Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What suppers does your dh actually eat?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:16 am
I can't seem to figure it out and it's 7 years later
If I cook nothing then he's mad there's nothing hot
If I cook what I like then he doesn't eat it
If I cook what he requests then he takes 2 bites

I'm ready to put the same 10 recipes on rotation. And no I don't know what they should be. I'm only begging him for years to please put in any supper request.
Please share your wisdom. I hate everything to do with food. It's the biggest source of stress in my life. I don't know what to buy or cook or make or serve. Wish I could just live on air.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:31 am
Ugh so frustrating when he doesn't even help himself by telling you what he likes.
I guess if he doesn't offer suggestions then make "regular" meals like chicken and rice one night and lasagna and salad another night. Meatloaf with a side (serves him right - though we enjoy a moist meatloaf here). We sometimes make fancy deli sandwiches when I buy corn beef/pastrami/roast beef, fresh baguettes and lettuce/pickles/tomatoes/purple onions/thousand island dressing and we all enjoy that.
Keep an eye on what he'll eat.
And try not to take it personally when he only takes two bites. He's putting you in an impossible situation.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:45 am
So mu husband pretty much only like "takeout style dinners" which is a struggle for me since I'd rather eat a more wholesome, healthy dinner. It could be your husband also likes more takeout style.
I make schnitzel a lot. Sometimes I buy baguettes and add lettuce, fried onions, tomatoes,and pickles and we put sauces like garlic mayo and sweet chili. You can bake the schnitzel for a healthier option. Sometimes I make q giant schnitzel salad if lunch was heavy that day. Other dinners we make are Chinese style. Sesame chicken with broccoli, chicken lomein, chicken stir fry with Ramen, beef and broccoli. Burgers is another dinner, grilled chicken done on the BBQ grill is also super yum...

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 3:32 am
My husband eats whatever I make. If he doesnt want that, he will make something himself.
OP, can you tell your husband that you are going to start making a dinner list, the things he tells you he likes. If he wont actually eat those things, its not your problem, its his. I think catering to him like a child is not helping you.
Make what you know he likes, or he tells you he likes, and beyond that, he has to deal with it if he doesnt actually want it. Its not your issue once it is made.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:05 am
My husband eats just about everything. But I’m a picky eater, so yes, we have about 10 dinners on rotation. Serve the same thing almost every Monday night. Thursday’s have 2 choices that I switch off between. Etc.

twizzlers1

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:12 am
10 Dinners and a rotation sounds like a good idea. If he's happy with that and he likes that then that sounds like a great idea to me. My family likes new recipes which lately I have not had the energy to make. I probably have more like 20 in a rotation for years but they're all recipes everybody likes and every once in a while I throw something new into the mix. Depending on the time we have between 6:00 and 7 people at home and I really try to make something that everyone will like and I am usually successful. If someone doesn't like dinner that night then they can make sandwich or have a bowl of cereal but that rarely happens. It could be if I tried a lot of new different recipes that people would not like it which I guess is why I'm sticking to what works with a little bit of something new once in a while.

rachelli66

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:19 am
The only thing DH doesn't eat are carbs, potatoes, rice, bread, pita, etc. I prepare alot of Protein, such as baked chicken, ground meat, baked fish. I also prepare large salads that we eat with the proteins and also serve salad with salted cheese. It is extremely hard when the whole family eats different food. You really can't prepare 3 different meals.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 9:00 am
My father was like that- always kvetching about the food my mother cooked. Saying he doesn't like soup but then gobbling up the small pot my mother made for the kids because he decided he likes it. Or saying he likes a certain type of chicken and then complaining about it while eating it.

And then my husband started off giving me a hard time with food- complaining if he thought what I made didn't "go together" (whatever what means), complaining it wasn't enough, kvetching if it wasn't hot enough, salty enough, too salty.....

Anyway- I put my foot down. If someone is cooking food for you, you shut up and eat it OR shut up and don't eat it. Now, he happily eats whatever I make and even likes it most of the time. My father is a lost cause though. It's a good thing I don't have to cook for him. Lol.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 9:15 am
Can you talk to DH about it? If he’s only taking 2 bites even when you made what he requested…. Is he emaciated? Does he ever eat well? Are you a lousy cook? Does he eat something before he comes home and he’s already full?

Something is off and I think you need a conversation with DH about it more than menu suggestions from us.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 9:16 am
That is super hard.
Can you sit down with him and write down what he likes.
You don’t need 10. Even 5-6 on repeat is enough.

Hamburgers + Israeli salad
Spiced Chicken on the bone + potatos
Breaded Schnitzel + rice
Tilapia + sweet potato
Stir fry chicken + rice
Lasagna + broccoli
Grilled chicken cutlets + roasted vegetables

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 9:27 am
OP, what is your husband eating when he is not eating what you made?

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 9:30 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
That is super hard.
Can you sit down with him and write down what he likes.
You don’t need 10. Even 5-6 on repeat is enough.

Hamburgers + Israeli salad
Spiced Chicken on the bone + potatos
Breaded Schnitzel + rice
Tilapia + sweet potato
Stir fry chicken + rice
Lasagna + broccoli
Grilled chicken cutlets + roasted vegetables

Thank you for this list! I just sent it to my husband and said to pick one for dinner.

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 9:32 am
He’s an adult why waste so much energy on this? Make what you want since it’s not worth the energy making food he won’t eat anyway. He can eat a sandwich if he doesn’t like the food. It’s not your job to baby him.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 9:33 am
I don’t understand this post

Your husband is an adult

He’s responsible for his sustenance, and his nutrition. Not you. Why have you taken this on?

You cook and serve serve perfectly acceptable dinners, I assume. If he chooses not to eat them he can get a yogurt or make a sandwich instead. Or he can choose to be hungry.

But this is not YOUR problem to fix.

Stop it. Drop it.

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 9:37 am
My husband is very happy if I cook and will eat it or not eat it without complaint. He also knows how to cook (even better than me) and will often make dinner. I don't complain about what he makes. We pretty much share the cooking chore and no one is ungrateful enough to complain if the other one did the cooking.

Whoever cooks gets to decide. If you have both decided that you are the cook, then he needs to be proactive if he wants specific food. He can communicate like an adult, he can say "I would like chicken and rice twice a week please' or whatever. It's rude to just whine after the fact.

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 10:04 am
Op- for a few years I had this with my kids… They are all hearty eaters but at one point nobody liked supper. So that year we sat down and made a family menu that everyone agreed on. They knew beforehand what was for supper and there was always frozen pizza in the freezer if they decided they didn’t want it. Even though your husband is acting the same way it’s not the same thing! He’s an adult and ultimately is responsible for himself, but a lot of wives , like myself are in charge of making supper, and we like it if our husband appreciates/eats what we make! Are you able to sit down with him, when it’s not meal time, and try to have a normal conversation. Write out the choices that you would make on a piece of paper and have him give you suggestions. Tell him that you’re very happy to make whatever he wants, but he has the plan it. I hope it works out for you I know I would be so frustrated…

amother
Maize

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 12:38 pm
My dh likes most meat dishes. Some versions of chicken cutlets (breaded or Chinese stir fry). Doesn't eat other chicken dishes. Also likes most dairy dishes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics