Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Thinking of putting in a swimming pool- any recommendations?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 8:19 am
I've always been too nervous about the kids to have a pool, but I've been thinking that with a really good fence it might not be a problem. Does anyone have any experiences putting in a pool?

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 8:43 am
my parents have an indoor pool. as much as I love it, do you know how expensive it is to maintain? their hydro bill is insane and you need to pay for a lot of upkeep.
that being said about safety: the door was always locked with a key which was unaccessable to a child and this worked for us.

catonmylap

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 8:53 am
I grew up with a (in ground) pool in the backyard in 2 different houses.

Taking care of the pool is a lot of work, you need to chlorinate, keep it clean, and open and close it up.

A pool also (from what I've seen) lowers the value of a house, not raises it, since more people are not interested in a pool then are.

If you really want a pool, I would look into selling your house and moving into one with a pool.

And I'd look into security methods to keep the kids safe, and get them swimming lessons as early as possible.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 9:00 am
My parents thought of putting a pool in the garden, but decided against because with kids you never know!

loveit

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 9:05 am
Actually if you are putting in a pool, you have the option of installing a great alternative to an ugly fence. My inlaws recently redid their backyard, took out their old pool and put in a new one but they really couldn't agree on a design with a fence.

There is now this new thing, it's pricey but worth it because it provides protection that a fence can't. It's an electronic pool cover that is built into the pool. You flip a switch and the cover comes out over the pool. It's extremely strong, I think it can handle almost a ton, not sure. The advertisement showed like ten people standing on it. It's great because it is so easy to use as opposed to other pool covers they used to have where it would take two people to pull it across the pool and it didn't protect anyone anyway if they did fall on top of it. This pool cover you can walk across. That's why it's better than a fence, because if c'v a chilc got through the fence, they could still get in the pool. This prevents anyone from getting into the pool. It's also good because it keeps the pool clean - it may even act as an insulator to keep the water warmer as well, I'm not sure. It comes in a few different colors and I think it's great because I won't have to worry about our future kids and my inlaws don't have to worry about their dogs falling in while playing or something like that.

The company doing your pool should know about this option, I would look into it, I think it's a great idea and makes the pool very safe.

red sea

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 9:29 am
amother wrote:
I've always been too nervous about the kids to have a pool, but I've been thinking that with a really good fence it might not be a problem. Does anyone have any experiences putting in a pool?

See from your title I was going to reccommend you invite me over to use it Very Happy

I would def only do it with a tall fence that has a lock on the door, for sure unless you can afford what sarahliz described.

Don't scimp on the professional installation, let them do it correctly. After that I know that proper maintenance is essential & an added regular expense.

Tamiri

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 9:33 am
I still have nightmares about the pool which was in the back yard of one of our homes. Having a pool is a sakana. Think long and hard about it. That's besides expenses, of course but I imagine you know all about that already.
Remember the little girl from FL who drowned at a family event this past summer? That was the type of thing I thought about all the time in that house with a pool (all houses in that area came with pools, we had no choice). The pool was fenced in with 6 and 8 ft blocks but once, one of the older kids forgot to latch the gate securely and I found my toddler near the pool.

benny

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 9:58 am
I have a pool in my backyard and though you need to be really careful with the kids and set alot of rules we wait all year for summer. It really enhances our summer. Theres no dereading the real hot sticky days. We live in it. Theres privacy, my kids could swim together... I also dont find its as expensive to upkeep as everyone always makes it out to be. Look into good locks and fence options but I would say go for it.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 10:04 am
OP, ask your insuane carrier how much your rates will go up. It's a liability, you know.

Also, keep in mind, it may easily decrease the value of your home.

shoy18

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 10:07 am
if you are going to do it, have your kids start taking lessons now! my 3 year old niece has a pool and she started lesson last year, if she falls in c'v she can get herself out by swimming to the wall and climbing out!

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 12:14 pm
thank you all for your responses! you definitely brought up some issues I hadn't really thought through. I'm not sure what we'll do, but I'm happy to hear about all the issues.

greenfire

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 1:03 pm
a pool cover is scary if you ask me ... if a kid learns to switch it open & shut ... you are in worse trouble ...

and warm water is like swimming in pee ... fyi ...

with the proper construction and maintenance - anything could be done ...

don't forget to paint the inside a nice shade of aqua ... Wink

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 2:00 pm
if op does it, we need to tryit out andf make a Meet there Smile

cindy324

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 3:02 pm
The electronic pool cover sounds good. I was In Mexico for succos last year, and the people I stayed by ( in a family only compound) they had the men's pool in the middle of the grounds with a gate surrounding it. As an added safety feature, in case a child climbs over the gate, they installed a motion detecting alarm that sounded like the alarm before an air-raid, LOL , as soon as anyone got on the wrong side of the gate. We found this out when DH left something by the pool, and jumped the gate after they locked it.

You should've seen everyone running in a panic.

loveit

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 3:56 pm
Quote:
a pool cover is scary if you ask me ... if a kid learns to switch it open & shut ... you are in worse trouble ...

True, however with the electronic pool cover, my inlaws have the switch button installed high up on the wall, I can't really reach it (I'm not so tall) so in this case it would be difficult for a child to reach it unless they grabbed a stool, etc. I would hope by that age they know how to swim!!

Like one of the other posters said, DH loved growing up with a pool, even now we go over often to use it. He said growing up in the summer they pretty much lived in the pool. So I think if you're up for the maintenance (which isn't so bad, you hire a company to send someone out every so often to check the levels and maybe clean it - but you can also teach all that stuff to your DH and with a pool cover you won't have to clean it so often)

If you decide to go with it, enjoy, your kids will have great summer memories!!

Tehilla

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 4:00 pm
Quote:
Remember the little girl from FL who drowned at a family event this past summer?

this is the reason why I would make sure my children know how to swim, and why I never ever want a pool. one chance in a million (and I'm sure the odds are unfortunately greater than that), is still too much for me.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 4:01 pm
It's even halacha to teach them to swim. But if they fall they may not be able to swim c'v.

Squash

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 10:02 pm
I'm with those who would never ever want a pool. just the thought of the potential danger gives me goosebumps.

Starhavah

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:46 am
I think a pool in your backyard is a great thing!! Of course I am biased, I grew up with a pool in my backyard in Florida and I now work part-time as a lifeguard and swim teacher.

Pool maintanence is easy. When you have the pool installed ask them to level the chemicals (first leveling is difficult there are wild swings for the first week or so if not done correctly) after that it takes about 5 minutes per day to keep the levels stable. There are many places that offer classes in pool chemicals. Take one. Check with you local YMCA. They have a certified pool operators course that is very good, but you have to already have an idea about how to balance the chemicals first or you won't understand the course. When installing a pool check into heating systems. Pool heaters will extend the number of months you can use the pool.

I do not believe that having a pool will lower your home's value. Every home I have ever seen no matter where I have lived, has gone for more money with a pool not less.

Feel free to PM me for more info or for help with the chemicals (assuming you do it).

Star Havah

jayne

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 10:37 am
We bought a house that already had a pool. Our kids love it. I find it a huge drain of energy--I spend the entire summer sitting out there watching kids. (In our neighborhood, kids just gravitate to the few houses with pools and few of them have anyone available to help lifeguard.) Before my kids were old enough to really swim, I'd constantly scan the bottom of the pool for casualties. We save by taking care of the pool ourselves and my husband hates all of the work. If you can afford a pool service that will open, close, and maintain the pool, then great. For us it's a bittersweet experience.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics