Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
So nice to give each child individual attention!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 4:57 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Since Florida looks like Williamsburg NY in the middle of the winter its very "immodest"
LOL

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 5:00 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
That's absurd and controlling. The school is supposed to work for the parents.

No, it's not absurd. Rules are established as a result of people don't have common sense.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 5:10 pm
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
No, it's not absurd. Rules are established as a result of people don't have common sense.

If people don't have common sense, it's their business.

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 5:20 pm
I happen to think that midwinter was taken to the next level. Anyone agree? I hv one 11 year old dd. We spent a beautiful time together. Eating out and just enjoying each other’s company. She was over the moon! Until.... she came back to school and Other’s were smirking at such a nebby vacation AND were bz advertising their 5 star vacation! I’m working on making her feel confident and sure of herself but honestly I think it’s beyond crazy! I cud afford such a vacation too I just think it’s crazy how it became the standard and anything else is nerdy...
So yes! The schools definitely have a point!

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 5:22 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
If people don't have common sense, it's their business.

If it's not in line with the schools hashkafa, it becomes the schools business. This is one of the rules I agree with.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 5:27 pm
If it's not in line with the schools hashkafa, it becomes the schools business. This is one of the rules I agree with.

If the parent body doesn't align with the school's hashkafa, the school should close down and let another open in its place or reevaluate its hashkafa.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 5:28 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
I happen to think that midwinter was taken to the next level. Anyone agree? I hv one 11 year old dd. We spent a beautiful time together. Eating out and just enjoying each other’s company. She was over the moon! Until.... she came back to school and Other’s were smirking at such a nebby vacation AND were bz advertising their 5 star vacation! I’m working on making her feel confident and sure of herself but honestly I think it’s beyond crazy! I cud afford such a vacation too I just think it’s crazy how it became the standard and anything else is nerdy...
So yes! The schools definitely have a point!

There's definitely a point to not having over the top vacations, but that has nothing to do with whether or not it's a family vacation. Very fancy people can overspend on their kids one at a time too.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 7:37 pm
Wow. I had no idea this was going on. Bh one pressure we don’t have... grew up without midwinter break and my kids don’t either have.

Congresswoman

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 7:40 pm
sequoia wrote:

1. Don’t frum Jews LIVE in Florida? How can an entire state be immodest?

2. Why do they assume that’s where families will go? They might go to Colorado, Vermont, Barcelona, Tallin, Baden-Baden, or any number of other places on earth.

Lol! I love you sequoia...

OOTforlife

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 8:06 pm
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I love your tongue in cheek title OP!

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 9:36 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Families can go on vacation. The problem is some families fly on vacation, take the whole family to a hotel and do the theme parks or hit the slopes while others with smaller budgets have a hard time just taking all the kids out for pizza. There’s no way to get everyone to make the same simple weddings and there wasn’t a good reason for that. This is harder because it’s kids. They come back to school after winter break and the ones in the moncler coats have fabulous stories to tell while the ones in the hand me downs look on and feel let down.
Schools try to arrange schedules that make it hard for the vacationers but it’s not working.
Like the outrageous cost of summers at the bungalow with the toddlers while sending the big ones to sleep away camps, the cost of flying the family to Mexico or a ski vacation during winter break is becoming part of the tri state budget. Taking the kids bowling and buying them burgers and fries afterwards is so 1997. No self respecting child will tell their friends that’s what they did in mid-winter break.
On the plus side the families with their last names over the entrance to their kids Yeshiva don’t have to worry about keeping their kids out an extra few days so they could get everyone away at the same time.

And what's wrong with teaching kids life skills - like stop pretending that everyone gets the same things in life. Perhaps if kids would learn early on that people will have and can afford different things, we wouldn't have the conformity issues we have today - as well as outrageous simcha and other expenses.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 9:39 pm

It is absurd. Because if you want to implement things like this, then carry the weight of your word on your own shoulders. If you don't want kids to go on vacation - then don't give vacation! Keep them in school, and turn it into a fun week for the kids. No learning, and offer all kinds of fun activities. But rather than doing that, they take the vacation and turn it into a work & scheduling disaster for the parents. No thought about the parents at all.

Figuring out a solution that creates hardships for the entire parent body is absurd. Either put your money where your mouth is, or shut up.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 9:46 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
It is absurd. Because if you want to implement things like this, then carry the weight of your word on your own shoulders. If you don't want kids to go on vacation - then don't give vacation! Keep them in school, and turn it into a fun week for the kids. No learning, and offer all kinds of fun activities. But rather than doing that, they take the vacation and turn it into a work & scheduling disaster for the parents. No thought about the parents at all.

Figuring out a solution that creates hardships for the entire parent body is absurd. Either put your money where your mouth is, or shut up.

This 100%
Can’t stand when schools tell us how to spend vacation time. Don’t watch. Don’t travel. Don’t meet up with a bunch of girls from the class. Sheesh!

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 9:48 pm

Another thing that's absurd about this is that it takes away an opportunity for family time. Yomim Tovim is a time when parents are usually stressed and very busy. During the summer, some of the kids are away at camp. This one period in the winter can be a beautiful time for the entire family to spend together without hectic Yom Tov activity.

The kids would have much a nicer vacation if everyone would be off together. Tatty & Mommy wouldn't be so stressed about having to take too many days of work, and having kids home for so many days on end. Thinking along spending individual time with the kids only works for the first group, because mommy & tatty only have so much goodwill to extend as they get more and more on edge with each passing day.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 5:02 am
adar wrote:
Years ago the rumor was the schools did that on purpose so families wouldn't travel but it's only harder especially for working parents

All that ends up happening is those of us who want to go on a family vacation take the other kids out of school. Happens all the time in my daughter’s school. Thankfully they don’t seem to care much and have no rules about where you can or can’t go. And then this thing that a lot of boys schools don’t give vacation at all? So ridiculous. These poor boys don’t get a break. However, if this is where you choose to send your kids to school then 🤷‍♀️

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 5:21 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
All that ends up happening is those of us who want to go on a family vacation take the other kids out of school. Happens all the time in my daughter’s school. Thankfully they don’t seem to care much and have no rules about where you can or can’t go. And then this thing that a lot of boys schools don’t give vacation at all? So ridiculous. These poor boys don’t get a break. However, if this is where you choose to send your kids to school then 🤷‍♀️

Only rich people could get away with this in most schools.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 7:14 am
The schools don't want the kids to go to immodest places. My kids school has a rule that kids can't go to Florida. If anyone goes to Florida, they get suspended.

This IMO is a ridiculous rule. Like my father said the first time he heard it, "You can't go to Florida? Let's go to Vegas for vacation instead..."

amother
Currant

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 7:17 am
Ok, I hear the whole Florida issue, but does anyone other than me actually enjoy spending one on one time with their kids? I love when I have them one at a time and I can give them individual attention.

ETA- I am blessed with a very poorly paying job, but lots of flexibility. (At at my pay rate, if I need to take a few days unpaid, it makes no difference. Just don’t touch my healthcare).

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 8:01 am
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
Only rich people could get away with this in most schools.

What do the schools do to the not rich people who do this?

justforfun87

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 8:12 am
Never go to Florida or only during winter break? What if grandparents live in FL can these families get a "heter" from the school?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children