Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
So nice to give each child individual attention!
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Valerian

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 11:52 am
justforfun87 wrote:
Never go to Florida or only during winter break? What if grandparents live in FL can these families get a "heter" from the school?

The school rule is that students can't got to Florida at all. If there's a valid reason to go (visit family, medical issue...) you need to let the school know about it.

amother
Valerian

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 11:54 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
This IMO is a ridiculous rule. Like my father said the first time he heard it, "You can't go to Florida? Let's go to Vegas for vacation instead..."

It's not a ridiculous rule. The rule includes going to immodest vacation destinations in general.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 11:57 am
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
It's not a ridiculous rule. The rule includes going to immodest vacation destinations in general.

Um... the rule is you can't go to Florida...not that you can't go to "immodest vacation spots"
Either way I am not a big fan of schools dictating things like that. I believe that these sorts of things should be left to the parents.

Simple1

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 12:30 pm
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
Which schools? My oldest is in elementary school. Both cheder and bf have off this weekend and my playgroup Morahs are on the same schedule. I know high school and mesivta age have different schedules but once they're teenagers I assume they can watch themselves

I wouldn't go on a nice trip and leave them behind.

I don't mind the reduced pressure. If a family needs to go away, take them out of school.

The part that is annoying is that working parents have to take off twice if they want to be there for the kids.

amother
Valerian

Post Fri, Jan 28 2022, 12:31 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Um... the rule is you can't go to Florida...not that you can't go to "immodest vacation spots"
Either way I am not a big fan of schools dictating things like that. I believe that these sorts of things should be left to the parents.

In my girls school, the rule is no Florida or any immodest vacation destinations. Because Florida is the most popular vacation destination for families, they emphasize on no Florida.

amother
Hosta

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 2:52 pm
I can't understand why a person would enroll their children in a school whose rules they disagree with.

DrMom

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 5:58 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
Never go to Florida or only during winter break? What if grandparents live in FL can these families get a "heter" from the school?

amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
The school rule is that students can't got to Florida at all. If there's a valid reason to go (visit family, medical issue...) you need to let the school know about it.

You pay to send your child to school, and then you need to ask their permission to visit your own parents (your kids' own grandparents)?

That is so messed up.

The problem is only going to get worse as more Jews move from the Tri-State area to Florida.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:09 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
What do the schools do to the not rich people who do this?
I worked in a school with that rule. Rich families would take their kids out and admin would shrug like what are we supposed to do. Not rich people I assume would get a call from the school letting them know it’s unacceptable. But I never experienced a not rich person pulling their kid out for a week long trip.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children