Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Chicken soup kept on hot plate overnight for Shabbos lunch
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 4:45 pm
Anyone do this? The pot would contain chicken, potatoes and carrots. Usually I make a chulent for lunch but I need a bland meal in advance of a colonoscopy.
The hot plate does not boil the food so the soup wouldnt get too concentrated I'm just wondering how it will all taste.
Thanks.

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 4:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone do this? The pot would contain chicken, potatoes and carrots. Usually I make a chulent for lunch but I need a bland meal in advance of a colonoscopy.
The hot plate does not boil the food so the soup wouldnt get too concentrated I'm just wondering how it will all taste.
Thanks.

Yes my MIL makes this Pessach. It turns dark and deep tasting. Very hearty!

Learning

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 4:48 pm
You can add a little barley. I think it will be good.

mom4many

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 4:49 pm
The soup stays good, but becomes brown. My daughter has me leave on the soup for her for Shabbos morning & she loves it. I personally don’t like the taste.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 4:50 pm
It will be fine. Another option is to use the instant pot if you have.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 4:51 pm
I do it all the time. Perfect on centre of plata. Crockpot overcooks it though.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 4:52 pm
Learning wrote:
You can add a little barley. I think it will be good.

Please tell me how this helps.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 4:52 pm
Raisin wrote:
I do it all the time. Perfect on centre of plata. Crockpot overcooks it though.

So you leave overnight not only the soup but chicken on the bone and soup vegetables as well?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 4:54 pm
amother [ Buttercup ] wrote:
Yes my MIL makes this Pessach. It turns dark and deep tasting. Very hearty!

In the pot she has chicken on the bone and soup vegetables and they all taste good (not too soft and mushy)?

hodeez

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 5:00 pm
I do this every shabbat for my kids. I leave it on the lowest flame. We all love it

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 5:02 pm
hodeez wrote:
I do this every shabbat for my kids. I leave it on the lowest flame. We all love it

Thank you, but my question is specifically about doing this with a hot plate

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 5:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you, but my question is specifically about doing this with a hot plate

I don't know if it would work on a hot plate--the soup might spoil because it doesn't keep it as hot as a low flame under a blech.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 5:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So you leave overnight not only the soup but chicken on the bone and soup vegetables as well?

yup, chicken, veggies, matza balls, noodles...wtvr is in there. Slightly overcooked but much better than crockpot.

Just make sure it is in the centre of the plata so it is hot enough. And make sure it is still steaming hot when you serve.

It may be dependant on your hot plate of course, size, brand etc. But it works on mine.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 5:07 pm
Safety question, is it even OK to keep a hot plate on for 24 hours? I only do it on a timer. I'd be worried about a fire c"v. Most of these warming appliances aren't meant to be on continuously for that long.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 5:11 pm
mom4many wrote:
The soup stays good, but becomes brown. My daughter has me leave on the soup for her for Shabbos morning & she loves it. I personally don’t like the taste.

I agree with you, it turns brown and the taste changes, not for the better.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 5:13 pm
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
Safety question, is it even OK to keep a hot plate on for 24 hours? I only do it on a timer. I'd be worried about a fire c"v. Most of these warming appliances aren't meant to be on continuously for that long.

you can leave on a timer to go off after lunch.

Ours is a very safe plata, we bought in the UK, I think it is designed purposely for this. (my husband is terrified of fire, he did lots of research after some bad experiences with israeli made platas)

If you are in Europe or Israel this is what we have.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0.....?th=1

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 6:53 pm
I keep mine on the blech on a gas stove. It usually gets darker and the flavor stronger, which is all to the good. I don't know why more people don't do this. I don't usually have chicken in the soup, just broth and veggies. The chicken is strained out of the broth before chilling and skimming off the fat, after which veggies are added and cooked. Maybe this makes a difference, IDK. But I don't put potatoes in my soup. I'd think the spuds would fall apart, though that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It would make the broth thicker.

It never occurred to me that people wouldn't like the taste of overnight soup. That may explain why our recent Shabbos guests accepted soup Friday night and demurred Shabbos day. I thought maybe they suspected that I had refrigerated the soup and put it back on the blech in the morning. Perhaps they were afraid that it didn't stay hot enough and they'd be courting food poisoning? That seems weird considering that the husband ate here many, many times when he was a bocher and always ate the soup, but you never know what influence a wife may have. She said she didn't want soup first, then he said he didn't want soup, either.

Miri1

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:12 am
I do this.
Our hotplate is really hot, so the soup does actually concentrate a bit.
I love a deep brown chicken soup Smile

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:14 am
We do this every week. Chicken soup stays on hot plate with everything in it. Dark and delicious.

Learning

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 10:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please tell me how this helps.

If you put barley and there is not so much water it becomes almost like chulent
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note