Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help my Poor baby, so congested. (UPDATE-COVID)
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 5:34 am
12 week old baby can’t breathe through his nose. Makes terrible noises when nursing I’m going crazy. Cool mist vaporizer not helping. This is going on for weeks. Way too long! Tried saline drops and syringe. Dr gave me nebulizer with saline not with medication. Tried it once before shabbos. He has a scary cough also at night and can barely catch his breath.. I’m super worried. Going on vacation soon; will the warm weathers help? What can I do to clear his airways?

ice coffee

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 5:37 am
As gross as it sounds, this was the only thing that ever worked. First saline to soften then suction. Baby Nasal Aspirator NoseFrida the Snotsucker with 20 Extra Hygiene Filters by Frida Baby https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R.....psc=1

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 5:42 am
ice coffee wrote:
As gross as it sounds, this was the only thing that ever worked. First saline to soften then suction. Baby Nasal Aspirator NoseFrida the Snotsucker with 20 Extra Hygiene Filters by Frida Baby https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R.....psc=1

thank you, I tried this yesterday when a neighbor suggested it. Nothing came out. I think the congestion is in his chest, although the dr said it’s clear

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 5:47 am
I’m afraid he’s developing a croup. I have orapred home, I’ve seen on a previous thread, someone said to give in its first stages, but afraid to do so on my own. Anyone heard of Dr Suzanne Humphris cough protocol ?

ice coffee

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 5:49 am
Did you saline first? This step is crucial. If you did that and no results, I would guess that it’s not a nasal issue. Or it could be that the nasal passages are inflamed which could definitely make it hard to breath.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 6:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
12 week old baby can’t breathe through his nose. Makes terrible noises when nursing I’m going crazy. Cool mist vaporizer not helping. This is going on for weeks. Way too long! Tried saline drops and syringe. Dr gave me nebulizer with saline not with medication. Tried it once before shabbos. He has a scary cough also at night and can barely catch his breath.. I’m super worried. Going on vacation soon; will the warm weathers help? What can I do to clear his airways?

Double post

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jan 30 2022, 6:18 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 6:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I could write this post word for word! I'm up now with a screaming baby who is hungry but can't nurse properly because of her congestion. She's so uncomfortable and sad. I've tried everything and this has been going on for way too long!

lotus2525

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 6:27 am
Had the same. I Wasn't using the saline correctly till a mother in this site helped me. You put the baby on its side and spray fast and a lot, till it comes out of the other nostril. Then you suction and repeat on other side. Also used humidifier and nebulizer. Keep baby upright since post nasal drip can give them a terrifying cough.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 6:31 am
What about a humidifier in the room?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 6:39 am
Take your baby back to the doctor today. Have the doctor show you how to spray saline into the nose where it comes through the second nostril, it’s scary but it can avoid hospital er visits.
The other thing is. I’m sorry if you’re going on vacation you don’t want to end up in er on vacation. I had my baby with a cough a few months ago and she was coughing so much and hard to eat we ended up in the hospital. Firstly, maybe your doc can do a viral panel to see which virus she has. Second, you need to make sure your baby is breathing ok. Check that as she breaths her rib cages aren’t being pulled in so much and that her head isn’t bobbling. Also that she isn’t breathing so fast. If ever unsure call you pediatrician or Hatzalah. Refuah shelama . 12 weeks is still little, don’t do anything without guidance from a pediatrician

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 6:45 am
Have the same thing here, it’s been going on for so long already. I elevated his crib and did steam showers which helped a bit but not enough… good luck!

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 7:22 am
Maybe try hot vapor in his face, especially nose, for extended periods
But do it safely so he doesn't get burnt.

Is there a decongestant for that age?

Beingreal

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 7:54 am
Elevate his crib mattress by putting a pillow underneath. It helps and works with also a cool mist humidifier.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 9:09 am
Beingreal wrote:
Elevate his crib mattress by putting a pillow underneath. It helps and works with also a cool mist humidifier.

Doing cold mist for 2 weeks already. With eucalyptus oil inside which is supposed to be great. And mattress is elevated

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 9:11 am
Elevated mattress
Humidifier toward him
Saline
Hot shower room

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 9:24 am
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:

Yes dr gave me a decongestant. Bottle says not for young children, but I guess I can try 2 drops.
Another thread mentioned only cool air. Nothing warm. Put baby in front of freezer to inhale the cool vapor. I wonder if I should do it while he’s coughing or anytime is good?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 9:30 am
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:

Benadryl.
Dr has given me the go ahead to give one dose of Benadryl to help with internal congestion.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 9:45 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Benadryl.
Dr has given me the go ahead to give one dose of Benadryl to help with internal congestion.

Going to the urgent care soon, will ask about that. Thanks.
Drs office was a mad house Friday! And today probably too. No Flu patients, just everyone is having either a cold or lingering side effects. Such a tough winter

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 9:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m afraid he’s developing a croup. I have orapred home, I’ve seen on a previous thread, someone said to give in its first stages, but afraid to do so on my own. Anyone heard of Dr Suzanne Humphris cough protocol ?

she is such a wise woman
can u share her protocal plz

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 10:30 am
Beingreal wrote:

Anything added to the crib besides a mattress with a proper fitted sheet is not safe. Unless your baby is on a medical grade monitor, they should not be sleeping at an incline. Best that you or your DH to hold the baby upright in a steamed bathroom.

Everything else CAN wait.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics