Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Midwinter dilemma

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:41 pm
Long story short my husband has off from work this week and starts again Tuesday of next week. He just “woke up” and decided that we should be planning a trip (locally) and do something as a family. Of course, this week is the week that we have school functions/performances almost every day of the week and whichever day we would go, someone would miss something important. So that leaves actual midwinter vacation dates to get away- when I imagine everything will be booked and busy.
In general, my kids are under 10 and we don’t do exciting trips often. Staying at a hotel with a pool is a treat. (Hope the pools are open!) I don’t see a need to drive anywhere too far- because we don’t need to, so why should we? I heard the aquarium in Camden (near Philadelphia) is rlly nice. Will it be completely booked if I’m looking to go in a week Sunday? Will it be smash packed with people? Any other local ideas of places to go as a family? We could stay at a hotel with a pool that is local .....

I’m already getting stressed out trying to make a plan. My kids just want to go to sky zone or the like. Go out for ice cream. Get the picture? How do I make it a nice enough “family trip” without having the stress of lines and busyness of it being midwinter?

I live in Toms River Btw.
Thank you for your help.

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:49 pm
1. Go someplace where you need to hook in advance
Or 2. Go someplace where vaccines are required

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:59 pm
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
1. Go someplace where you need to hook in advance
Or 2. Go someplace where vaccines are required

We aren’t vaccinated, so #2 is out.
Where do you need to book in advance?

doctorima

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:02 pm
The early bird gets the worm. On chol hamoed we try to get an early start and usually have no problems with parking or crowds. The kids often comment about the throngs of Jews coming in as we're leaving a few hours later. If you get to Camden Aquarium on Sunday when they open at 9:30, either by leaving home early or by staying in a hotel in Cherry Hill Motzei Shabbos, you shouldn't have any problems with crowds.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:03 pm
Go to the OCC planetarium if its open

There is an interesting insect museum in TR

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:40 pm
doctorima wrote:
The early bird gets the worm. On chol hamoed we try to get an early start and usually have no problems with parking or crowds. The kids often comment about the throngs of Jews coming in as we're leaving a few hours later. If you get to Camden Aquarium on Sunday when they open at 9:30, either by leaving home early or by staying in a hotel in Cherry Hill Motzei Shabbos, you shouldn't have any problems with crowds.

This. Wherever you go, get there early. Staying in a hotel in that vicinity the night before is a great way to extend your trip a little.

At that age my kids loved the Crayola Factory. We've also gone to a Sky Zone or Urban Air about a half hour away, those are usually much emptier.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 1:54 pm
https://tuckertonseaport.org/

A few years ago we went to the Tuckerton Seaport, it is about an hour away

It is off the Parkway and RT.9 on the way home we had the map of every public library on the 9 and stopped off by every one and came home with a lot of books.

If your kids are into taking pictures or history they will like the seaport.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics