Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed
Hostage situation at shul in Texas
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 11:41 am
DrMom wrote:
If you are referring to me, I asked my DH and my oldest son to look at the newspaper websites with me and nobody could find it.

Well between 8 pm and 12 am American time last night, it was there on the NYT website front and center. I checked in a few times to see the coverage and look for updates. What

Once it was resolved maybe they moved it off to have other breaking articles take its place.

BTW I think the media wave of the future is Substack. I'm subscribed to a few and they have some excellent unbiased coverage of news and current events. Pretty soon it will give traditional news media a real run for their money.

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 1:07 pm
DrMom wrote:
No mention of the hostage taker's motives. No mention that his intention is to free a terrorist (a US-educated Pakistani) imprisoned for attacking US troops in Afghanistan. They just gloss right over those details. Interesting what they choose to report.

Maybe there was more info on their homepage during some brief interval. That's all there is now. The stories about the tennis player are still there, as are the stories about Omicron.

I got alerts from The NY Times about the hostage situation multiple times last night. It was clearly on the front page of the app and it was constantly being updated with information.

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 1:09 pm
amother [ Tealblue ] wrote:
I got alerts from The NY Times about the hostage situation multiple times last night. It was clearly on the front page of the app and it was constantly being updated with information.

I just got another alert right now.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:13 pm
fleetwood wrote:
It was on CNN and all the local New York news for hours last night. I guess you aren't able to watch it bec you aren't in the U.S.

So "it" was on CNN. Did they identify the terrorist as a Muslim? Did they say he was a raging anti Semite who targeted Jews? You know how quick the media (and the president) are so quick to point out that everyone and everything is racist. Did they give the anti semetic component of this attack its due? Kind of like when a raging racist black man murdered innocents at a parade in Wisconsin recently. The media reported it. The said "an SUV" ran over a bunch of people. I'm sure you were satisfied. After all, it was on the news, right?

You are dangerously easy to please.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:16 pm
We can stop with the mental gymnastics. It was not covered properly. Most articles made it sound like a random hostage situation and not a Muslim in a synagogue. And yes on Twitter most were more concerned about anyone pointing out it was a Muslim and they didn’t care it involved Jews.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:22 pm
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:
We can stop with the mental gymnastics. It was not covered properly. Most articles made it sound like a random hostage situation and not a Muslim in a synagogue. And yes on Twitter most were more concerned about anyone pointing out it was a Muslim and they didn’t care it involved Jews.

No one made it sound like a random hostage situation.

Fox

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Those Englishmen! Gotta watch out for them!

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:24 pm
Isn't the Telegraph a British paper?

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Actually many did including psaki

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Did they say he was Muslim?

Did they say the attack was motivated by hatred of jews?

Did they discuss other anti sematic attacks that have occurred and whether we should be worried about a pattern of jew haters attacking jews?

simcha2

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:33 pm
Fox wrote:

Those Englishmen! Gotta watch out for them!

You know the terrorist was a British citizen, right? And that the Telegraph is a British paper, so the fact that the perpetrator is English was relevant to their readership.

And I assume you read the rest of the article

"The suspect had claimed to be the brother of convicted terrorist Aafia Siddiqui, according to a US official quoted by ABC News, though his identity has not been released.

Siddiqui, a former Pakistani neuroscientist, was sentenced in 2010 by an American court to 86 years in prison for the attempted murder of US officers in Afghanistan.

During the live feed, the suspect appeared to be repeatedly demanding that negotiators “get my sister on the phone”, as well as referring to spending time in England.

At one point, he could be heard asking: “What the f--- is wrong with America?”"

Not sure what your point is.

fleetwood

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:38 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
So "it" was on CNN. Did they identify the terrorist as a Muslim? Did they say he was a raging anti Semite who targeted Jews? You know how quick the media (and the president) are so quick to point out that everyone and everything is racist. Did they give the anti semetic component of this attack its due? Kind of like when a raging racist black man murdered innocents at a parade in Wisconsin recently. The media reported it. The said "an SUV" ran over a bunch of people. I'm sure you were satisfied. After all, it was on the news, right?

You are dangerously easy to please.

Huh? No wonder you are anonymous Bec you have no idea what you are talking about. Of course CNN gave all the facts, same as Fox ..I know..Bec I was flipping channels all night..unlike you who obviously haven't been paying attention.

Btw..since I post under my screen name..feel free to look at my posts from the ramming incident. At the time all the news outlets were showing pictures and giving all the details about the attack.

No wonder you went anonymous to attack me..Bec your entire post is a lie
If I was a liar I would also go anonymous!

Last edited by fleetwood on Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

fleetwood

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Posters keep spouting this narrative..but they are wrong...the media reported all the facts...

Fox

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:43 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Not sure what your point is.

My point is that it's ridiculous to claim that the Jewish angle wasn't downplayed by the media, and that this particular headline -- regardless of who ran it -- was a particularly pointed example of that.

Now, I'm not claiming that a British paper would ignore the fact that the perpetrator appeared to be a Brit. I'm just saying that they were excessively careful in making sure the headline didn't reveal that Muslim-Jewish element of the story.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:50 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Thank you DrMom!

This is really chilling.

Insane how if something does not fit the narrative being pushed today then it does not covered or gets covered in quite a different way.

Anti semitism plain and simple. Targeted as Jews. A synagogue with a big magen dovid on it. Terrorism.

B"H those poor people taken hostage were rescued all in one piece and the terrorist taken down.

We need moshiach now!

1010WINS radio, owned by CBS, did not even mention this story at all this morning!!! I kid you not.

simcha2

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:55 pm
Fox wrote:
My point is that it's ridiculous to claim that the Jewish angle wasn't downplayed by the media, and that this particular headline -- regardless of who ran it -- was a particularly pointed example of that.

Now, I'm not claiming that a British paper would ignore the fact that the perpetrator appeared to be a Brit. I'm just saying that they were excessively careful in making sure the headline didn't reveal that Muslim-Jewish element of the story.

Frankly, it is amazing that a non-American newspaper ran the story at all. The fact that they did, because it was a shul, and not say, an office, is the opposite of what you are claiming. That and the fact that he was British.

The fact, that to prove your point, you had to go outside the US, pretty much invalidates it.
And the Telegraph (which is a center Right paper), follow up article is also makes no bones about him being Muslim.

Maybe read the whole article next time. (I realize it requires a paid subscription), or don't rely on screenshots intended to manipulate a story.

fleetwood

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:57 pm
Cheiny wrote:
1010WINS radio, owned by CBS, did not even mention this story at all this morning!!! I kid you not.

Probably bec it ended peacefully. But they were absolutely reporting on it last night

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Jan 16 2022, 2:59 pm
The NYT was live updating last night and has multiple articles up about the situation.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics