Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Thinking of putting in a swimming pool- any recommendations?
Previous  1  2

tzipp

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 11:37 am
Pool alternatives:

http://www.target.com/Small-Wo.....age=1

http://www.target.com/Small-Wo.....age=1

Well, not really, but kids can still have fun with water without a pool...

JRKmommy

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 1:38 am
I wouldn't consider a pool if you have children under 5.

A good friend of mine lost her dd a year ago when she drowned in the backyard pool. The pool had a fence around it.

All the fancy covers and gizmos wouldn't have helped with the little girl in Florida, because she got into the pool during a party.

I was a lifeguard and swim instructor for years, and taught many preschool classes. It is very difficult for any child under 5 to be "water safe". Swimming lessons will help a child overcome fear of the water and get a head start on skill development, but to be "water-safe", you have to be able to recover if you fall into the water suddenly, while wearing clothes, and be able to swim across the pool and have the strength to pull yourself out, even if the water is cold. Many young children can swim short distances, but either can't make it all the way across the pool, or if they can, don't have the strength to pull themselves out. In some cases, children may actually be more vulnerable, because the natural fear of the water is lost. A parent must be in the water, within arms' reach, with any child under 5.

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 9:30 am
I would looooove to have a pool... I really am a pool person.. and I go crazy now that I live in a house without a pool.. buuuu Crying Why are so many people being so negative about a pool?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics