Some sample menus:
Meatloaf rice salad
Baked chicken (salt/paprika/garlic powder) mashed potatoes zucchini/tomatoes
Shnitzel /orzo/corn /coleslaw

amother
Obsidian

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 7:29 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
Am I the only who can’t imagine eating so much in one meal? We have tiny dinners around here, compared to these.

What’s an Example of a typical dinner in your family?

Amarante

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 10:13 pm
I found this thread interesting because I was expecting very Eastern European recipes. That is what I associate with "heimish" - goulash; chicken fricassee; tongue in sweet and sour sauce etc.

But these recipes seemed pretty mainstream - baked chicken; baked salmon; meatloaf. Essentially these are what I would call just plain American cooking.

This wasn't a judgment - just a comment that I never thought of these foods as heimish particularly.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen