Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Baskin robbins
Previous  1  2

Hannah!

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 11:08 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Thu, May 01 2008, 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 1:06 am
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Carvel, soft serve vanilla sundae with hot fudge, wet walnuts and dark cherries...

I MISS good ice cream.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 1:10 am
we have a dunkin donuts/baskin robbins here. there are no not kosher products in the store. the vaad is very strict on that or they will not certify it. there was a starbucks here that they were trying to make c"y- the franchise owners said the vaad wouldn't work with them b/c they couldn't get rid of its not kosher products.

ShiningThrough

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 8:34 am
YESHA, I sympathize!! I taught my kids to appreciate GOOD ice cream in the days that Ben & Jerry's had a scoop shop on Rechov Hillel. Those were the days! By the way, yesterday Ben & Jerry's celebrated 20 years in Israel and was giving out free ice cream!
All those who can enjoy Baskin Robbins... have a chocolate mousse royale for me! (if they still have that flavor...)

bashinda

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 10:39 pm
I actually worked at Baskin Robbins and it's not at all impossible that the non kosher ice cream could get on your kosher ice cream. At least when I worked there (admittedly about 20 years ago, eep) they had little basins of water attached to the cases where you rinsed / stored the scoopers but I remember that it wasn't uncommon for some cross-icecream-ization to happen.

But if all the flavors were kosher than the scoopers aren't a problem at all since as someone else said they're cold and they're only used for the ice cream.

Of course it's all moot to me since it's not CY and I don't think their ice cream cake roll cakes are pas yisroel either.

I used to love chocolate mousse royale though.

mimivan

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 11:00 pm
Ladies, Fly out to E.Y and get some Strauss Ice Cream...the best Ice cream IMHO outside of European Gelato...!

C.Y and good hecksher too (at least available with good hechksher in some places)

bashinda

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 11:29 pm
if it's so good why doesn't yeshasettler like it? Smile

mimivan

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 12:08 am
can't argue with taste!

dh and I love it (b'h because it is about the only ice cream we can actually eat! )

yo'ma

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 7:00 am
My brother who is a mashgiach in H.P., NJ told us many years ago to stop eating from baskin robbins. I just asked him why and this was his response:
Quote:
THe vaad here has allowed Baskin Robins to have a hashkach but I check each ice cream to make sure that it's fine, b/c there are many flavours and plants that are not ok.

Make of it as you want.

tovarena

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 9:52 am
cassandra wrote:
*I believe they are Rocky Road, Bubble Gum, Grape, Bailey's Irish Cream, and any other ice cream that contains a well known corporate ingredient that you know to be unkosher.

I had always thought the same thing, until I took my little sister into a Carvel store that has a full hashgacha about 2 years ago. They had a couple of "branded" ice creams in their case, including cinnabon and others. I questioned it, but they were able to show me the marking on the case of ice cream itself. Many of these types of brands have kosher ingredients but the stores are not kosher because they don't have a mashgiach on site. Ex: I once saw a box of cookie dough going to a Mrs. Fields (where they just open the box and put the dough on trays to be baked). The box was very clearly marked (with an OU if I recall correctly). But of course the cookies are still not kosher. Crying

As a p.s. to this, about a year ago, we got a kosher cinnabon in the mall right next to my office. Yummy!! Okay, once I looked at the nutrition info, I really couldn't rationalize eating that amount of fat on a snack! But it's pretty cool anyway.

mom21n2

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 9:57 am
The kashrut certificate outside the store should specifically identify which, if any, of the ice cream flavors, and other products, sold are NOT kosher. Check it on your way in and then don't buy those.

freidasima

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 10:11 am
Strauss Ice Cream is good?
Gevalt.
Try Haagen Daas.
Carvel - they used to have one under the Mashbir in Yerushalayim for years...but no longer...oh well...
Real ice cream.
Yum.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries