Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Clothing store owners: Why?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 9:52 am
This drives me crazy and really leaves me scratching my head:
Why do many women's clothing stores not have mirrors in the dressing rooms?!
I can't be the only one who was stuck trying on a dress and just not feeling comfortable walking out in public to check the mirror.
I'm especially bothered by this in maternity stores. At a time when we feel MORE vulnerable about our size and fit, shouldn't we have the privacy to check first if it looks basically okay and not embarrassing before we saunter out?
I can't count how many times I just walked out without buying rather than walk out before seeing myself. And I'm NOT a self-conscious or shy person in general.
You too?

hodeez

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 9:54 am
I wonder if it's so the sales people can harass you into buying by telling you how good you look

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 9:54 am
I'm right there with you. If there is no mirror in the dressing room chances are I won't be purchasing anything. I'm not about to embarrass myself without knowing how I look.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 9:55 am
I always assumed it was done by design. You have to come out to see the mirror and that gives the sales lady a chance to swoop in and push you towards a fast, affirmative decision. She brushes off your concerns and rushed your decision making.

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 9:56 am
I just walked out of a store because of this. I would have spent a lot but I was not walking into the crowded public space without seeing how I looked first. It really bothers me.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:00 am
I had this complaint many times!!!!!!! Every dressing room should include a full length mirror ( that makes you look 10 pounds thinner).

questionanswer

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:27 am
I agree with this and avoid stores without mirrors.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:42 am
Anon because this is specific to me.

I manage a mikvah. We were told to remove the full length mirrors from the prep rooms (and only have ones to check your face) because many women felt it was not tzanuah to have to be that close to a full length mirror and see themselves naked with no where else to look. Which is all sorts of messed up but whatever.

So I imagine the same goes for some frum clothing stores. Women do not want to be in a small area with no where else to look but at a mirror where they will see themselves undressed. Truth is, I am overweight and I get kind of down when I see myself undressed and it does not put me in the best mindset to spend on myself, it more makes me think "you are a fat pig, you should lose weight and not buy things now". So I can see a thought that it's better for spenders to see themselves only looking fab in the new clothes and not undressed, so they put a mirror right outside the dressing room.

Not saying I agree, but it's what I bet the thought is.

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:44 am
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:

I manage a mikvah. We were told to remove the full length mirrors from the prep rooms (and only have ones to check your face) because many women felt it was not tzanuah to have to be that close to a full length mirror and see themselves naked with no where else to look. Which is all sorts of messed up but whatever.

So I imagine the same goes for some frum clothing stores. Women do not want to be in a small area with no where else to look but at a mirror where they will see themselves undressed. Truth is, I am overweight and I get kind of down when I see myself undressed and it does not put me in the best mindset to spend on myself, it more makes me think "you are a fat pig, you should lose weight and not buy things now". So I can see a thought that it's better for spenders to see themselves only looking fab in the new clothes and not undressed.

So those people can get undressed with their backs to the mirror. But it’s not fair to make us all feel publicly embarrassed when they can turn around.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:47 am
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
So those people can get undressed with their backs to the mirror. But it’s not fair to make us all feel publicly embarrassed when they can turn around.

I agree, I was just thinking out loud what I think it may be about.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 10:47 am
I agree, but I thought they do it so that you don't spend so much time in there. If you had to go out to look at the mirror and people are waiting, you're going to go faster than if you looked inside the dressing room.

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:12 am
I also feel so self conscious when I have to step out of the dressing room with something that does not look good on. A few months ago, I went into such a store and tried on a dress which looked nice and felt confortable, but when I went out of the room to check myself into the mirror, I right away saw that it looked awful on me. Just then, the sales lady passes by She gives me a pittying look and tells me "honey, go get yourself something else to try on." as if I didnt know! I was mortified and ran out of the store empty handed.
But on a different occasion, I was taking my daughter shopping before her wedding. The store was packed with new arrivals and we didnt know where to start.(we are not the most savvy shoppers) I was sitting outside the fitting rooms and looking at what everyone was trying on. Every time I saw something I liked, I would go get it for dd to try on. We were really matzliach that day. It might be one of the reasons shopkeepers like to have the mirrors outside the rooms.
But op thanks for raising this point. We really do need mirrors at least inside some of the rooms!

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:15 am

So I imagine the same goes for some frum clothing stores. Women do not want to be in a small area with no where else to look but at a mirror where they will see themselves undressed. Truth is, I am overweight and I get kind of down when I see myself undressed and it does not put me in the best mindset to spend on myself, it more makes me think "you are a fat pig, you should lose weight and not buy things now". So I can see a thought that it's better for spenders to see themselves only looking fab in the new clothes and not undressed, so they put a mirror right outside the dressing room.

Wait what? How are you supossed to look over your body properly? I can't be the only one who sheds hair everywhere when I brush my hair.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:19 am
amother [ Oldlace ] wrote:
Wait what? How are you supossed to look over your body properly? I can't be the only one who sheds hair everywhere when I brush my hair.

Just look down. If you see hair, pull it off.

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:19 am
amother [ Oatmeal ] wrote:

I can't see my or my shoulders or every spot so well. I always find things with a ful length mirror.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:39 am

Because as much as we learn as kallahs, and as appropriate as it is to remove all stray hairs, take it from any mikvah lady: a lose hair is not a chatzitza. The real issue with hair is it getting stuck in the filter and making the cleaning job harder. The rabbonim in the community I am in (in NYC) agree with this and said to remove the full length mirrors.

And pro-tip - put on your robe BEFORE brushing your hair out, then the stray hairs will stay on the robe and not on your body.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 11:59 am
The mikva I use had full length mirror in each and every room. Mikva was fully renovated around 3-4 years ago. And this in bnei berak.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:02 pm

What? It’s not tzanua to see your own body? And aren’t you supposed to check your whole body? I don’t stare at myself, and I hate looking at my naked body in the mirror, but the only way to see if I have air in certain places (my lower back, the back of my legs) is to look in a full length mirror. How is there nowhere else to look in a Mikvah prep room? I’m sorry, this is just really rubbing me the wrong way.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:03 pm

Same, I get hair everywhere.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 12:05 pm
amother [ Oatmeal ] wrote:

You can look all the way down your back?
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics