Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Is it worth it to go to Florida for short time- Sun-Tues?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 11:55 pm
Whole family.. we were never there before
Dh doesn’t think it’s even worth it if we leave on Sunday morning and come back on Tuesday afternoon.
Is he right?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 12:19 am
I know someone that went just for the day. They took a really early flight and came home really late.

I would totally go from Sunday to Tuesday

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 12:22 am
I went last year with dh from Sunday morning to Tuesday evening. Was best vacation!! Sure it’s worth it!!

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 12:35 am
If you're going from NY, yes that's perfect. You go to the beach, eat out, enjoy the weather and done. It's not like Italy that has must-see tourist destinations and experiences. It's a relaxing getaway.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 12:41 am
Its like chol hamoed
I know people that leave after shacris go to disney orlando and come back the next day

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 1:18 am
Just check the weather before you go to make sure it will be enjoyable and worth it. The high this Sunday in Miami is only 61!

amother
Candycane

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 2:04 am
No that sounds insane to me. The time spent packing, getting to the airport, in the airport, on the plane, to the destination would rival your actual time on the ground. Plus the expense for a whole family for such a short time? No I don’t get it at all. I see lots of dissenting opinion but for me, Sunday to Tuesday is ‘short driving trip’ (under 3 hours door to door) all the way

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 3:23 am
We once went Motzei shabbos to Monday. We had the best time . My kids aren’t off much so we try to make it work around their time off. Also plan before, so you can enjoy as much as you need - example- reservations or bring food , which attraction you want to go to or do you just want to relax by the pool, beach or canal , and fly kites and enjoy each other in the beautiful weather. Enjoy have an amazing trip

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 5:52 am
amother [ Candycane ] wrote:
No that sounds insane to me. The time spent packing, getting to the airport, in the airport, on the plane, to the destination would rival your actual time on the ground. Plus the expense for a whole family for such a short time? No I don’t get it at all. I see lots of dissenting opinion but for me, Sunday to Tuesday is ‘short driving trip’ (under 3 hours door to door) all the way

I'm with you. I mean, if you have to go for a specific reason (wedding, business trip), then okay, but otherwise the travel-time:vacation-time ratio is too high for me.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:08 am
amother [ Candycane ] wrote:

I agree with this. But each person has to know themselves.
I hate the actual travelling, even if it’s just a 1 hour flight it really knocks me around and I feel yuck all day. Some people are fine and walk off a plane ready to party.
In general the day getting to a vacation and returning from one aren’t full days. Sunday and Tuesday are travel days, so you’ll have one full day of vacation. For me it wouldn’t be worth it, especially with kids.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:26 am
Maye if you are staying someplace with a pool and you get in early (but not so early that you can't check in) and leave late on Tues, it could work. That way the first and last days aren't "wasted" on travel.

All of this assumes cooperative weather, of course.

For me it would still be too rushed.

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:54 am
Don't count on beaches or pools in this weather. Unless the pool is well heated. I'd also make sure the house you stay in has good working heat. It's Siberia here right now. We turned out heat on yesterday and it smelled like fire so I turned it off. (Signed, a local who wishes she can escape somewhere warm before her nose freezes off.)

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 6:58 am
Depends on how much travel is involved - are you starting in Baltimore or in Brussels? And on what you plan to do - Florida is a big state with many attractions. Some are see-able in a day, while others deserve a longer trip. And some are only doable in Florida. For example, I can't go to Disney in NJ, but I can go to the beach and a nice restaurant within an hour's drive of my home.

As for that time frame in general, I think it's great to go someplace with no need to hole up in a hotel or hang around an ordinary residential neighborhood over Shabbat. Ideally, travel Saturday night and Tuesday evening.

If you can pack very lightly (carry-on for each family member) and get around without renting a car, it will streamline the airport process (assuming you are flying).

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:17 am
I’ve never done that - but I have driven from central Israel to Eilat for three days (or less) and travel time is similar (not distance obviously but the time it takes to get to your destination assuming that you’re flying) as recently as last Channuka. We left early on Sun. Arrived at one thirty p.m. and the hotel let us check in early and the kids lounged at the (indoor heated) pool - Monday was a full vacation day and we left at noon on Tuesday (after kids spent the morning at the pool and we did some shopping) and we arrived home late that night.

If you have a good deal - it’s definitely doable, but not worth the expense if it comes instead of a longer vacation when you have more time.

Fave

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:20 am
For many kids, airplane travel is part of the fun.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:33 am
It’s been cold
If it doesn’t warm up then it’s not worth it
Check the weather

amother
Candycane

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:58 am
Fave wrote:

You could say that about everything. Put them on a ferry. Or a train. Or take them to the airport to look at planes. The TWA hotel is perfect for that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 7:59 am
Thanks for the responses!
We would be leaving from NJ.
Personally I don’t like going away for shabbos. It’s hard to work out the food situation in an Airbnb plus many other things that are out of my comfort level when I’m not home.
Since dh and kids really want to go, I figured we could leave after shabbos. It would make it much easier for me.
Dh says it’s just not worth it.
We found a place with a pool for very reasonable. It’s not in the area that most people are traveling to now so I think that’s why it was reasonable. Tickets are not cheap but not crazy expensive either.
I figured we could leave to the airport right after shabbos but I couldn’t find a flight until sun morning.
Anyway, weather doesn’t look so great for Friday and shabbos so where are we running to? Weather looks perfect for sun - tues
Dh is very disappointed with me that I don’t want to go for shabbos.
I really thought I was being flexible by agreeing to go during the week since I don’t even want to go to Florida. I was actually never even there!
How do you work out shabbos food in an Airbnb that you have to fly to? If we were driving I would fill up the car with food, a crockpot, a hot water urn…

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 8:01 am
Fave wrote:

Actually, that would be part of the fun for my kids

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jan 25 2022, 8:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the responses!
We would be leaving from NJ.
Personally I don’t like going away for shabbos. It’s hard to work out the food situation in an Airbnb plus many other things that are out of my comfort level when I’m not home.
Since dh and kids really want to go, I figured we could leave after shabbos. It would make it much easier for me.
Dh says it’s just not worth it.
We found a place with a pool for very reasonable. It’s not in the area that most people are traveling to now so I think that’s why it was reasonable. Tickets are not cheap but not crazy expensive either.
I figured we could leave to the airport right after shabbos but I couldn’t find a flight until sun morning.
Anyway, weather doesn’t look so great for Friday and shabbos so where are we running to? Weather looks perfect for sun - tues
Dh is very disappointed with me that I don’t want to go for shabbos.
I really thought I was being flexible by agreeing to go during the week since I don’t even want to go to Florida. I was actually never even there!
How do you work out shabbos food in an Airbnb that you have to fly to? If we were driving I would fill up the car with food, a crockpot, a hot water urn…

Honestly I'd go Friday in that situation. Yes, Shabbat will be a challenge but the weekdays will be so much eaiser - and you won't remember the challenging part of the vacation - you'll come back thinking of how much fun you had the last few days.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics