Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Adar alef/bais interesting cases
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 04 2022, 10:10 am
Does anyone here know of interesting cases that come out because of the two adars, (which most years it's only one). Like I heard its possible that a person and his cousin be born in the same year. One on the middle of adar alef and one on the beggining of adar beis and when it comes the time of their bar mitzvah the year is reg. and the later becomes older first. Anyone have any stories like this ?

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Feb 04 2022, 10:20 am
My brother was as born yud gimmel Adar alef.
My cousin was born Yud beis Adar sheini.

The year of their bar mitzvah was not a leap year. So the cousin who was born a month later had his bar mitzvah a day before.

amother
Bone

Post Fri, Feb 04 2022, 10:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone here know of interesting cases that come out because of the two adars, (which most years it's only one). Like I heard its possible that a person and his cousin be born in the same year. One on the middle of adar alef and one on the beggining of adar beis and when it comes the time of their bar mitzvah the year is reg. and the later becomes older first. Anyone have any stories like this ?

We have exactly that scenario.

If someone is born or nifter on the last day of adar Alef (lamed) it gets very confusing. Bec that day doesn’t exist in non-leap years. We were told to keep 2 days as yartzeit for last day Adar alef on no leap years. (30 shevat and 29 Adar beis).
Also affects a bar mitzvah boy bar mitzvah date.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Feb 04 2022, 10:30 am
My son was born the beginning of Adar B. But his Bar Mitzvah was not in Leap Year. So his Bar Mitzvah was before two of his classmates who were older than him, but born at the end of Adar A.

amother
Hunter

Post Fri, Feb 04 2022, 10:31 am
Not exactly the same case. But cool nonetheless.
My brother got married the week after Purim. His wife had a baby a year later the week of his anniversary (the week after Purim). She had another baby the next year in Adar Aleph. The kids are 12 months apart. The cool thing is that one year Purim she had no kids, the next year she had 2.

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, Feb 04 2022, 11:00 am
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
We have exactly that scenario.

If someone is born or nifter on the last day of adar Alef (lamed) it gets very confusing. Bec that day doesn’t exist in non-leap years. We were told to keep 2 days as yartzeit for last day Adar alef on no leap years. (30 shevat and 29 Adar beis).
Also affects a bar mitzvah boy bar mitzvah date.

Lamed adar alef is a confusing date but so is lamed shevat for a boys birthday if his bar mitzvah falls on a leap year.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 04 2022, 12:49 pm
So I guess in some years one is older than the other and some years the other way around.

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Feb 04 2022, 12:54 pm
My husband was born in adar aleph, his sister the next year in aleph beis. Even though he was 12 months when she was born most years they are Irish twins-the same age for a bit.

amother
Dahlia

Post Fri, Feb 04 2022, 3:47 pm
Hypothetical situation.
If twins are born a few minutes apart, one on ל אדר א and the other on א אדר ב their birthdays are a month apart on a year that there’s just one Adar with the younger one’s birthday being first!

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Feb 04 2022, 4:05 pm
I was born adar Aleph.
My son asked me how old I "really" am.
I said, I don't know, maybe 5?
He was tickled pink that he was "older" than me!

Afterwards my husband told me it occurs 7 times in 19 years, so I'm at least 14, and that means I'm older than my son. Oh well.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 04 2022, 4:14 pm
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:
I was born adar Aleph.
My son asked me how old I "really" am.
I said, I don't know, maybe 5?
He was tickled pink that he was "older" than me!

Afterwards my husband told me it occurs 7 times in 19 years, so I'm at least 14, and that means I'm older than my son. Oh well.
LOL LOL LOL

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, Feb 04 2022, 4:37 pm
Apparently this year there are no bar mitzvos Adar alef as 13 years ago there was only one Adar so all those bar mitzvos are in Adar beis

Iymnok

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 12:59 pm
My son was born afar Alef 8 years ago. His bar mitzvah will be in adar Alef!

essie14

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 1:48 pm
amother [ NeonBlue ] wrote:
Apparently this year there are no bar mitzvos Adar alef as 13 years ago there was only one Adar so all those bar mitzvos are in Adar beis

That's a cool fact!

amother
Glitter

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 6:18 pm
amother [ NeonBlue ] wrote:

With the "exception" of 1st day Rosh Chodesh Adar - which is actually 30 Shevat.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 6:20 pm
Well this shabbos we were discussing at the table this topic and DH added that in the times of the bais hamikdash where a second adar was determined by bais din (not necessarily every 3 years) If someone was to become bar mitzvah in adar (born in a reg year) and becomes bar mitzvah (lets say ches adar) and then bais din decides to makes two adars,(which now the birthday of the boy is adar bais) it would be interesting what would happen now. Would the boy unturn bar mitzvah or would he keep his status ?

amother
Stone

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 7:19 pm
My (very precocious) son was very sad that there will still be 3 Adars before his upsherin. And the leap year was the year he turned 2.

This year he decided to celebrate both birthdays, so if you ask how old he is, he's 'pretend 5'.

We actually are planning a sweet 16 for my mom this year. LOL

amother
Dustypink

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 8:00 pm
My daughter was born yud gimmel adar alef. Her birthday comes out on Taanis Esther most years. She's very excited to have an adar alef this year!

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 8:36 pm
My brother was born on יד אדר א. His birthday ends up being celebrated on Purim day most years even though he was born a month before Purim.

annalee

Post Sat, Feb 05 2022, 8:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes. Happened to my husband. Was born in afar aleph and friend born three weeks after him was bar mitzvah first.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days